lilypond and editors

12

lilypond and editors

confrey
Hi everybody,
I know some text editors have a support for lilypond; I'd like to know
what's a fine editor for lilypond, and if it is possible to customize
gedit (sintax highlighting and statement recognition adn completation).
bye

confrey

--

confrey

********************************
Linux Registered User    #240359
Linux Registered Machine #133789

Re: lilypond and editors

Mats Bengtsson-4
There's a section on "Editor support" in the manual, did you read that?
Also, you could try to search the mailing list archives to get even more
hints.

   /Mats

confrey wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I know some text editors have a support for lilypond; I'd like to know
> what's a fine editor for lilypond, and if it is possible to customize
> gedit (sintax highlighting and statement recognition adn completation).
> bye
>
> confrey

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: lilypond and editors

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
However, this section is not quite up-to-date. Especially regarding my
child, LilyPondTool :-) Look at http://lilypondtool.organum.hu (Demo and
Documentation/Flash tutorials would give you an impression of what it does)

Bert

Mats Bengtsson írta:

> There's a section on "Editor support" in the manual, did you read that?
> Also, you could try to search the mailing list archives to get even
> more hints.
>
>   /Mats
>
> confrey wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>> I know some text editors have a support for lilypond; I'd like to know
>> what's a fine editor for lilypond, and if it is possible to customize
>> gedit (sintax highlighting and statement recognition adn completation).
>> bye
>>
>> confrey

Re: lilypond and editors

Mats Bengtsson-4
Could you please propose an updated formulation to include in the manual.

   /Mats

Bertalan Fodor wrote:

> However, this section is not quite up-to-date. Especially regarding my
> child, LilyPondTool :-) Look at http://lilypondtool.organum.hu (Demo
> and Documentation/Flash tutorials would give you an impression of what
> it does)
>
> Bert
>
> Mats Bengtsson írta:
>> There's a section on "Editor support" in the manual, did you read that?
>> Also, you could try to search the mailing list archives to get even
>> more hints.
>>
>>   /Mats
>>
>> confrey wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>> I know some text editors have a support for lilypond; I'd like to know
>>> what's a fine editor for lilypond, and if it is possible to customize
>>> gedit (sintax highlighting and statement recognition adn completation).
>>> bye
>>>
>>> confrey

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: lilypond and editors

Rick Hansen (aka RickH)

confrey wrote
Hi everybody,
I know some text editors have a support for lilypond; I'd like to know
what's a fine editor for lilypond, and if it is possible to customize
gedit (sintax highlighting and statement recognition adn completation).
bye

confrey

--

confrey

********************************
Linux Registered User    #240359
Linux Registered Machine #133789

If you are on Windows, I created this syntax highlighter for the Context editor:

www.context.cx

Here is the highlighter plug in I created:

http://forum.context.cx/index.php?topic=1396.0

First download/install Context editor, then download/copy the highlighter file to the appropriate directory, then whenever you open a ly file in context it will be highlighted, it also separates scheme code from lilypond code style-wise.  I entered around 700 or so lilypond reserverd words in the highlighter and the sceme code appears with a gray background, it also matches opening/closing brackets, hilights comments differently, etc. and acceps unicode or ascii data.

Context is a great multi-tabbed, editor with a directory navigator, and support for code libraries, etc.  I've been using it since July or so and am very satisfied with it.

Rick

Re: lilypond and editors

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Before choosing an editor to work with, do not forget to look at the
Flash demos of LilyPondTool, especially:
http://lilypondtool.organum.hu/tut03-myfirstsong.htm
and
http://www.organum.hu/126.0.html

Then you can choose any other editors, but keep in mind what you lose :-)

Bert

Re: lilypond and editors

Simon Dahlbacka
If you are on Windows, I created this syntax highlighter for the Context
editor:

www.context.cx

Here is the highlighter plug in I created:

http://forum.context.cx/index.php?topic=1396.0

First download/install Context editor, then download/copy the highlighter
file to the appropriate directory, then whenever you open a ly file in
context it will be highlighted, it also separates scheme code from lilypond
code style-wise.  I entered around 700 or so lilypond reserverd words in the
highlighter and the sceme code appears with a gray background, it also
matches opening/closing brackets, hilights comments differently, etc. and
acceps unicode or ascii data.

So long as you only need ASCII then it's probably ok, but last time I checked it did *not* support UTF-8 properly (even though it claims something along the lines of utf-8 awareness on the front page) so at least for me, it's pretty much useless.. YMMV of course..

my 0.02€

Simon

Re: lilypond and editors

Andreas v. Heydwolff
confrey wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I know some text editors have a support for lilypond; I'd like to know
> what's a fine editor for lilypond, and if it is possible to customize
> gedit (sintax highlighting and statement recognition adn completation).
> bye

> confrey

kate with colored syntax (downloadable somewhere), utf-encoding, command
line window for compiling, code snippet and session saving. "Rocks."

Andreas v.H.

(sorry for PM)

Re: lilypond and editors

Andreas v. Heydwolff
confrey wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I know some text editors have a support for lilypond; I'd like to know
> what's a fine editor for lilypond, and if it is possible to customize
> gedit (sintax highlighting and statement recognition adn completation).
> bye

> confrey

kate with colored syntax (downloadable somewhere), utf-encoding, command
line window for compiling, code snippet and session saving. "Rocks."

Andreas v.H.

(sorry for PM)

Re: lilypond and editors

Frédéric Chiasson
Hi everyone,

On the same subject, I would like to propose an improvement for the Lilypond editor on Mac OS (mine is 10.4). It would be really nice if we could point and click on an error message and the code creating the error would be highlighted. Or, an easier thing to program, a line and character counter in the editor would be great, since the error messages give the line number where the bug is. It would be a great improvement.

By the way, is there any editor having LilyPond tool other than jEdit?

Thanks,

Frédéric Chiasson

2006/12/7, Andreas v. Heydwolff <[hidden email]>:
confrey wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I know some text editors have a support for lilypond; I'd like to know
> what's a fine editor for lilypond, and if it is possible to customize
> gedit (sintax highlighting and statement recognition adn completation).
> bye

> confrey

kate with colored syntax (downloadable somewhere), utf-encoding, command
line window for compiling, code snippet and session saving. "Rocks."

Andreas v.H.

(sorry for PM)

Re: lilypond and editors

Thomas Scharkowski
Just curious:
what's wrong with jEdit?
Thomas

> Hi everyone,
>
> On the same subject, I would like to propose an improvement for the Lilypond
> editor on Mac OS (mine is 10.4). It would be really nice if we could point
> and click on an error message and the code creating the error would be
> highlighted. Or, an easier thing to program, a line and character counter in
> the editor would be great, since the error messages give the line number
> where the bug is. It would be a great improvement.
>
> By the way, is there any editor having LilyPond tool other than jEdit?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frédéric Chiasson
>

> 2006/12/7, Andreas v. Heydwolff <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > confrey wrote:
> > > Hi everybody,
> > > I know some text editors have a support for lilypond; I'd like to know
> > > what's a fine editor for lilypond, and if it is possible to customize
> > > gedit (sintax highlighting and statement recognition adn completation).
> > > bye
> >
> > > confrey
> >

> > kate with colored syntax (downloadable somewhere), utf-encoding, command
> > line window for compiling, code snippet and session saving. "Rocks."
> >
> > Andreas v.H.
> >
> > (sorry for PM)

Re: lilypond and editors

Father Geoffrey Horton
On 12/7/06, Thomas Scharkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just curious:
> what's wrong with jEdit?
> Thomas

Editors are one of those things that really depend on personal taste.
It may just be that I've been using emacs for too long, but jEdit
drove me nuts. Others have their favorite way of doing things, and
jEdit may or may not work well with that.

So what's wrong with jEdit? Nothing, if it fits the way you work.

Geoff

Re: lilypond and editors

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Often one can gain productivity by fitting his way of work to the editor :-)

Bert

> So what's wrong with jEdit? Nothing, if it fits the way you work.

Re: lilypond and editors

Father Geoffrey Horton
> Often one can gain productivity by fitting his way of work to the editor :-)
>
> Bert

Sometimes, yes. Often ... I don't know about that, and I'm not really
a fan of the idea. Tools exist for me; I don't exist for tools.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying jEdit. I did. I prefer
something else. YMMV :)

Geoff

Re: lilypond and editors

Frédéric Chiasson
Well, I never tried jEdit on Mac. But I tried it on PC and the LilypondTool didn't work out and I had so many problems that I discarded it after a week.

Maybe I should give it a second shot. It migth work better on Mac OS.

Thanks for the comments,

Frédéric

2006/12/7, Bertalan Fodor <[hidden email]>:
Often one can gain productivity by fitting his way of work to the editor :-)

Bert

> So what's wrong with jEdit? Nothing, if it fits the way you work.

Re: lilypond and editors

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Should you have any problems I'm here to help ;-) Remember to look at

Frédéric Chiasson írta:

> Well, I never tried jEdit on Mac. But I tried it on PC and the
> LilypondTool didn't work out and I had so many problems that I
> discarded it after a week.
>
> Maybe I should give it a second shot. It migth work better on Mac OS.
>
> Thanks for the comments,
>
> Frédéric
>

> 2006/12/7, Bertalan Fodor <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Often one can gain productivity by fitting his way of work to the
>     editor :-)
>
>     Bert
>
>     > So what's wrong with jEdit? Nothing, if it fits the way you work.

Re: lilypond and editors

Tapio Tuovila
Frédéric Chiasson kirjoitti:
> Well, I never tried jEdit on Mac. But I tried it on PC and the
> LilypondTool didn't work out and I had so many problems that I
> discarded it after a week.
On the other hand, I have used jEdit with LilypondTool on PC (SuSE and
Ubuntu linux) for over two years on almost daily basis; here this
combination has worked all the time and has grown better and better,
(IMHO, that is. )

So I would like to encourage anybody to give jEdit at least a try, I
find jEdit with LilypondTool quite an effective tool.

my best wishes,
Tapio

Re: lilypond and editors

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)

> So I would like to encourage anybody to give jEdit at least a try,

I'd rather say some tries in regular intervals :-)
LilyPondTool is under continous development nowadays and it evolves. Besides this a very exciting new feature is under testing now, which will make another big step in efficiency. (I don't tell what it is now because I'd like present it as a  Christmas surprise :-) )

Bert

Re: lilypond and editors

Stan Sanderson

On Dec 8, 2006, at 2:40 AM, Bertalan Fodor wrote:

>> So I would like to encourage anybody to give jEdit at least a try,
>
> I'd rather say some tries in regular intervals :-)
> LilyPondTool is under continous development nowadays and it
> evolves. Besides this a very exciting new feature is under testing
> now, which will make another big step in efficiency. (I don't tell
> what it is now because I'd like present it as a  Christmas
> surprise :-) )
>
> Bert

As a long time user of Lilypond, and one who just recently "found"
LilyPondTool, I am eager for Santa's arrival!

Thank you!

Stan

Re: lilypond and editors

Rick Hansen (aka RickH)

Geoff Horton wrote
> Often one can gain productivity by fitting his way of work to the editor :-)
>
> Bert

Sometimes, yes. Often ... I don't know about that, and I'm not really
a fan of the idea. Tools exist for me; I don't exist for tools.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying jEdit. I did. I prefer
something else. YMMV :)

Geoff

On Windows XP I gave jEdit a try, then I switched to Context.  The main issues I had with jEdit on Windows is that it would not install unless I went to IBM or SUN microsystems web site to install some other stuff first as I recall.  Then forums suggested I needed something called cygwin, big mistake there, after I installed that my machine was never the same, more sluggish.  After I got jEdit finally working it kept locking up whenever I tried to open too many files simultaneously.  Also if I opened a text file that was over say 2 meg or so, it would try to parse ending brackets for the WHOLE file, instead of just showing me the page I was on, and it typically took about 5 minutes to open these large files and 15 seconds for the PageUp/Down keys to work.  With Context I've had several dozen files open simultaneously in its tabbed folders and my large files also open immediately.  But I'm not sure of the future of Context either because it's author only makes updates once a year or so, but for now I'm productive with it.

jEdit had a lot going for it functionality-wise, but it needs some work performance-wise and installation-wise for Windows machines from my experiences, maybe others like it on Windows but for me it did not work out.  I think it sould be changed to install all of it's own dependencies itself, so at least users can begin using it immediately.

12