musicxml export

mj

musicxml export

mj
Hi,

I noticed that there is musicxml2ly, but is there also some ly2musicxml
functionality?

I use frescobaldi, but also there (version 2.18.2) the function is not
present.

Does lilypond only IMPORT musicxml?

Regards,
MJ

Re: musicxml export

Urs Liska

Am 09.04.2016 um 23:03 schrieb mj:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that there is musicxml2ly, but is there also some
> ly2musicxml functionality?
>
> I use frescobaldi, but also there (version 2.18.2) the function is not
> present.
>
> Does lilypond only IMPORT musicxml?

In Frescobaldi you have to enable "Experimental features" in the
Preferences dialog to access the MusicXML export.
And as this suggests: it is still very experimental.
But by using it (and sending reports) you can help improve it.

HTH
Urs

> Regards,
> MJ

Re: musicxml export

Martin Tarenskeen

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016, mj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that there is musicxml2ly, but is there also some ly2musicxml
> functionality?
>
> I use frescobaldi, but also there (version 2.18.2) the function is not
> present.

The function is present, but hidden because it is still an experimental
feature.

In Frescobaldi you enable it in

Edit -> Preferences... -> General Preferences: Experimental Features

Warning: It's hidden as "experimental" with a reason. Don't expect
miracles from it.

--

MT

mj

Re: musicxml export

mj
Thanks for the quick responses!

MJ

On 04/09/2016 11:27 PM, Urs Liska wrote:

> Am 09.04.2016 um 23:03 schrieb mj:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that there is musicxml2ly, but is there also some
>> ly2musicxml functionality?
>>
>> I use frescobaldi, but also there (version 2.18.2) the function is not
>> present.
>>
>> Does lilypond only IMPORT musicxml?
>
> In Frescobaldi you have to enable "Experimental features" in the
> Preferences dialog to access the MusicXML export.
> And as this suggests: it is still very experimental.
> But by using it (and sending reports) you can help improve it.
>
> HTH
> Urs
>

>> Regards,
>> MJ

mj

Re: musicxml export

mj
Hi all,

On 04/09/2016 11:34 PM, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> Warning: It's hidden as "experimental" with a reason. Don't expect
> miracles from it.

Played with it a little bit, and yes, agreed... it is still a little bit
bumpy, yes... :-)

Leaving out \chordmode improves the musicxml output quite a bit, btw.
The only error that remains is "Unknown command \break", and the
resulting file imports ok into musescore, for example.

Reason I like musicxml (besides being able to import lilypond stuff into
other programs) is that Gustaf (https://gogustaf.com) uses it as it's
native file format. It would be useful to be able to import my lilypond
files into my digital sheet music library there.

Unfortunately I am no programmer myself, so I can't help out practically.

Anyway, thanks for the helping to find the option in frescobali.

MJ

Re: musicxml export

Urs Liska

Am 10. April 2016 12:52:19 MESZ, schrieb mj <[hidden email]>:

>Hi all,
>
>On 04/09/2016 11:34 PM, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
>> Warning: It's hidden as "experimental" with a reason. Don't expect
>> miracles from it.
>>

>Played with it a little bit, and yes, agreed... it is still a little
>bit
>bumpy, yes... :-)
>
>Leaving out \chordmode improves the musicxml output quite a bit, btw.
>The only error that remains is "Unknown command \break", and the
>resulting file imports ok into musescore, for example.
>
>Reason I like musicxml (besides being able to import lilypond stuff
>into
>other programs) is that Gustaf (https://gogustaf.com) uses it as it's
>native file format. It would be useful to be able to import my lilypond
>
>files into my digital sheet music library there.
>
>Unfortunately I am no programmer myself, so I can't help out
>practically.

You *can* help by opening issues with concrete examples and descriptions at https://github.com/wbsoft/python-ly/issues.

Urs

>Anyway, thanks for the helping to find the option in frescobali.
>
>MJ

Re: musicxml export

Martin Tarenskeen

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016, mj wrote:

> Hi all,
> Anyway, thanks for the helping to find the option in frescobali.

P.S. Frescobaldi uses the python-ly library. It's part of the Frescobaldi
installer (I guess).

There is also a standalone commandline utility called "ly" (python script)
that can do this, and several other tricks with lilypond files, without
frescobaldi. (It has exactly the same flaws off coarse)

--

MT

Re: musicxml export

Urs Liska

Am 10. April 2016 16:32:33 MESZ, schrieb Martin Tarenskeen <[hidden email]>:

>On Sun, 10 Apr 2016, mj wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Anyway, thanks for the helping to find the option in frescobali.
>
>P.S. Frescobaldi uses the python-ly library. It's part of the
>Frescobaldi
>installer (I guess).
>
>There is also a standalone commandline utility called "ly" (python
>script)
>that can do this, and several other tricks with lilypond files, without
>
>frescobaldi. (It has exactly the same flaws off coarse)

And FWIW I'm currently writing a Node.js wrapper for python-ly which will give access to the library for web developers.

Urs