naïve note-lyric spacing resolution

Kieren MacMillan
Hello again,

Here's another example, solved a different way.

BEFORE. Even with lyrics horizontally compressed to help, there are visible note-spacing distortions:

AFTER. I \omit-ted the lyrics (so that note-spacing reverted to 100% 'neutral' spacing), then added the text back in (without any horizontal glyph compression required!) as a hand-tweaked markup:

There are obviously improvements that could still be made, but this is closer to what I want in my score than the "BEFORE" version. If I could take a *little* of the space out after each non-16th note and gain it back after each 16th, it would be nearly perfect.

Regardless, this takes a *huge* amount of manual effort — as much as I hate to admit it, it takes more effort even than it would in something like Finale or Sibelius [!!].

Any help (however hackish) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: naïve note-lyric spacing resolution

Simon Albrecht-2
On 15.06.2017 17:38, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

> There are obviously improvements that could still be made, but this is
> closer to what I want in my score than the "BEFORE" version.

Hi Kieren,

that’s quite nice and I definitely agree lyrics spacing should go in
that direction. I once imagined one might solve this by calculating
‘lyrics density’ at all places and making LyricText.self-alignment-X
proportional to the first derivative of lyrics density. But certainly
that would involve at least an engraver, and is nothing I could
implement myself.
Currently, the best bet would probably be a mod-list of
LyricText.self-alignment-X overrides through the edition-engraver…

Best, Simon

Re: naïve note-lyric spacing resolution

Jan-Peter Voigt
Hi Kieren,

I use some helper functions to enter edition-mods of the same kind.
Again this might not be self-explaining ... but perhaps you get the
idea. And of course: maybe it is more sufficient to use the
markup-hammer and separate the lyrics from the music with a mace!

Jan-Peter

Am 15.06.2017 um 17:38 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:

> Hello again,
>
> Here's another example, solved a different way.
>
> BEFORE. Even with lyrics horizontally compressed to help, there are
> visible note-spacing distortions:
>

> AFTER. I \omit-ted the lyrics (so that note-spacing reverted to 100%
> 'neutral' spacing), then added the text back in (without any horizontal
> glyph compression required!) as a hand-tweaked markup:
>

> There are obviously improvements that could still be made, but this is
> closer to what I want in my score than the "BEFORE" version. If I could
> take a *little* of the space out after each non-16th note and gain it
> back after each 16th, it would be nearly perfect.
>
> Regardless, this takes a *huge* amount of manual effort — as much as I
> hate to admit it, it takes more effort even than it would in something
> like Finale or Sibelius [!!].
>
> Any help (however hackish) would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.
>
> Kieren MacMillan, composer
> ‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>
> ‣ email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

modLists.ly (3K) Download Attachment