manuals page [WAS Re: teaching a university module on engraving with lilypond]

manuals page [WAS Re: teaching a university module on engraving with lilypond]

Federico Bruni

You know http://benlemon.me/blog/music/lilypond/operation-lilypond
?

No I didn't know about this, and thank you for linking it. I will take a good look.

This is listed here under "Other material":
http://www.lilypond.org/website/manuals.html

Kevin probably missed it because he doesn't check that page often. But anyway it's not that easy to spot.
I took a few seconds to look at that page with critical eyes and found that it could be improved a lot. As is, it's a kind of strict list which doesn't really guide a new user through the manuals.

I wonder if Urs already started some work in this area, but I know he has more compelling tasks at the moment.

Some thoughts:

- remove Regular use vs Infrequent use sections
- move FAQ and Video tutorials in the Introduction section, which could be renamed to First steps or New users or Introduction for new users
- I'd rather use a conversational approach instead of unordered lists: "Please be aware that LilyPond is a text-based(link) music engraver and read the FAQ(link) before...". "You can see LilyPond in action in the following video tutorials made by Ben Lemon... (a small iframe of youtube video would be great). Then explain that the first manual to be read should be Learning and Usage, followed by Notation.
- All other manuals are for regular or advanced users.
- I would put a list of all the manuals at the end (or on the right column) and the Manual formats section could be an introduction to this list.

So a possible layout could be a 2 column page: on the left two sections (New users, Advanced users) and on the right the manual list.

Re: manuals page [WAS Re: teaching a university module on engraving with lilypond]

Carl Sorensen-3
On 4/27/15 10:47 AM, "Federico Bruni" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>- I'd rather use a conversational approach instead of unordered lists:
>"Please be aware that LilyPond is a text-based(link) music engraver and
>read the FAQ(link) before...". "You can see LilyPond in action in the
>following video tutorials made by Ben Lemon... (a small iframe of youtube
>video would be great). Then explain that the first manual to be read
>should be Learning and Usage, followed by Notation.

I think that such an approach could be helpful.

But Notation shouldn't be "read".  It should only be referenced.  And I
think we should make that clear whenever we talk about it.

Thanks,

Carl