lilypond 2.4.4 package on suse 9.3: dvips problem

lilypond 2.4.4 package on suse 9.3: dvips problem

Robert Memering
Well,

I finally post a message here and I am ready to take all
the "didn't you search the archive" and "didn't you read
the documentation" replies. Perhaps I am really stupid.

But: I am frustrated.

[you may skip the whining now and see below for the actual problem]

I am definitely not a newbie, and I do have some experience
with things like Unix/Linux administration and configuration,
even with The Obscure World Of TEXMF And The Fonts Therein.
And, yes, i did browse the archives. But I still won't get my
out-of-the box lilypond and dvips to produce PS and PDF.

Ok, it's just a matter of (mis-)configuration, then? Maybe, but
I'm so tired of wasting my time searching archives, trying
hundreds of promising "solutions" and still getting no results.
Why do the Windows and Mac people always get "standalone installers"
and "all-in-one-packages", while Unix/Linux users have to become
experts to get their software running? This is the lilypond-*user*
list and all the people are discussing kpathsea and mftrace
internals that a decent, ordinary person would call Black Magic.

I was very lucky that I first tried lilypond when -by chance -
the 2.4.1 rpm worked on my SuSE installation without further
modifications (it was SuSE 9.0 if I remember correctly). On the
next version this didn't work, so I tried to build lilypond myself.
Waste of time, frustration. I was so happy when I got SuSE 9.3
and noticed that they finally included a 2.4 version of lilypond,
but it doesn't work properly either (see below). I filed a bug
report, but, of course, the SuSE developers don't care.

Lilypond is the BEST, and I need it back! As a USER (which means:
using it :)

[go on here...]

My problem:

- I have SuSE 9.3, lilypond 2.4.4.
- Lilypond works, dvi and midi output is fine.
- The integrated production of ps and pdf fails. I get documents
with many musical symbols missing and all wrong text fonts.
- invoking dvips (and ps2pdf) manually works, but produces very
bad resolution (esp. on screen).

I see that this is the old problem that is well-known from LaTeX.
If I try the -Ppdf option with dvips (which is of course the relevant
point), I get the following output (and the bad ps) from dvips:

dvips -Ppdf -u+lilypond -u+ec-mftrace sicongieprens.dvi

This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2005.05.30:0032' -> sicongieprens.ps
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 0+7600/8000 --dpi
7600 feta20
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
mktexpk: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=dpdfezzz; mag:=0+7600/8000;
nonstopmode; input feta20
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)
! Enormous number has been reduced.
<*> \mode:=dpdfezzz; mag:=0+7600
                                /8000; nonstopmode; input feta20
?
! Emergency stop.
<*> \mode:=dpdfezzz; mag:=0+7600
                                /8000; nonstopmode; input feta20
Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: feta20.log: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mktexpk: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=dpdfezzz; mag:=0+7600/8000;
nonstopmode; input feta20' failed to make feta20.7600pk.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
dvips: Font feta20 at 7600 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Such scaling will generate extremely poor output.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 0+7600/8000 --dpi
7600 feta16
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
mktexpk: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=dpdfezzz; mag:=0+7600/8000;
nonstopmode; input feta16

--- snip! [similar blocks several times] ---

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: parmesan20.log: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
mktexpk: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=dpdfezzz; mag:=0+7600/8000;
nonstopmode; input parmesan20' failed to make parmesan20.7600pk.
dvips: Font parmesan20 not found, characters will be left blank.
<tex.pro><alt-rule.pro><music-drawing-routines.ps><texps.pro><special.pro>.
<ecbi8.pfb><ecbx10.pfb><ecti7.pfb><ecrm10.pfb><ecrb10.pfb><ecbx12.pfb>
<eccc10.pfb>[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

I would be very grateful for any help.
Robert

Re: lilypond 2.4.4 package on suse 9.3: dvips problem

Graham Percival

On 3-Jun-05, at 5:27 PM, Robert Memering wrote:
> Ok, it's just a matter of (mis-)configuration, then? Maybe, but
> I'm so tired of wasting my time searching archives, trying
> hundreds of promising "solutions" and still getting no results.
> Why do the Windows and Mac people always get "standalone installers"
> and "all-in-one-packages", while Unix/Linux users have to become
> experts to get their software running?

There's a new   installers/linux/   directory in CVS.  If you wait a few
weeks, you'll probably get an "all-in-one-package".

>  This is the lilypond-*user*
> list and all the people are discussing kpathsea and mftrace
> internals that a decent, ordinary person would call Black Magic.

People are running the -devel version (2.5.x).  This sometimes
requires Black Magic.

> I would be very grateful for any help.

I don't know any Black Magic.  You might have tried this
already, but I'd give 2.5.x a try.  Hey, the worst that can happen
is that it fails, right?  You could try the redhat rpm, but I'd go
straight
to the source tarball.  Follow the instructions in the INSTALL
directory, and if anything goes wrong, post here again.

Re: lilypond 2.4.4 package on suse 9.3: dvips problem

Tapio Tuovila

>> I would be very grateful for any help.
>
> I don't know any Black Magic.  You might have tried this
> already, but I'd give 2.5.x a try.  Hey, the worst that can happen
> is that it fails, right?  You could try the redhat rpm, but I'd go
> straight
> to the source tarball.  Follow the instructions in the INSTALL
> directory, and if anything goes wrong, post here again.
>
> - Graham

I'd like to second Graham's opinion. Compiling 2.5.2x goes smoothly on
suse 9.3; at least I have noticed no particular problem. And once you
use 2.5.x you need not worry about dvips -sort of things.

my best,
Tapio

Re: lilypond 2.4.4 package on suse 9.3: dvips problem

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Robert Memering writes:

> My problem:
>
> - I have SuSE 9.3, lilypond 2.4.4.
> - Lilypond works, dvi and midi output is fine.
> - The integrated production of ps and pdf fails.

SUSE ships a broken LilyPond installation.  Did you think of Solution:
report bug to SUSE?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: lilypond 2.4.4 package on suse 9.3: dvips problem

Bo Herlin
Robert Memering wrote:

> - I have SuSE 9.3, lilypond 2.4.4.
> - Lilypond works, dvi and midi output is fine.
> - The integrated production of ps and pdf fails. I get documents
> with many musical symbols missing and all wrong text fonts.
> - invoking dvips (and ps2pdf) manually works, but produces very
> bad resolution (esp. on screen).

I had trouble with lilypond in SuSE 9.3, which now is solved thanks to
Mats Bengtsson.

This is the solution:

cd /usr/share/lilypond/2.4.4/fonts/
mkdir map
cd map
ln -s ../../dvips/lilypond.map
texhash

R/Bo

Am Samstag, 4. Juni 2005 06:27 schrieb Tapio Tuovila:
> I'd like to second Graham's opinion. Compiling 2.5.2x goes smoothly on
> suse 9.3; at least I have noticed no particular problem. And once you
> use 2.5.x you need not worry about dvips -sort of things.

I have deleted 2.4.4 and built 2.5.27 on SuSE now, and you are
right: compilation went quite smoothly. But it is not much use,
because none of my old 2.4.x scores work. I used convert-ly, but I
still have several problems. One score doesn't compile, and the
other ones have one-line-staves instead of five-line ones (this
-at least- seems to be a bug of the unstable version because the
score on page 48 of the 2.5 Manual, pdf version, shows the same
phenomenon).

So, I think that I will wait for a new stable version,
because I am fed up with spending days on trying to get
things running.

By the way, thanks to Bo Herlin, but this "solution" didn't
work for me (I had even tried similar soft-link solutions
myself before).

If any of the developers is interested, see below for the
output of the score that doesn't compile.

Regards,
Robert

lilypond sicongieprens-neu.ly

GNU LilyPond 2.5.27
»sicongieprens-neu.ly« wird verarbeitet
Analysieren...sicongieprens-neu.ly:1:48: In expression (make-stencil-boxer 0.1
0.25 ...):
sicongieprens-neu.ly:1:48: Wrong number of arguments to #<procedure
make-stencil-boxer (thickness padding callback)>

Re: lilypond 2.4.4 package on suse 9.3: dvips problem

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Robert Memering wrote:

> I have deleted 2.4.4 and built 2.5.27 on SuSE now, and you are
> right: compilation went quite smoothly. But it is not much use,
> because none of my old 2.4.x scores work. I used convert-ly, but I
> still have several problems. One score doesn't compile, and the
> other ones have one-line-staves instead of five-line ones (this
> -at least- seems to be a bug of the unstable version because the
> score on page 48 of the 2.5 Manual, pdf version, shows the same
> phenomenon).
>
> So, I think that I will wait for a new stable version,
> because I am fed up with spending days on trying to get
> things running.

That's not going to help. 2.6 will be based on the current 2.5 - send a
bug report if you want it fixed.

On 4-Jun-05, at 10:25 AM, Robert Memering wrote:
> I have deleted 2.4.4 and built 2.5.27 on SuSE now, and you are
> right: compilation went quite smoothly. But it is not much use,
> because none of my old 2.4.x scores work. I used convert-ly, but I
> still have several problems. One score doesn't compile, and the
> other ones have one-line-staves instead of five-line ones (this
> -at least- seems to be a bug of the unstable version because the
> score on page 48 of the 2.5 Manual, pdf version, shows the same
> phenomenon).

In the future, please refer to the section number, rather than pdf.
Saying
``the template in section 3.5 "Ancient notation templates"  is broken"
is easier for us to track, since the page numbers change between
versions.

I'll follow up this bug.

> So, I think that I will wait for a new stable version,
> because I am fed up with spending days on trying to get
> things running.

The next stable version is based on the current 2.5 version, and will
be coming out Real Soon Now.  If there's bugs -- and I wouldn't have
noticed that problem in Ancient Notation, BTW -- then we'd like to
know about them.

> GNU LilyPond 2.5.27
> »sicongieprens-neu.ly« wird verarbeitet
> Analysieren...sicongieprens-neu.ly:1:48: In expression
> (make-stencil-boxer 0.1
> 0.25 ...):
> sicongieprens-neu.ly:1:48: Wrong number of arguments to #<procedure
> make-stencil-boxer (thickness padding callback)>

The attachment got cut off, but it looks like you're trying to do
something
fancy in scheme.

Robert Memering kirjoitti:
>compilation went quite smoothly.
at least I'm glad about this.
>But it is not much use,
>because none of my old 2.4.x scores work. I used convert-ly, but I
>still have several problems. One score doesn't compile, and the
>other ones have one-line-staves instead of five-line ones (this
>-at least- seems to be a bug of the unstable version because the
>score on page 48 of the 2.5 Manual, pdf version, shows the same
>phenomenon).

Yes, seems that either that score is somehow broken or there is a bug in
lilypond 2.5.27.

On the other hand, for me the 2.5.27 on SuSE 9.3 has worked fine (as
have most versions after 2.5.18, by the way), in my opinion it is not at
all that 'unstable'.

I also tested converting some 2.4.x scores and this mostly went OK. One
occasion, however, was somehow messed with the encodings (2.4 *.ly files
being in iso-8859-1 and 2.5 *.ly files in utf-8) and that one produced
blank pages after the header. But when I tried converting again, this
also went OK. As I could not reproduce the problem there's not much to
say about it.
>So, I think that I will wait for a new stable version,
>because I am fed up with spending days on trying to get
>things running.
Or, how about a bug report with short examples? The stable version is
coming pretty soon, and would be nice if your problem were fixed in it, too.

my best, Tapio

Am Samstag, 4. Juni 2005 23:49 schrieb Graham Percival:

> > GNU LilyPond 2.5.27
> > »sicongieprens-neu.ly« wird verarbeitet
> > Analysieren...sicongieprens-neu.ly:1:48: In expression
> > (make-stencil-boxer 0.1
> > 0.25 ...):
> > sicongieprens-neu.ly:1:48: Wrong number of arguments to #<procedure
> > make-stencil-boxer (thickness padding callback)>
>
> The attachment got cut off, but it looks like you're trying to do
> something
> fancy in scheme.

In fact, the attachment isn't cut off. This is the output.
And I didn't do anything fancy as far as I can tell.
If I understand correctly, it says that the error is in
line 1, column 48? This location doesn't exinst in my input file.
If you're interested I can send you my input file.

As for the one-line-staff bug: Since you said you'll
follow up this bug, I won't file a bug report for this. But
I agree with that I should have done it in the first place.

Again, thanks everyone for the response,

On 5-Jun-05, at 4:24 AM, Robert Memering wrote:

> Am Samstag, 4. Juni 2005 23:49 schrieb Graham Percival:
>> The attachment got cut off, but it looks like you're trying to do
>> something
>> fancy in scheme.
>
> In fact, the attachment isn't cut off. This is the output.
> If you're interested I can send you my input file.

Well, yes.  We can't figure out what went wrong without an
input file.

Am Sonntag, 5. Juni 2005 21:09 schrieb Graham Percival:
> Well, yes.  We can't figure out what went wrong without an
> input file.

Nevermind, I figured it out myself. You were right, I was
actually doing something fancy. It was a bar-number trick
that I took from one of the example files:

\override Score.BarNumber  #'break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible
\set Score.barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 5)
\override Score.BarNumber  #'print-function =
#(make-stencil-boxer 0.1 0.25 0.25 Text_interface::print)
\override Score.BarNumber  #'font-size = #1
\override Score.BarNumber #'extra-offset = #'(1 . 1)

When I deleted the second "0.25" argument it worked.

As for the one-line-staff bug: Any news? Did you reproduce it?

Best regards,

On 7-Jun-05, at 2:13 AM, Robert Memering wrote:

> As for the one-line-staff bug: Any news? Did you reproduce it?

I reproduced it in 2.5.27, but I didn't want to track it down at that
time.  I tried
it again today (using 2.5.28), prepared to track it down, but it didn't
occur.  The
template compiled correctly.  (the web docs are broken, but the
template on
its own is fine, when it wasn't in .27)

Try your score in .28 and see if it happens again.