make cvsclean?

Erlend Aasland
Hello,

I find it irritating that there is no make target that really clean the source directory; "make distclean" leaves all "out"-directories in addition to a couple of autogenerated files. I tried "make maintainerclean" but that resulted in an error. I miss something like "make cvsclean" (see attached patch).

This patch removes all "out"-directories in addition to all autogenerated files and it does it very very very fast. Any reason not to include this?

Regards,
  Erlend Aasland

cvsclean.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: make cvsclean?

Han-Wen Nienhuys-2
Erlend Aasland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I find it irritating that there is no make target that really clean the
> source directory; "make distclean" leaves all "out"-directories in
> addition to a couple of autogenerated files. I tried "make
> maintainerclean" but that resulted in an error. I miss something like
> "make cvsclean" (see attached patch).
>
> This patch removes all "out"-directories in addition to all
> autogenerated files and it does it very very very fast. Any reason not
> to include this?

I guess not, although I don't personally see the use (my source
directory is a complete mess anyway because I dump all my debugging .ly
files there)

LilyPond Software Design
  -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com

Re: make cvsclean?

Han-Wen Nienhuys-2

umm, some nits:

  - naming: cvs-clean
  - changelog?

Erlend Aasland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I find it irritating that there is no make target that really clean the
> source directory; "make distclean" leaves all "out"-directories in
> addition to a couple of autogenerated files. I tried "make
> maintainerclean" but that resulted in an error. I miss something like
> "make cvsclean" (see attached patch).
>
> This patch removes all "out"-directories in addition to all
> autogenerated files and it does it very very very fast. Any reason not
> to include this?
>

> Regards,
>   Erlend Aasland

LilyPond Software Design
  -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com

Re: make cvsclean?

Erlend Aasland
Hi

On 4/4/06, Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess not, although I don't personally see the use (my source
directory is a complete mess anyway because I dump all my debugging .ly
files there)

Well, I guess that there are other developers that might need this. I see no problem with the naming (since we've already got distclean and maintainerclean, cvsclean seems like a good name), but I'm not going to argue about that. New patch attached. Please apply.

ChangeLog:
2006-04-04  Erlend Aasland  <[hidden email]>

    * stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make: add cvs-clean target

    * stepmake/stepmake/toplevel- targets.make: print help info about cvs-clean