missing term in Icking glossary

M. den Teuling
Christian Mondrup suggested to me to report a missing term in the gossary : tenuto. I had the term myself forgotten even in Dutch, and so I really missed it. Its opposite staccato is present. If there is a term (in Dutch or English or whatsoever) for the decrescendo sign > applied to one note it is missing too. Yours, Arnold den teuling

Re: missing term in Icking glossary

Graham Percival

On 14-Jul-05, at 4:15 AM, M. den Teuling wrote:

> Christian Mondrup suggested to me to report a missing term in the
> gossary : tenuto. I had the term myself forgotten even in Dutch, and
> so I really missed it. Its opposite staccato is present. If there is a
> term (in Dutch or English or whatsoever) for the decrescendo sign >
> applied to one note it is missing too

Thanks.  I believe the term for > applied to one note is accent, which
is present in
the glossary.

I've added an entry for tenuto, but I don't know how to write it in
other language.  Could
anybody help?

Italian, english: tenuto.

ES - Spanish
F - French
D - German
NL - Dutch
DK - Danish
S - Swedish
FI - Finnish

Re: missing term in Icking glossary

David Raleigh Arnold-2
Graham Percival wrote:

> On 14-Jul-05, at 4:15 AM, M. den Teuling wrote:
>
>> Christian Mondrup suggested to me to report a missing term in the
>> gossary : tenuto. I had the term myself forgotten even in Dutch, and
>> so I really missed it. Its opposite staccato is present.

The opposite of staccato is legato.

The reality is that the tenuto mark "-" really doesn't mean anything
very specific, applied to notes that are assumed to be legato anyway,
so it is usually used to point out certain notes, like the entrance
of the subject in a fugue, or it may be the equivalent of an accent
mark. Maybe you could call detache' the opposite of tenuto, but it
isn't really.  daveA