making parts : specific number of measures per line?

making parts : specific number of measures per line?

Molly Preston

Hi again everyone,
I am trying the following for making 6 measures per line in the flute part.

layoutContent = {

     s1 *6 \break

\new Staff <<
   \new Voice {
\fluteMusic

    \new Voice  {
\repeat unfold 20 { \layoutContent }

If i use the repeat unfold command I get an error that states

warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be using bar checks?

What events override a forced break?

-Molly

Re: making parts : specific number of measures per line?

David Wright
On Sun 06 Aug 2017 at 11:36:50 (-0400), Molly Preston wrote:

> Hi again everyone,
> I am trying the following for making 6 measures per line in the flute part.
>
> layoutContent = {
>
>      s1 *6 \break
> }
>
> \score {
> \new Staff <<
>    \new Voice {
> \fluteMusic
> }
>
>     \new Voice  {
> \repeat unfold 20 { \layoutContent }
>    }
> >>

> }
>
> If i use the repeat unfold command I get an error that states
>
> warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be
> using bar checks?
>

> What events override a forced break?

"Events, dear boy, events." … perhaps in \fluteMusic.

Are you using bar checks? Do they give no errors?
Does a note duration cross a barline?

Cheers,
David.

Re: making parts : specific number of measures per line?

Molly Preston
I don't get any barcheck problems in the flute part. I see it now... I think it's the multimeasure rests.

Is there another way to do this so I don't have to alter all my multimeasure rests?

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 12:18 PM, David Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun 06 Aug 2017 at 11:36:50 (-0400), Molly Preston wrote:
> Hi again everyone,
> I am trying the following for making 6 measures per line in the flute part.
>
> layoutContent = {
>
>      s1 *6 \break
> }
>
> \score {
> \new Staff <<
>    \new Voice {
> \fluteMusic
> }
>
>     \new Voice  {
> \repeat unfold 20 { \layoutContent }
>    }
> >>

> }
>
> If i use the repeat unfold command I get an error that states
>
> warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be
> using bar checks?
>

> What events override a forced break?

"Events, dear boy, events." … perhaps in \fluteMusic.

Are you using bar checks? Do they give no errors?
Does a note duration cross a barline?

Cheers,
David.

Re: making parts : specific number of measures per line?

Thomas Morley-2

> I don't get any barcheck problems in the flute part. I see it now... I think
> it's the multimeasure rests.
>
> Is there another way to do this so I don't have to alter all my multimeasure
> rests?
>
> On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 12:18 PM, David Wright <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun 06 Aug 2017 at 11:36:50 (-0400), Molly Preston wrote:
>> > Hi again everyone,
>> > I am trying the following for making 6 measures per line in the flute
>> > part.
>> >
>> > layoutContent = {
>> >
>> >      s1 *6 \break
>> > }
>> >
>> > \score {
>> > \new Staff <<
>> >    \new Voice {
>> > \fluteMusic
>> > }
>> >
>> >     \new Voice  {
>> > \repeat unfold 20 { \layoutContent }
>> >    }
>> > >>

>> > }
>> >
>> > If i use the repeat unfold command I get an error that states
>> >
>> > warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be
>> > using bar checks?
>> >

>> > What events override a forced break?
>>
>> "Events, dear boy, events." … perhaps in \fluteMusic.
>>
>> Are you using bar checks? Do they give no errors?
>> Does a note duration cross a barline?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David.

You should research the reason for the warning.
Notes crossing a barline is only one possibility, non-breakable
glissandi another one, probably more.

\repeat unfold 20 {  s1 *6 \break }
compiles fine at its own, so there _must_ be something in fluteMusic
preventing the linebreak.
Without knowing fluteMusic nobody can say more.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: making parts : specific number of measures per line?

Molly Preston
Ok I've been messing with this and I realize that where I have s1*13 at m.86 it seems to print out 15 measures instead and doesn't generate an error. It prints out 12 measures on one line at m.98.

I don't understand how it's counting?

\version "2.18.2"
layoutContent = {
\repeat unfold 11 { s1 *6 \break } %m1-66
s1* 8 \break| %m67-74
s1*11 \break | %m75-85
 s1*13 \break | %m86-97

s1* 15 \break | %m98

 }

fluteMusic = {
  g4 r r2 | %m86
    R1* 5  | %m87-91

   r2 r\fermata  | %m92
    \bar "||"

    \key c\major
    \time 3/4
    R2. *4 ^"Presto" | %m93-96

    g,2.~ \ff | %m97

\new Staff <<
\new Voice {
\compressFullBarRests
\fluteMusic
}

\new Voice {
\layoutContent

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't get any barcheck problems in the flute part. I see it now... I think
> it's the multimeasure rests.
>
> Is there another way to do this so I don't have to alter all my multimeasure
> rests?
>
> On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 12:18 PM, David Wright <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun 06 Aug 2017 at 11:36:50 (-0400), Molly Preston wrote:
>> > Hi again everyone,
>> > I am trying the following for making 6 measures per line in the flute
>> > part.
>> >
>> > layoutContent = {
>> >
>> >      s1 *6 \break
>> > }
>> >
>> > \score {
>> > \new Staff <<
>> >    \new Voice {
>> > \fluteMusic
>> > }
>> >
>> >     \new Voice  {
>> > \repeat unfold 20 { \layoutContent }
>> >    }
>> > >>

>> > }
>> >
>> > If i use the repeat unfold command I get an error that states
>> >
>> > warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be
>> > using bar checks?
>> >

>> > What events override a forced break?
>>
>> "Events, dear boy, events." … perhaps in \fluteMusic.
>>
>> Are you using bar checks? Do they give no errors?
>> Does a note duration cross a barline?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David.

You should research the reason for the warning.
Notes crossing a barline is only one possibility, non-breakable
glissandi another one, probably more.

\repeat unfold 20 {  s1 *6 \break }
compiles fine at its own, so there _must_ be something in fluteMusic
preventing the linebreak.
Without knowing fluteMusic nobody can say more.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: making parts : specific number of measures per line?

Brian Barker
At 19:00 06/08/2017 -0400, Molly Preston wrote:

>Ok I've been messing with this and I realize that where I have s1*13
>at m.86 it seems to print out 15 measures instead and doesn't
>generate an error. It prints out 12 measures on one line at m.98. I
>don't understand how it's counting?
>
>\version "2.18.2"
>layoutContent = {
>\repeat unfold 11 { s1*6 \break } %m1-66
>s1*8 \break | %m67-74
>s1*11 \break | %m75-85
>s1*13 \break | %m86-97
>s1*15 \break | %m98
>}
>fluteMusic = {
>   g4 r r2 | %m86
>   R1* 5 | %m87-91
>   r2 r\fermata | %m92
>   \bar "||"
>   \key c\major
>   \time 3/4
>   R2.*4 ^"Presto" | %m93-96
>   g,2.~ \ff | %m97
>}
>\score {
>\new Staff <<
>\new Voice {
>\compressFullBarRests
>\fluteMusic
>}
>\new Voice {
>\layoutContent
>}
> >>
>}

o 85+13 is 98, not 97.
o As provided, your fluteMusic starts at bar 1, not bar 86.
o s1 has the length of a semibreve ("whole note"), not a full bar
("measure") - so after your time signature change to 3/4, each s1
lasts longer than a bar. So s1*13 needs to be s1*7 | s2.*6 to account
for the change to 3/4.

(Er, I suggested privately that your problem might be a change to the
time signature, but you denied you had one!)

Brian Barker