lyrics running wider than the staff

Michael Haynie
Greetings:

Since I've moved to 2.8 from 2.2, I've been having trouble with the
lyrics -- the last word (syllable) of the last measure of a line
frequently runs out into the right margin.  At best, it's ugly.  At the
worst, the word is cut off when I print.  I've searched the docs and
the archives, but I can't seem to guess the right keywords.

Is there some flag or variable I should set to get Lilypond to consider
the width of the lyrics attached to notes of the melody when placing
notes and breaking lines?

Thanks.

Re: lyrics running wider than the staff

Graham Percival-2
Michael Haynie wrote:
> Since I've moved to 2.8 from 2.2, I've been having trouble with the
> lyrics -- the last word (syllable) of the last measure of a line
> frequently runs out into the right margin.  At best, it's ugly.  At the
> worst, the word is cut off when I print.  I've searched the docs and the
> archives, but I can't seem to guess the right keywords.

Please read section 7.3 in the docs for 2.8, specifically the "commonly
tweaked properties".

Re: lyrics running wider than the staff

Michael Haynie
Thanks for the quick response.

I would be embarrassed to not have found that, except that it never
occurred to me to look at the root node of the section, which doesn't
suggest that it deals with such an odd topic.  I've wondered if it
might be a good idea to collect settings which have global formatting
effects into one section, or at least creating a sort of index.  As
someone who creates thousand page documents ever other year, I can
appreciate the difficulties ...

On Jul 24, 2006, at 2:19 AM, Graham Percival wrote:

> Michael Haynie wrote:
>> Since I've moved to 2.8 from 2.2, I've been having trouble with the
>> lyrics -- the last word (syllable) of the last measure of a line
>> frequently runs out into the right margin.  At best, it's ugly.  At
>> the worst, the word is cut off when I print.  I've searched the docs
>> and the archives, but I can't seem to guess the right keywords.
>
> Please read section 7.3 in the docs for 2.8, specifically the
> "commonly tweaked properties".
>
> - Graham

Re: lyrics running wider than the staff

Michael Haynie
The Score.PaperColumn doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on the
output (irrespective of placement in layout or score blocks).  However,
the section also mentions having lyrics avoid barlines by setting
several layout properties:

\layout {
   \context {
     \Lyrics
       \consists "Bar_engraver"
       \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"
       \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t

On several sample scores, this greatly improves the visual appearance
of the work.  Now for the difficult part -- I have 493 scores to adjust
this way.  I can certainly write an emacs macro to insert the context
settings into the layout section, but I wonder if it's possible to
handle this more globally.  Is there a way to define something like a
music expression that can be included here?  Suppose I want to add
another setting, like:

        \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }

It would be nice to just edit a master file and have all 500 (I keep
adding new ones) songs updated.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

On Jul 24, 2006, at 2:19 AM, Graham Percival wrote:

> Michael Haynie wrote:
>> Since I've moved to 2.8 from 2.2, I've been having trouble with the
>> lyrics -- the last word (syllable) of the last measure of a line
>> frequently runs out into the right margin.  At best, it's ugly.  At
>> the worst, the word is cut off when I print.  I've searched the docs
>> and the archives, but I can't seem to guess the right keywords.
>
> Please read section 7.3 in the docs for 2.8, specifically the
> "commonly tweaked properties".
>
> - Graham

Re: lyrics running wider than the staff

Kieren MacMillan
Hi, Michael:

> Is there a way to define something like a music expression that can
> be included here?

I'm assuming you understand the concept of stylesheets? (See the docs
for examples...)

For instance, I have the following stylesheets:
     1. KM_init_Score
     2. KM_init_PianoStaff
     3. KM_init_Lyrics
     4. KM_init_Song (\include-s KM_init_Score, *PianoStaff, and
*Lyrics)

These describe my "house style(s)".

Then, in (e.g.) a song score, I'll simply \include KM_init_Song, and
everything is hunky-dory. If I need to change my "house style" for
lieder, I simply make the change at the appropriate level (usually
*Song, since others might be included elsewhere) and then recompile
all my individual song \score-s.

Works like a charm!

Best regards,
Kieren.

Re: lyrics running wider than the staff

Michael Haynie
Thanks -- that works like a charm, once I realized that the particular
setting I needed can be hoisted to a global layout and still work.

Apparently, I just need to sit down with the 2.8 manual and relearn
lilypond -- so much has changed since I started (with 2.0) that it's
almost a completely different language -- much like the difference
between the English of Chaucer and the New York Times -- both are
English, but with a sufficiently different vocabulary and expectations
that some confusion is likely.

Michael Haynie wrote:
> I would be embarrassed to not have found that, except that it never
> occurred to me to look at the root node of the section, which doesn't
> suggest that it deals with such an odd topic.  I've wondered if it might
> be a good idea to collect settings which have global formatting effects
> into one section, or at least creating a sort of index.  As someone who
> creates thousand page documents ever other year, I can appreciate the
> difficulties ...

All the global formatting options are listed in the program reference.
Many manual pages have "commonly tweaked properties" which are designed
to handle common cases (or simply give examples of the kinds of tweaks
which are possible), but they are not the main source of that information.

I agree that this specific case is not ideal; informal patches are
appreciated.  I don't do vocal music, so I am not the best person to be
making changes to section 7.3.  For more info, see
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding

Michael Haynie wrote:
> Thanks -- that works like a charm, once I realized that the particular
> setting I needed can be hoisted to a global layout and still work.
>
> Apparently, I just need to sit down with the 2.8 manual and relearn
> lilypond -- so much has changed since I started (with 2.0) that it's
> almost a completely different language -- much like the difference
> between the English of Chaucer and the New York Times -- both are
> English, but with a sufficiently different vocabulary and expectations
> that some confusion is likely.

If you are planning on sitting down and seriously reading the manual, I
suggest using the 2.9 manual.  Currently everything in the 2.9 manual
applies to 2.8 as well, but many sections (particularly advanced tweaks)
are significantly easier to understand.