magic diacritic markup?

Trevor Bača-2
Hello,

Is there a way to enter something like

  Sch\{AUmlaut}flein

or

  Sch\"aflein

or

  Sch\[A:]flein

directly in lilypond markup?

[Vim under OS X 10.4 (American keyboard, American install, etc) is
angering me and I'd love a way to work around the editor using lower
ASCII that's guaranteed to work anywhere.]

Any in-line syntax or must I switch editors?

Trevor.

Re: magic diacritic markup?

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Trevor Baca writes:

> Is there a way to enter something like
>
>   Sch\{AUmlaut}flein

> directly in lilypond markup?

No.

> [Vim under OS X 10.4 (American keyboard, American install, etc) is
> angering me and I'd love a way to work around the editor using lower
> ASCII that's guaranteed to work anywhere.]

> Any in-line syntax or must I switch editors?

No.  VIM is a modern editor, it supports compose character in case
your operating system does not provide a multi key (I'm not sure if Os
X supports compose) and save as utf-8.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: magic diacritic markup?

fiëé visuëlle
Am 2005-07-26 um 21:29 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
>> [Vim under OS X 10.4 (American keyboard, American install, etc) is
>> angering me and I'd love a way to work around the editor using lower
>> ASCII that's guaranteed to work anywhere.]
> No.  VIM is a modern editor, it supports compose character in case
> your operating system does not provide a multi key (I'm not sure if Os
> X supports compose) and save as utf-8.

Try <Alt>-<u>,<vocal> for umlauts.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net

Re: magic diacritic markup?

Trevor Bača-2
On 7/26/05, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No.  VIM is a modern editor, it supports compose character in case
> your operating system does not provide a multi key (I'm not sure if Os
> X supports compose) and save as utf-8.

Yes, you're right. The trick is

  set encoding=utf-8

then digraphs are possible when introduced by ctrl-k. So:

  ctrl-k a:  gives ü
  ctrl-k i:   gives ï
  ctrl-k Co gives the copyright symbol,
  etc

All fine under OS X with

  :digraphs

to list the available two-key codes.

Trevor.

Re: magic diacritic markup?

François Pinard
[Trevor Baca]

>   :digraphs

> to list the available two-key codes.

The "predefined" codes.  You may add as many as you want, only limited
by your imagination about which pair of keys to choose from. :-)

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca

(OT) vim, osx, text encoding (was: magic diacritic markup?)

Graham Percival

On 26-Jul-05, at 3:47 PM, Trevor Baca wrote:
> Yes, you're right. The trick is
>
>   set encoding=utf-8

> All fine under OS X with
>   :digraphs

Ok, I hate being a newbie, but I'm lost.  OSX 10.3.9, vim (as it comes
with OSX, not the fink version), Terminal.

I've got
set encoding=utf-8
in my ~/.vimrc, and the Terminal inspector "Display" window is set to
Unicode (UTF-8).  I'm using Monaco Regular font (in Terminal), if that
matters.

When I try
:digraphs
in vim, I see a whole bunch of question marks or ^x (where x is a
capital
letter).  For example, the first two entries are
NU ^@  10  SH ^A

When I attempt to insert chars from OSX's Character Palette, I can
insert the copyright symbol ok, but attempting to insert smart quotes
results in
?~@~]

(although the smart quotes don't look right, when I build the
documentation,
they come out ok in the html pages)

Is this normal?

Cheers,
- Graham, LilyPond Documentation Editor

Re: (OT) vim, osx, text encoding (was: magic diacritic markup?)

Graham Percival

On 27-Jul-05, at 7:54 PM, Trevor Baca wrote:

> I thought I'd take this offline since the rest of the list at least
> appears to have a pretty good handle on diacritics.

We might as well keep on it on the list; there may be somebody like me
who spends an hour searching mailing lists looking for a solution.  :)

> Just like you I'm using vim from the OS X terminal application (not
> fink).

Are you using 10.4?  (see below)

> What do these values give you:
>
>   :set encoding?

Entered in command mode?
E519: Option not supported: encoding?
(same result for ":set encoding")

":set" just gives me this:
:set
--- Options ---
   backspace=2         scroll=14           ttyfast
ttymouse=xterm
Hit ENTER or type command to continue

> I think that should be enough to get what you need.

I finally tried using vim from fink.  Fink has version 6.3-4; OSX
10.3.9 uses
6.2.  I didn't change my terminal settings or ~/.vimrc... and now utf-8
stuff
works.  I can see digraph chars, I can see the smart quotes in the
lyrics
section, etc.

I don't know if you're using 10.3 or 10.4, but I know that Han-Wen uses
10.3.9, and I'm pretty certain that he can use utf-8, so I find this
quite
curious... but at least it's working for me now.

Re: (OT) vim, osx, text encoding (was: magic diacritic markup?)

Trevor Bača-2
> Are you using 10.4?  (see below)

Yes, 10.4.2.

> > What do these values give you:
> >
> >   :set encoding?
>
> Entered in command mode?

Yes, command mode.

> E519: Option not supported: encoding?
> (same result for ":set encoding")

OK, that's just odd. vim definitely takes an encoding and for unicode
what you're looking for is encoding=utf-8. Maybe your previous version
of vim wasn't compiled with the multi_byte option set (more below), or
maybe someone else can comment on how on earth vim wouldn't support
the encoding setting.

> ":set" just gives me this:
> :set
> --- Options ---
>    backspace=2         scroll=14           ttyfast
> ttymouse=xterm
> Hit ENTER or type command to continue

Right, that would be consistent with the no-unicode situation you're
describing. I'd be willing to be that your encoding is defaulting to
"latin1" (ie, no unicode), which in turn is probably deriving from
your value for "fileencoding" not being set.

> I finally tried using vim from fink.  Fink has version 6.3-4; OSX
> 10.3.9 uses
> 6.2.  I didn't change my terminal settings or ~/.vimrc... and now utf-8
> stuff
> works.  I can see digraph chars, I can see the smart quotes in the
> lyrics
> section, etc.
>
> I don't know if you're using 10.3 or 10.4, but I know that Han-Wen uses
> 10.3.9, and I'm pretty certain that he can use utf-8, so I find this
> quite
> curious... but at least it's working for me now.

It definitely works with Apple's build, though, so you shouldn't have
to go through fink (unless, of course, you prefer). Asking for the
version of vim in command mode

  :ve

gives me

  VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Mar 21 2005 02:12:42)
  Compiled by [hidden email]

and the unicode stuff all works great *after* having set
"fileencoding" and "encoding" in .vimrc. I really think if you just
had the following two lines in your ~/.vimrc that everything would
probably work great:

  set encoding=utf-8
  set fileencodings=utf-8,latin1

but it's also possible that your previous version of vim wasn't
compiled with the multibyte option set (which you can see from the
same version screen mentioned above at :ve in command mode ... where
you can look for the +multi_byte option; + means the option was set at
compiletime, - means it wasn't).

Anyway, glad the fink version is working for you! Note that *very*
high unicode values (like the hiragana and katakana characters near
the bottom of the :digraph cheat sheet) will print with an extra
trailing character in most vim sessions; probably not an issue unless
you specifically need those characters for lyrics or something.

Trevor.

On 28-Jul-05, at 4:20 AM, Trevor Baca wrote:

>> E519: Option not supported: encoding?
>> (same result for ":set encoding")
>
> OK, that's just odd. vim definitely takes an encoding and for unicode
> what you're looking for is encoding=utf-8. Maybe your previous version
> of vim wasn't compiled with the multi_byte option set (more below), or

Aha!  that's it.

spark:~ gperciva$ /usr/bin/vim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Sep 12 2003 18:48:28)
Compiled by root@trashguy
Normal version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
**snip**
-mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg
-osfiletype

>   VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Mar 21 2005 02:12:42)
>   Compiled by [hidden email]

I wonder why they didn't upgrade to 6.3; it was released 2004 June 7.
Oh well.