markup text height

Roman V. Isaev

When I type

d'8[( \f ^"Sostenuto" e' f' e' d' e']) |

I get somethig horrible: http://www.soprano-recorder.ru/tmp/question4.gif

Ugh. I have to enter

d'8[( \f ^\markup { " " \raise #1.5 "Sostenuto" } e' f' e' d' e']) |

but it's a lot to type the same markup syntax many times. Is there any way
to do this automagically (i.e. if the text crosses slur line, then raise
the text above slur)? Or at least do that rasing somehow less wordy, like
^^"text" gets raised by #1.0, ^^^"text" gets raised by #2.0, etc?

--
 Roman V. Isaev             http://www.soprano-recorder.ru             Moscow, Russia

Re: markup text height

Mats Bengtsson-6
The standard method to move objects further away from the stave is to
increase the padding, as described in "Common Tweaks" in the manual.
For example
\override TextScript #'padding = #3.0
to move all text scripts upwards. You can also define a macro like
moveup = \once \override TextScript #'padding = #3.0
that you can use
\moveup d^"Sostenuto"

Another popular trick is
d^" "^"Sostenuto"
but I find that more ugly.

    /Mats

Roman V. Isaev wrote:

> When I type
>
> d'8[( \f ^"Sostenuto" e' f' e' d' e']) |
>
> I get somethig horrible: http://www.soprano-recorder.ru/tmp/question4.gif
>
> Ugh. I have to enter
>
> d'8[( \f ^\markup { " " \raise #1.5 "Sostenuto" } e' f' e' d' e']) |
>
> but it's a lot to type the same markup syntax many times. Is there any way
> to do this automagically (i.e. if the text crosses slur line, then raise
> the text above slur)? Or at least do that rasing somehow less wordy, like
> ^^"text" gets raised by #1.0, ^^^"text" gets raised by #2.0, etc?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: markup text height

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Roman V. Isaev wrote:

> When I type
>
> d'8[( \f ^"Sostenuto" e' f' e' d' e']) |
>
> I get somethig horrible: http://www.soprano-recorder.ru/tmp/question4.gif
>
> Ugh. I have to enter
>
> d'8[( \f ^\markup { " " \raise #1.5 "Sostenuto" } e' f' e' d' e']) |
>
> but it's a lot to type the same markup syntax many times. Is there any way
> to do this automagically (i.e. if the text crosses slur line, then raise
> the text above slur)? Or at least do that rasing somehow less wordy, like
> ^^"text" gets raised by #1.0, ^^^"text" gets raised by #2.0, etc?

this is fixed in 2.7.x

Re: markup text height

Roman V. Isaev
On 11/17, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> >but it's a lot to type the same markup syntax many times. Is there any way
> >to do this automagically (i.e. if the text crosses slur line, then raise
> >the text above slur)? Or at least do that rasing somehow less wordy, like
> >^^"text" gets raised by #1.0, ^^^"text" gets raised by #2.0, etc?
> this is fixed in 2.7.x

        Yep, thanks, it worked. It looks like I'm doomed to live with
development branch -- first was 2.5 because of unicode, now 2.7 because of
this :)

        I found another collision:

d'8[( ^"a tempo" \mf _"con passione" cis' a b cis' a]) |

http://www.soprano-recorder.ru/tmp/question5.gif

\mf and "con passione" got messed up. Will this behavior change?

Roman V. Isaev wrote:

> Yep, thanks, it worked. It looks like I'm doomed to live with
> development branch -- first was 2.5 because of unicode, now 2.7 because of
> this :)
>
> I found another collision:
>
> d'8[( ^"a tempo" \mf _"con passione" cis' a b cis' a]) |
>
> http://www.soprano-recorder.ru/tmp/question5.gif
>
> \mf and "con passione" got messed up. Will this behavior change?

perhaps, but for now you have to intervene manually.

I don't think it's unequivocal which one should be on top, so automation
will be difficult.

RE: markup text height

Fairchild
Roman -

Please provide enough translation of http://www.soprano-recorder.ru for an
English-only person, like me, to find your music postings, especially the
Lily code.

                         - Bruce

RE: markup text height

Fairchild
How about compromising with the "mf" and "con passione" on the same vertical
line as the default.  Or, stack them in the order presented, as with
consecutive \markups.

                            - Bruce