lilypond-book in 2.11.57

Laura Conrad

I'm doing my first big project on 2.11, and I've gotten to the stage
where I want to print several movements of a sonata as one pdf
document.

My 2.10 makefile doesnt' work, because lilypond-book no longer has a
--psfonts option.

So I looked at the documentation
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Invoking-lilypond_002dbook#Invoking-lilypond_002dbook>
for what I'm supposed to do now, and
tried both options.

This is an ubuntu hardy heron system, with lilypond 2.11.57 installed
as a user from the GUB.

When I run "lilypond-book --pdf sonate.lytex", I get:

     Running lilypond...GNU LilyPond 2.10.33
     Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

Note that this is the wrong version of lilypond -- 2.10.33 is
installed systemwide, but the user who's installed the GUB expects to
be running 2.11.57.

Then it chugs for a while and says:

     Preprocessing graphical objects...
     (process:6022): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:
     No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.
     PangoFc will not work correctly.
     This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
       '/usr/etc/pango/pango.modules'
       You should create this file by running:
         pango-querymodules > '/usr/etc/pango/pango.modules'
     (process:6022): Pango-WARNING **: failed to find shape engine, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'

     (process:6022): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_fc_font_lock_face: assertion `PANGO_IS_FC_FONT (font)' failed
    Segmentation fault
    command failed: /usr/bin/lilypond --formats=ps -dbackend=eps  -I  "/home/newlily/music/bigaglia/amin" --formats=eps --pdf -dinclude-eps-fonts -dgs-load-fonts  -deps-box-padding=3.000000  -dread-file-list -dno-strip-output-dir /home/newlily/music/bigaglia/amin/snippet-names--1990410836.ly
    Child returned 139

So lilypond-book is definitely not respecting the user's path when
running lilypond.  There may also be other problems with the pango
errors, but I can definitely say there's a bug in the way lilypond is
being run here.

--
Laura   (mailto:[hidden email] http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

America, where you're free to say anything you want, and you'd better
not say what you're not supposed to!

Tommy Smothers, quoted by Cory Doctorow on the Boing Boing blog

Re: lilypond-book in 2.11.57

Laura Conrad

    >> When I run "lilypond-book --pdf sonate.lytex", I get:
    >>
    >> Running lilypond...GNU LilyPond 2.10.33
    >> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
    >>
    >> Note that this is the wrong version of lilypond -- 2.10.33 is
    >> installed systemwide, but the user who's installed the GUB expects to
    >> be running 2.11.57.

    Tapio> Hi,
    Tapio> hardy heron here as well.
    Tapio> In order to run 2.11.57 user installation you can put

    Tapio> export PATH=~/bin:$PATH  (notice ~/bin before the $PATH)

    Tapio> into your ~/.bashrc

No, my path is set correctly.  When I run lilypond, I get:

newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ lilypond --version
GNU LilyPond 2.11.57

Copyright (c) 1996--2007 by
  Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]>
  Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]>
  and others.

It's only when I run lilypond-book that I'm getting the /usr/bin
version instead of the $HOME/bin one.

    Tapio> This done log out and log in again. Then your ~/bin is searched first
    Tapio> when you try to run

    Tapio> "lilypond-book --pdf sonate.lytex" and you should run 2.11.xx. (At least I do.)

I don't.  I think if you do, it's probably because you don't have
another version of lilypond installed on your system, or if it is, it
isn't in /usr/bin.

I have worked around this bug by removing the system-wide lilypond in
/usr/bin.  But my report stands -- lilypond-book is not using the
version of lilypond in my PATH if there is a different version in
/usr/bin.

--
Laura   (mailto:[hidden email] http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

At dawn, the magpie sings, and by day the black cockatoo wing their
way across a sunny sky.  The koala, possum, dingo and carpet snake are
silent on the land below.  A mist covers the mountains.  We and our
land are crying for you.

Eve Fesl, Matriarch of the Gubbi Gubbi tribe, eulogizing Steve Irwin

Re: lilypond-book in 2.11.57

James E. Bailey-2

Am 01.09.2008 um 06:28 schrieb Laura Conrad:

>>> When I run "lilypond-book --pdf sonate.lytex", I get:
>>>
>>> Running lilypond...GNU LilyPond 2.10.33
>>> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
>>>
>>> Note that this is the wrong version of lilypond -- 2.10.33 is
>>> installed systemwide, but the user who's installed the GUB expects
>>> be running 2.11.57.
>>>
>    Tapio> Hi,
>    Tapio> hardy heron here as well.
>    Tapio> In order to run 2.11.57 user installation you can put
>
>    Tapio> export PATH=~/bin:$PATH  (notice ~/bin before the $PATH)
>
>    Tapio> into your ~/.bashrc
>
> No, my path is set correctly.  When I run lilypond, I get:
>
> newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ lilypond --version
> GNU LilyPond 2.11.57

what do you get when you run echo $PATH or which lilypond-book?

> I don't.  I think if you do, it's probably because you don't have
> another version of lilypond installed on your system, or if it is, it
> isn't in /usr/bin.
>
> I have worked around this bug by removing the system-wide lilypond in
> /usr/bin.  But my report stands -- lilypond-book is not using the
> version of lilypond in my PATH if there is a different version in
> /usr/bin.

  It really seems to me that the problem is in your path. I can't seem
to reproduce it, but then I'm using OSX, not ubuntu. Just to test it,
I installed three different versions of lilypond-book (and sourced my
$PATH) in /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and ~/bin, because my $PATH is
defined as ~/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin, as expected, the one in my
~/bin folder is the one called.

Re: lilypond-book in 2.11.57

Laura Conrad

    >> No, my path is set correctly.  When I run lilypond, I get:
    >>
    >> newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ lilypond --version
    >> GNU LilyPond 2.11.57

    James> what do you get when you run echo $PATH or which lilypond-book?

newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ echo $PATH
/home/newlily/bin:/home/newlily/bin:/home/newlily/.local/bin:/home/newlily/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/newlily/.local/bin

newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ which lilypond-book
/home/newlily/bin/lilypond-book

newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ lilypond-book sonate.lytex
lilypond-book (GNU LilyPond) 2.11.57
Reading sonate.lytex...
Running latex...latex: /home/newlily/lilypond/usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by latex)
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(/tmp/tmpB70qeQ.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh
yphenation, arabic, farsi, croatian, ukrainian, russian, bulgarian, czech, slov
ak, danish, dutch, finnish, basque, french, german, ngerman, ibycus, greek, mon
ogreek, ancientgreek, hungarian, italian, latin, mongolian, norsk, icelandic, i
nterlingua, turkish, coptic, romanian, welsh, serbian, slovenian, estonian, esp
eranto, uppersorbian, indonesian, polish, portuguese, spanish, catalan, galicia
n, swedish, ukenglish, loaded.

(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/memoir/memoir.cls
Document Class: memoir 2005/09/25 v1.618 configurable document class
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/memoir/mem12.clo)
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/memoir/mempatch.sty))
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/inputenc.sty
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/latin1.def))
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.sty
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/keyval.sty)
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/xelatex/xetexconfig/geometry.cfg))
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/graphicx.sty
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/trig.sty)
(/etc/texmf/tex/latex/config/graphics.cfg)
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/dvips.def)))
No file tmpB70qeQ.aux.
textwidth=505.89pt
columnsep=10.0pt
(./tmpB70qeQ.aux) )
No pages of output.
Transcript written on tmpB70qeQ.log.
Dissecting...
Writing snippets...
Processing...
Running lilypond...GNU LilyPond 2.10.33
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
Traceback (most recent call last):

I don't see any other way to interpret the above output than that
lilyond-book 2.11.57 is running lilyond 2.10.33, even though:

newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ which lilypond
/home/newlily/bin/lilypond
newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ /home/newlily/bin/lilypond
GNU LilyPond 2.11.57

newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ /usr/bin/lilypond
GNU LilyPond 2.10.33

    James>  It really seems to me that the problem is in your path. I can't seem
    James> to reproduce it, but then I'm using OSX, not ubuntu. Just to test it,
    James> I installed three different versions of lilypond-book (and sourced my
    James> $PATH) in /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and ~/bin, because my $PATH is
    James> defined as ~/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin, as expected, the one in my
    James> ~/bin folder is the one called.

I'm glad it works somewhere, but it really doesn't for me.

--
Laura   (mailto:[hidden email] http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Tristo e' quel discepolo che non avanza il suo Maestro.

(It's a bad student who doesn't advance past his Master.)

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: lilypond-book in 2.11.57

Patrick Horgan
James E. Bailey wrote:
>   It really seems to me that the problem is in your path. I can't seem
> to reproduce it, but then I'm using OSX, not ubuntu. Just to test it,
> I installed three different versions of lilypond-book (and sourced my
> $PATH) in /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and ~/bin, because my $PATH is
> defined as ~/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin, as expected, the one in my
> ~/bin folder is the one called.

His complaint didn't have anything to do with different versions of
lilypond book.  His complaint was about different versions of lilypond.
When lilypond book invoked lilypond it invoked the wrong one, i.e. the
global not the local resource.  I wish he'd post an echo $PATH, and a
whereis lilypond though.

Patrick

Re: lilypond-book in 2.11.57

Tapio Tuovila

> newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ lilypond-book sonate.lytex
> lilypond-book (GNU LilyPond) 2.11.57
> Reading sonate.lytex...
> Running latex...latex:
> <SNIP>
>
> Processing...
> Running lilypond...GNU LilyPond 2.10.33
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>

> I don't see any other way to interpret the above output than that
> lilyond-book 2.11.57 is running lilyond 2.10.33, even though:
>
> newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ which lilypond
> /home/newlily/bin/lilypond
> newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ /home/newlily/bin/lilypond
> GNU LilyPond 2.11.57
>
> newlily@cornet:~/music/bigaglia/amin/bmin$ /usr/bin/lilypond
> GNU LilyPond 2.10.33
>

>     James>  It really seems to me that the problem is in your path. I can't seem
>     James> to reproduce it, but then I'm using OSX, not ubuntu. Just to test it,
>     James> I installed three different versions of lilypond-book (and sourced my
>     James> $PATH) in /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and ~/bin, because my $PATH is
>     James> defined as ~/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin, as expected, the one in my
>     James> ~/bin folder is the one called.
>
> I'm glad it works somewhere, but it really doesn't for me.

Hi, I've done some more homework now, and I have to second Laura's
opinion. I installed (with Synaptic) lilypond 2.10.33 in /usr/bin and
now seems that lilypond-book 2.11.57 (in ~/bin) calls lilypond 2.10.33
(in /usr/bin)

tapio@tapio-desktop:~/Desktop/Lataukset$ echo $PATH
/home/tapio/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

tapio@tapio-desktop:~/Desktop/Lataukset$ which lilypond
/home/tapio/bin/lilypond

tapio@tapio-desktop:~/Desktop/Lataukset$ whereis lilypond
lilypond: /usr/bin/lilypond /usr/lib/lilypond /usr/share/lilypond
/usr/share/man/man1/lilypond.1.gz

So it seems that first time I responded too hastily. I thought like
James that this is a path problem, but now I can reproduce the behavior
described by Laura.
Also the path settings can be seen, they seem to be OK to me.
Bug reproduced, (user-installed) lilypond-book fails to call the
user-installed lilypond if there is lilypond installed in /usr/bin.

My best. Tapio

Re: lilypond-book in 2.11.57

John Mandereau-2
On 2008/08/31 11:12 -0400, Laura Conrad wrote:
> When I run "lilypond-book --pdf sonate.lytex", I get:
>
>      Running lilypond...GNU LilyPond 2.10.33
>      Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
>
> Note that this is the wrong version of lilypond -- 2.10.33 is
> installed systemwide, but the user who's installed the GUB expects to
> be running 2.11.57.

> So lilypond-book is definitely not respecting the user's path when
> running lilypond.

lilypond-book should not respect the user path by default, it should run
the lilypond binary which comes from the same binary package; the latter
was broken in GUB binaries, and it's been fixed in Git, the fix will
appear in 2.11.58 or .59.  In the meantime, you can try to apply the
attached patch to your installed lilypond-book.

Thanks for the report
John

lp-book-path.diff (693 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: lilypond-book in 2.11.57

John Mandereau-2
On 2008/09/02 01:32 +0300, Tapio Tuovila wrote:
> Bug reproduced, (user-installed) lilypond-book fails to call the
> user-installed lilypond if there is lilypond installed in /usr/bin.

I could reproduce and fix the bug:

John