\markup text defs between \score blocks

bobroff@centrum.is
I'm working on a project with a friend.  So far I've set up a template
for him where all that is necessary is that he enter the lyrics in one
block, the musical information in another block and then all he has to
do is add another predefined \score block in another file and he's done.
Except for one thing; these are very short pieces (transcriptions of
medieval chants) and there is a need for adding footnotes on the same
page with the music.  I'm trying to avoid using lilypond-book.  I've
found a way to use \markup texts for this purpose.  What I have not
worked out is how to define something like this, which doesn't work:

footnotes = {
        \markup {footnote 1}
        \markup {footnote 2{
}

If I could do that I would be able to keep all the relevant information
stuff (lyrics, music, footnotes} together in the main input file.  As it
stands now I find it necessary to put the footnotes in "by hand"
following each \score block in my "score" file.

Is there a way around this?  Have I missed something in the docs?

-David
LilyPond 2.7.7

Re: \markup text defs between \score blocks

Graham Percival-2

On 21-Aug-05, at 10:38 AM, David Bobroff wrote:

> What I have not
> worked out is how to define something like this, which doesn't work:
>
> footnotes = {
> \markup {footnote 1}
> \markup {footnote 2{
> }
>
> Is there a way around this?  Have I missed something in the docs?

There is no support for automatic footnotes, if that's what you're
asking.
Doing it "by hand" is the only way.

Re: \markup text defs between \score blocks

How about redefining the function that prints the page footer
and include something like \fromproperty #'header:footnotes.
Then you could do
\score{
   some music
   \header{
     footnotes = ...

The default definition can be found in the function
oddFooterMarkup in the file .../ly/titling-init.ly

    /Mats

David Bobroff wrote:

> I'm working on a project with a friend.  So far I've set up a template
> for him where all that is necessary is that he enter the lyrics in one
> block, the musical information in another block and then all he has to
> do is add another predefined \score block in another file and he's done.
> Except for one thing; these are very short pieces (transcriptions of
> medieval chants) and there is a need for adding footnotes on the same
> page with the music.  I'm trying to avoid using lilypond-book.  I've
> found a way to use \markup texts for this purpose.  What I have not
> worked out is how to define something like this, which doesn't work:
>
> footnotes = {
> \markup {footnote 1}
> \markup {footnote 2{
> }
>
> If I could do that I would be able to keep all the relevant information
> stuff (lyrics, music, footnotes} together in the main input file.  As it
> stands now I find it necessary to put the footnotes in "by hand"
> following each \score block in my "score" file.
>
> Is there a way around this?  Have I missed something in the docs?
>
> -David
> LilyPond 2.7.7

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: \markup text defs between \score blocks

Nicolas Sceaux
Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> writes:

> How about redefining the function that prints the page footer
> and include something like \fromproperty #'header:footnotes.
> Then you could do
> \score{
>    some music
>    \header{
>      footnotes = ...
>    }
> }
>
> The default definition can be found in the function
> oddFooterMarkup in the file .../ly/titling-init.ly
>
>     /Mats

I'm not sure that would work (now). Here is a failed attempt:

----8<-----
\version "2.7.6"
\paper {
  noteFooterMarkup = \markup \fill-line {
    \fromproperty #'header:footnotes
    \hspace #1
    bla
  }
  #(define make-footer (marked-up-headfoot 'noteFooterMarkup 'noteFooterMarkup))
}

\header {
%  printallheaders = ##t
  footnotes = "book footnotes"

  { c' }
  \header {
    breakbefore = ##t
    footnotes = "1st score footnotes"
    piece = "1st score"

  { d' }
  \header {
    breakbefore = ##t
    footnotes = "2nd score footnotes"
    piece = "2nd score"

What is printed on both pages is "book footnotes".

nicolas