\longa and \maxima

Urs Liska-3

Hi all,

do we have something for the notehead in the attached image?

I need to print a note lasting four 4/4 measures.

{
  c'' \longa
}
does produce the desired duration and the result shown in the second attachment. But is it possible to have a \maxima notehead or does this not exist in Emmentaler?
\maxima seems to be reserved for rests since
{
  c'' \longa
}
yields

none of note heads `noteheads.s' or `noteheads.d' found

Is this a missing notehead in Emmentaler, or do we not have such a glyph on purpose? And do I have an option other than hand-drawing what I need?

Thanks
Urs

longa-maxima.png (50K) Download Attachment
1756_034_1.png (5K) Download Attachment

Re: \longa and \maxima

Michael Gerdau
> do we have something for the notehead in the attached image?
>
> I need to print a note lasting four 4/4 measures.
>
> {
>    c'' \longa
> }
[snip]

Does adding
\override Staff.NoteHead.style = #'baroque
do what you are looking for?

Kind regards,
Michael
--
Michael Gerdau email: [hidden email]

Re: \longa and \maxima

Urs Liska-3
Hi Michael,

Am 06.06.2018 um 11:47 schrieb Michael Gerdau:

>> do we have something for the notehead in the attached image?
>>
>> I need to print a note lasting four 4/4 measures.
>>
>> {
>>     c'' \longa
>> }
> [snip]
>
> Does adding
> \override Staff.NoteHead.style = #'baroque
> do what you are looking for?

unfortunately not. It will change the notehead style (which I'll keep
for this example), but it won't give me a \maxima (i.e. the notehead
with stems on both sides.

This is arguably wrong musically, but I was asked to render the sample
just like in the old print.

Best
Urs

> Kind regards,
> Michael

Re: \longa and \maxima

David Kastrup
Urs Liska <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 06.06.2018 um 11:47 schrieb Michael Gerdau:
>>> do we have something for the notehead in the attached image?
>>>
>>> I need to print a note lasting four 4/4 measures.
>>>
>>> {
>>>     c'' \longa
>>> }
>> [snip]
>>
>> Does adding
>> \override Staff.NoteHead.style = #'baroque
>> do what you are looking for?
>
> unfortunately not. It will change the notehead style (which I'll keep
> for this example), but it won't give me a \maxima (i.e. the notehead
> with stems on both sides.
>
> This is arguably wrong musically, but I was asked to render the sample
> just like in the old print.

There are differences, cf

{
  \override NoteHead.style = #'baroque
  \time 8/1
  c'\maxima \longa \breve 1 1
}

The differences are more pronounced in style #'mensural but then
everything looks a whole lot different.

Re: \longa and \maxima

Urs Liska-3

Am 06.06.2018 um 12:10 schrieb David Kastrup:

> Urs Liska <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Does adding
>>> \override Staff.NoteHead.style = #'baroque
>>> do what you are looking for?
>> unfortunately not. It will change the notehead style (which I'll keep
>> for this example), but it won't give me a \maxima (i.e. the notehead
>> with stems on both sides.
>>
>> This is arguably wrong musically, but I was asked to render the sample
>> just like in the old print.
> There are differences, cf
>
> {
>    \override NoteHead.style = #'baroque
>    \time 8/1
>    c'\maxima \longa \breve 1 1
> }
>
> The differences are more pronounced in style #'mensural but then
> everything looks a whole lot different.

Ah, thanks.
The problem isn't that there is a \maxima notehead missing - but that it
conflicted with the actual R1*4 in the other staff.

Now it properly get the intended result with
{
   \override NoteHead.style = #'baroque
   \time 4/1
   \scaleDurations 1/2 c' \maxima
}

Now the commissioner can choose which one they like. And I assume (hope)
that the unusual glyph with two stems can be dismissed.

Thanks
Urs

Re: \longa and \maxima

On 2018-06-06 11:37, Urs Liska wrote:

Hi all,

do we have something for the notehead in the attached image?

I need to print a note lasting four 4/4 measures.

{
  c'' \longa
}
does produce the desired duration and the result shown in the second attachment. But is it possible to have a \maxima notehead or does this not exist in Emmentaler?
\maxima seems to be reserved for rests since
{
  c'' \longa
}
yields

none of note heads `noteheads.s' or `noteheads.d' found

Is this a missing notehead in Emmentaler, or do we not have such a glyph on purpose? And do I have an option other than hand-drawing what I need?
\override NoteHead.style = #'baroque
should do it, see http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/note-head-styles

Re: \longa and \maxima

Graham King-4

On 6 Jun 2018, at 11:18, Urs Liska wrote:

> And I assume (hope) that the unusual glyph with two stems can be dismissed.

Outside of ligatures, I've never seen a notehead in mensural notation with an upstem and a downstem on opposite sides.  Even a plica (which this is not) has two upstems or two downstems.  Usually, a longa is a brevis with downstem to the right (signifying doubling* the note value), and a maxima is a longa with an elongated head (again doubling* the value).  Sometimes the downstem is replaced by an upstem (always to the right) without changing the semantics.

An upstem to the left invariably signifies the start of a c.o.p. ligature (the last ligature to survive in the era of printing).  This is _not_ a c.o.p. ligature (semibrevis-semibrevis).

Perhaps the thing that looks like an upstem here is merely a pointer to the explanatory text above the stave?

HTH
-- Graham

*or possibly tripling if modus and/or maximodus are "perfect".