maintaining lilypond git repository on github

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

maintaining lilypond git repository on github

Werner LEMBERG

IIRC we talked about setting up automatic updates of

  https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond

but it seems this is still missing.  Is there any progress?

I've just updated it manually.


    Werner

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maintaining lilypond git repository on github

Jonas Hahnfeld
Am Dienstag, den 18.08.2020, 20:28 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> IIRC we talked about setting up automatic updates of
>  
> https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond
>
> but it seems this is still missing.  Is there any progress?

If somebody grants me access to the repo, I can easily add a deploy key
with write access and setup mirroring from GitLab.

> I've just updated it manually.

Looks like the previous updates didn't purge removed branches, at least
there are still a bunch that are neither at Savannah nor GitLab. I'd
propose we delete all but the "protected branches" (GitLab terminology;
master, translation, stable/*, release/unstable) because these are the
refs that are going to be mirrored from GitLab.

Jonas

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maintaining lilypond git repository on github

Werner LEMBERG

>> IIRC we talked about setting up automatic updates of
>>  
>> https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond
>>
>> but it seems this is still missing.  Is there any progress?
>
> If somebody grants me access to the repo, I can easily add a deploy
> key with write access and setup mirroring from GitLab.

I've sent a mail to Janek Warchoł.

>> I've just updated it manually.
>
> Looks like the previous updates didn't purge removed branches, at
> least there are still a bunch that are neither at Savannah nor
> GitLab.

I simply do

  git remote update
  git push --mirror [hidden email]:lilypond/lilypond.git

for manual updating...  Shall I change this incantation?

> I'd propose we delete all but the "protected branches" (GitLab
> terminology; master, translation, stable/*, release/unstable)
> because these are the refs that are going to be mirrored from
> GitLab.

Sounds sensible.


    Werner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maintaining lilypond git repository on github

Jonas Hahnfeld
Am Mittwoch, den 19.08.2020, 06:55 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:

> >> IIRC we talked about setting up automatic updates of
> >>
> >> https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond
> >>
> >> but it seems this is still missing.  Is there any progress?
> >
> > If somebody grants me access to the repo, I can easily add a deploy
> > key with write access and setup mirroring from GitLab.
>
> I've sent a mail to Janek Warchoł.
>
> >> I've just updated it manually.
> >
> > Looks like the previous updates didn't purge removed branches, at
> > least there are still a bunch that are neither at Savannah nor
> > GitLab.
>
> I simply do
>
>   git remote update
>   git push --mirror [hidden email]:lilypond/lilypond.git
>
> for manual updating...  Shall I change this incantation?
Definitely add --prune to "git remote update" to remove branches that
ceased to exist on the remote. In general, I would not run the
mirroring from a real working copy of the repository because AFAICT git
push --mirror will also push local branches. But it doesn't really
matter if everybody is ok with me removing them once I get access.

> > I'd propose we delete all but the "protected branches" (GitLab
> > terminology; master, translation, stable/*, release/unstable)
> > because these are the refs that are going to be mirrored from
> > GitLab.
>
> Sounds sensible.
>
>
>     Werner

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maintaining lilypond git repository on github

Werner LEMBERG
>>   git remote update
>>   git push --mirror [hidden email]:lilypond/lilypond.git
>
> Definitely add --prune to "git remote update" to remove branches
> that ceased to exist on the remote.

OK, done.

> In general, I would not run the mirroring from a real working copy
> of the repository because AFAICT git push --mirror will also push
> local branches.

I don't do that.  I have a separate clone for that (created with `git
clone --mirror`).

> But it doesn't really matter if everybody is ok with me removing
> them once I get access.

This is fine with me.


   Werner

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maintaining lilypond git repository on github

Urs Liska-3
Am Mittwoch, den 19.08.2020, 09:24 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:

> >>   git remote update
> >>   git push --mirror [hidden email]:lilypond/lilypond.git
> >
> > Definitely add --prune to "git remote update" to remove branches
> > that ceased to exist on the remote.
>
> OK, done.
>
> > In general, I would not run the mirroring from a real working copy
> > of the repository because AFAICT git push --mirror will also push
> > local branches.
>
> I don't do that.  I have a separate clone for that (created with `git
> clone --mirror`).
>
> > But it doesn't really matter if everybody is ok with me removing
> > them once I get access.

What's your Github user name?
I can give you access but couldn't find your account.

Urs

>
> This is fine with me.
>
>
>    Werner
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maintaining lilypond git repository on github

Jonas Hahnfeld
Am Mittwoch, den 19.08.2020, 17:29 +0200 schrieb Urs Liska:

> Am Mittwoch, den 19.08.2020, 09:24 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> > > >   git remote update
> > > >   git push --mirror [hidden email]:lilypond/lilypond.git
> > >
> > > Definitely add --prune to "git remote update" to remove branches
> > > that ceased to exist on the remote.
> >
> > OK, done.
> >
> > > In general, I would not run the mirroring from a real working copy
> > > of the repository because AFAICT git push --mirror will also push
> > > local branches.
> >
> > I don't do that.  I have a separate clone for that (created with `git
> > clone --mirror`).
> >
> > > But it doesn't really matter if everybody is ok with me removing
> > > them once I get access.
>
> What's your Github user name?
> I can give you access but couldn't find your account.
@hahnjo, as on GitLab (and most other services).

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maintaining lilypond git repository on github

Jonas Hahnfeld
In reply to this post by Jonas Hahnfeld
Am Dienstag, den 18.08.2020, 20:55 +0200 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> Am Dienstag, den 18.08.2020, 20:28 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> > IIRC we talked about setting up automatic updates of
> >
> > https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond
> >
> > but it seems this is still missing.  Is there any progress?
>
> If somebody grants me access to the repo, I can easily add a deploy key
> with write access and setup mirroring from GitLab.

Should be active now. Thanks Urs for adding me to org; and sorry for
two notification emails about added keys, GitLab is apparently still
not good at TOFU for the SSH host keys, even if manually validating the
fingerprints...

> > I've just updated it manually.
>
> Looks like the previous updates didn't purge removed branches, at least
> there are still a bunch that are neither at Savannah nor GitLab. I'd
> propose we delete all but the "protected branches" (GitLab terminology;
> master, translation, stable/*, release/unstable) because these are the
> refs that are going to be mirrored from GitLab.

I'll go ahead with this one next week unless I hear objections until
then.

Cheers
Jonas

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: maintaining lilypond git repository on github

Jonas Hahnfeld
Am Mittwoch, den 19.08.2020, 19:42 +0200 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> Am Dienstag, den 18.08.2020, 20:55 +0200 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> > Looks like the previous updates didn't purge removed branches, at least
> > there are still a bunch that are neither at Savannah nor GitLab. I'd
> > propose we delete all but the "protected branches" (GitLab terminology;
> > master, translation, stable/*, release/unstable) because these are the
> > refs that are going to be mirrored from GitLab.
>
> I'll go ahead with this one next week unless I hear objections until
> then.

And gone (but fear not, they're still on Savannah and GitLab). For
reference, I issued the following:
 $ git push --delete github $(git branch -a | grep github/dev | sed "s/^\W*remotes\/github\///")
 $ git push --delete github archive/macos-lilypad archive/web archive/web-gop

which brings us down to 21 branches:
$ git branch -a | grep github | sed "s/^\W*remotes\/github\///"
master
release/unstable
stable/0.0
stable/1.0
stable/1.2
stable/1.4
stable/1.6
stable/1.8
stable/2.0
stable/2.10
stable/2.12
stable/2.14
stable/2.16
stable/2.18
stable/2.2
stable/2.20
stable/2.4
stable/2.6
stable/2.8
translation
translation-staging

Cheers
Jonas

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment