lilypond -dread-file-list "read-file-list.txt" (without "=") compiles only the last file of the listof

lilypond -dread-file-list "read-file-list.txt" (without "=") compiles only the last file of the listof

Eluze
running the command
lilypond -dread-file-list "read-file-list.txt"  (without the equal sign (=) which probably is not correct)

where file "read-file-list.txt" contains:

"ab.ly"
ab
a.ly

results in:

GNU LilyPond 2.15.95
'arning: cannot find file: `"ab.ly"
'arning: cannot find file: `ab.ly
Processing `a.ly'
Parsing...

Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `a.ps'...
Converting to `./a.pdf'...
fatal error: failed files: "ab.ly\x0d \"ab.ly\"\x0d"

--> only the last ly file is compiled

maybe an incorrect entry? a bug under windows?

thanks for having a look at it!

Eluze

Re: lilypond -dread-file-list "read-file-list.txt" (without "=") compiles only the last file of the listof

Colin Hall-3

Thanks for the bug report, Eluze.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 02:16:45AM -0700, Eluze wrote:
> running the command
> lilypond -dread-file-list "read-file-list.txt"  (without the equal sign (=)
> which probably is not correct)

Yes, it is correct. See my response to your other email.

> where file "read-file-list.txt" contains:
>
> "ab.ly"
> ab
> a.ly
>
> results in:
>
> GNU LilyPond 2.15.95
> 'arning: cannot find file: `"ab.ly"
> 'arning: cannot find file: `ab.ly
> Processing `a.ly'
> Parsing...
>
> Interpreting music...
> Preprocessing graphical objects...
> Finding the ideal number of pages...
> Fitting music on 1 page...
> Drawing systems...
> Layout output to `a.ps'...
> Converting to `./a.pdf'...
> fatal error: failed files: "ab.ly\x0d \"ab.ly\"\x0d"
>
> --> only the last ly file is compiled

The text \x0d is a clue.

I tried creating the "read-file-list.txt" file on Linux and then
copying it over to Windows and it works just fine.

I suspect the only reason it processes the last file is because there
is no blank line at the end of your "read-file-list.txt" and Lilypond
manages to detect the last line as a filename.

> maybe an incorrect entry? a bug under windows?

I would say it is a bug, and here is the tracker.

Colin.

--

Colin Hall

Re: lilypond -dread-file-list "read-file-list.txt" (without "=") compiles only the last file of the listof

Eluze
Colin Hall-3 wrote
I tried creating the "read-file-list.txt" file on Linux and then
copying it over to Windows and it works just fine.

I suspect the only reason it processes the last file is because there
is no blank line at the end of your "read-file-list.txt" and Lilypond
manages to detect the last line as a filename.

> maybe an incorrect entry? a bug under windows?

I would say it is a bug, and here is the tracker.
I can confirm it works with Linux line endings - but how would one create such lists automatically - they are most often created by a program - with the "correct" ending  (under Windows)?

thanks
Eluze

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 06:58:14AM -0700, Eluze wrote:

> Colin Hall-3 wrote
> >

> > I tried creating the "read-file-list.txt" file on Linux and then
> > copying it over to Windows and it works just fine.
> >
> > I suspect the only reason it processes the last file is because there
> > is no blank line at the end of your "read-file-list.txt" and Lilypond
> > manages to detect the last line as a filename.
> >
> >> maybe an incorrect entry? a bug under windows?
> >
> > I would say it is a bug, and here is the tracker.
> >

> I can confirm it works with Linux line endings - but how would one create
> such lists automatically - they are most often created by a program - with
> the "correct" ending  (under Windows)?

Yes, that's the point that David Kastrup was making on the other thread.

On Windows it should work with Windows line endings. I'm sure the fix
for the tracker will do that, especially as Phil seems to have
identified a possible fix already.

Cheers,
Colin.

--

Colin Hall

Re: lilypond -dread-file-list "read-file-list.txt" (without "=")compiles only the last file of the listof

Phil Holmes
"Colin Hall" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 06:58:14AM -0700, Eluze wrote:
>>
>> Colin Hall-3 wrote
>> >

>> > I tried creating the "read-file-list.txt" file on Linux and then
>> > copying it over to Windows and it works just fine.
>> >
>> > I suspect the only reason it processes the last file is because there
>> > is no blank line at the end of your "read-file-list.txt" and Lilypond
>> > manages to detect the last line as a filename.

>> > I would say it is a bug, and here is the tracker.
>> >

>> I can confirm it works with Linux line endings - but how would one create
>> such lists automatically - they are most often created by a program -
>> with
>> the "correct" ending  (under Windows)?
>
> Yes, that's the point that David Kastrup was making on the other thread.
>
> On Windows it should work with Windows line endings. I'm sure the fix
> for the tracker will do that, especially as Phil seems to have
> identified a possible fix already.
>
> Cheers,
> Colin.

If Eluze hand-modifies his own lily.scm using the syntax I've suggested, it
should work for him with Windows line endings.

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad

Re: lilypond -dread-file-list "read-file-list.txt" (without "=")compiles only the last file of the listof

Eluze
I opened a run window with cmd /s /k and run the command

 >lilypond -dread-file-list filesToRun.lst

and get

GNU LilyPond 2.15.95
'arning: cannot find file: `opus X.ly
'arning: cannot find file: `opus X_1st.ly
'arning: cannot find file: `opus X_1st_Guit1.ly
'arning: cannot find file: `opus X_1st_Guit2.ly

if I have a CRLF line ending file.

with just LF it works fine

Eluze

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:54:56PM +0200, Eluze wrote:

> I opened a run window with cmd /s /k and run the command
>
> >lilypond -dread-file-list filesToRun.lst
>
> and get
>
> GNU LilyPond 2.15.95
> 'arning: cannot find file: `opus X.ly
> 'arning: cannot find file: `opus X_1st.ly
> 'arning: cannot find file: `opus X_1st_Guit1.ly
> 'arning: cannot find file: `opus X_1st_Guit2.ly
> …
> if I have a CRLF line ending file.
>
> with just LF it works fine

Are you posting to confirm the buggy behaviour, Eluze?

Or are you posting because the behaviour above was a surprise?

Cheers,
Colin.

--

Colin Hall

Re: lilypond -dread-file-list "read-file-list.txt" (without "=")compiles only the last file of the listof

Eluze
Colin Hall-3 wrote
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:54:56PM +0200, Eluze wrote:

Are you posting to confirm the buggy behaviour, Eluze?

Or are you posting because the behaviour above was a surprise?
I was responding to Phil's suggestion

If Eluze hand-modifies his own lily.scm using the syntax I've suggested, it
should work for him with Windows line endings.

maybe I did not fully understand what he meant?!
I'm not aware of any lily.scm I have used anywhere.

the four issues I posted in a short time may be a little bit confusing

let's try to handle them separately!

Eluze

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 02:45:54PM -0700, Eluze wrote:

> Colin Hall-3 wrote
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:54:56PM +0200, Eluze wrote:
> >

> > Are you posting to confirm the buggy behaviour, Eluze?
> >
> > Or are you posting because the behaviour above was a surprise?
> >

> I was responding to Phil's suggestion
>
> /If Eluze hand-modifies his own lily.scm using the syntax I've suggested, it
> should work for him with Windows line endings./
>
> maybe I did not fully understand what he meant?!
> I'm not aware of any /lily.scm/ I have used anywhere.

He means this file within your Lilypond installation:

C:\Program Files (x86)\LilyPond\usr\share\lilypond\current\scm\lily.scm

So, if you modify that file using the recipe Phil provided, you can
expect -d read-file-list to accept files with Windows/DOS CRLF line
endings.

> the four issues I posted in a short time may be a little bit confusing
>
> let's try to handle them separately!

Agreed! I think we're on top of it now.

Cheers,
Colin.