need plain PS (not PDF) output

Kieren MacMillan
Hi, everyone!

First of all, WOW on the downloadable-installable-executable Mac OS X
(and others) version 2.6 -- I can now start telling a LOT more of my
colleagues that they should move to Lilypond...  =)

I need straight PS output (to manipulate in Illustrator), not PDF.
However, I can't determine where to put the --ps flag, and when I try
to run from the command line, I get errors (can't find
/users/hanwen/...lib, etc.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Kieren.

Re: need plain PS (not PDF) output

Paul Scott-3
Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:

> Hi, everyone!
>
> First of all, WOW on the downloadable-installable-executable Mac OS X
> (and others) version 2.6 -- I can now start telling a LOT more of my
> colleagues that they should move to Lilypond...  =)
>
> I need straight PS output (to manipulate in Illustrator), not PDF.
> However, I can't determine where to put the --ps flag, and when I try
> to run from the command line, I get errors (can't find
> /users/hanwen/...lib, etc.).

I have never run Lily on a Mac but everywhere else I do:

lilypond --ps music.ly

Paul Scott

Re: need plain PS (not PDF) output

Robert Memering
Am Freitag, 22. Juli 2005 15:57 schrieb Kieren Richard MacMillan:
> I need straight PS output (to manipulate in Illustrator), not PDF.
> However, I can't determine where to put the --ps flag, and when I try
> to run from the command line, I get errors (can't find
> /users/hanwen/...lib, etc.).

As a workaround, you could just print your PDFs into PS-files
from acroread. If doing this by hand for every file is too cumbersome,
you can use acroread on the command line and write a small script
for "batch-mode".

Robert

Re: need plain PS (not PDF) output

Mats Bengtsson-6

Robert Memering wrote:

> Am Freitag, 22. Juli 2005 15:57 schrieb Kieren Richard MacMillan:
>
>>I need straight PS output (to manipulate in Illustrator), not PDF.
>>However, I can't determine where to put the --ps flag, and when I try
>>to run from the command line, I get errors (can't find
>>/users/hanwen/...lib, etc.).
>

> As a workaround, you could just print your PDFs into PS-files
> from acroread. If doing this by hand for every file is too cumbersome,
> you can use acroread on the command line and write a small script
> for "batch-mode".

Or use the command pdf2ps which comes with Ghostscript (at second
thought, it seems to be missing in the Ghostscript installation that
is included in the LilyPond installation for Windows).

    /Mats

> Robert

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: need plain PS (not PDF) output

Graham Percival

On 25-Jul-05, at 2:10 PM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Robert Memering wrote:
>> Am Freitag, 22. Juli 2005 15:57 schrieb Kieren Richard MacMillan:
>>> I need straight PS output (to manipulate in Illustrator), not PDF.
>>> However, I can't determine where to put the --ps flag, and when I try
>>> to run from the command line, I get errors (can't find
>>> /users/hanwen/...lib, etc.).
>> As a workaround, you could just print your PDFs into PS-files
>> from acroread. If doing this by hand for every file is too cumbersome,

These workarounds are neat, but the real issue is this:

How do you adds flags to lilypond when it's being run from the
binary installer?  If you run it from the command line, then shouldn't
we fix this "/users/hanwen/..lib" problem?  If you can add them
in the GUI (and IMO this should be possible), then is it easy to locate
these settings?

Re: need plain PS (not PDF) output

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:
> Hi, everyone!
>
> First of all, WOW on the downloadable-installable-executable Mac OS X
> (and others) version 2.6 -- I can now start telling a LOT more of my

Yes! Glad appreciate it.

You can send your donations to [hidden email] :-)

> I need straight PS output (to manipulate in Illustrator), not PDF.
> However, I can't determine where to put the --ps flag, and when I try to
> run from the command line, I get errors (can't find
> /users/hanwen/...lib, etc.).

have you followed the instructions in the README file for running from
the command line?

Re: Re: need plain PS (not PDF) output

Kieren MacMillan
Hi, Han-Wen:

> You can send your donations to [hidden email] :-)

Might just do that...  =)

> have you followed the instructions in the README file
> for running from the command line?

I believe so, but I get the error (it seems to be looking for your hard drive for build data).

As Graham wrote in his email, the real question is how/where do (can) one put command line options in the Lilypond app (GUI) so that one doesn't HAVE to resort to the command line?

Thanks,

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi, Han-Wen:
>

>>You can send your donations to [hidden email] :-)
>

> Might just do that...  =)
>

>>have you followed the instructions in the README file
>>for running from the command line?
>

> I believe so, but I get the error (it seems to be looking for your hard drive for build data).

That's quite possible, but I need a full log of what happens to debug
the problem. Needless to say, the last time I tried, the command-line
version did work.

> As Graham wrote in his email, the real question is how/where do (can) one put command line options in the Lilypond app (GUI) so that one doesn't HAVE to resort to the command line?

I think the proper place to specify command-line options is ... on the
command line.  The GUI app is not really intended for those that have
special needs (i.e. that need command line switches). However, I am
willing to consider such control as a sponsored features.

> Thanks,
> Kieren.

Re: need plain PS (not PDF) output

Erik Sandberg-2
On Friday 22 July 2005 15.57, Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:
> Hi, everyone!
>
> First of all, WOW on the downloadable-installable-executable Mac OS X
> (and others) version 2.6 -- I can now start telling a LOT more of my
> colleagues that they should move to Lilypond...  =)
>
> I need straight PS output (to manipulate in Illustrator), not PDF.

Did you consider SVG output as well? I don't know about Illustrator, but I
think that in most cases, it should be easier to manipulate SVG than PS.

Erik