lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?

Cyprien Gay

Hello,

I was wondering whether lilypond is part of agnula.
(it seems not).

Also, is there any live-cd with lilypond on it ?
If not, would that not be a great thing to have,
for the spreading lilypond ?

Cyprien.

--
Cyprien Gay.

Qu'est-ce qu'un adhésif ?
http://www.crpp-bordeaux.cnrs.fr/~cgay/adhesion.html
http://www.crpp-bordeaux.cnrs.fr/ext/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=8

Testez votre navigateur et votre dextérité à la souris
http://logiciellibre.free.fr/construction.html

Re: lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
There is something called Studio to Go
http://www.ferventsoftware.com
British
Expensive
Lilypond is integrated with Rosegarden
I found it to be a total pain
and the version of Lily is 2.2 which isn't really adequate anymore.
Jay

--
Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton

Re: lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?

Pedro Kröger
Cyprien Gay <[hidden email]> writes:

> Also, is there any live-cd with lilypond on it ?
> If not, would that not be a great thing to have,
> for the spreading lilypond ?

that's a good idea. I just sent an email to dyne:bolic mailing list to
see if they are interested in that.

hum, that raises the question of what editor to use. I'm perfectly happy
with Emacs but maybe some people will not. Jedit seem ok but depends on
non-free software (does it run with some free java?)

Pedro Kröger

Re: lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?

D Josiah Boothby
Does anyone know if there is any momentum to include lilypond on the
upcoming version of dynebolic?

Josiah

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

> There is something called Studio to Go
> http://www.ferventsoftware.com
> British
> Expensive
> Lilypond is integrated with Rosegarden
> I found it to be a total pain
> and the version of Lily is 2.2 which isn't really adequate anymore.
> Jay
>
> Cyprien Gay wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering whether lilypond is part of agnula.
>> (it seems not).
>>
>> Also, is there any live-cd with lilypond on it ?
>> If not, would that not be a great thing to have,
>> for the spreading lilypond ?
>>
>> Cyprien.

Re: lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Cyprien Gay writes:

> I was wondering whether lilypond is part of agnula.

Yes it is.

> (it seems not).

Why do you think that?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Jan Nieuwenhuizen a écrit :
> Cyprien Gay writes:

>>I was wondering whether lilypond is part of agnula.
> Yes it is.

>>(it seems not).
> Why do you think that?

Couldn't spot it in here :
http://www.agnula.org/packages/

Cyprien.

D Josiah Boothby a écrit :
> Does anyone know if there is any momentum to include lilypond on the
> upcoming version of dynebolic?

Didn't know dynebolic, thanks. The CD currently only weighs 586 Mb.
http://www.dynebolic.org/index.php?show=available
Seems video-oriented rather than sound-oriented though.

A similar project is burek, it seems (622 Mb) :
http://garbure.org/burek/
Burek probably more sound-oriented
since there exists a sister distribution (pho, also on garbure.org)
for movie-editing.

Anyone knows either of them ?

Cyprien.

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence a écrit :
> There is something called Studio to Go
> http://www.ferventsoftware.com
> British
> Expensive
> Lilypond is integrated with Rosegarden
> I found it to be a total pain
> and the version of Lily is 2.2 which isn't really adequate anymore.

2.6.1 now, it seems :
http://www.ferventsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=59

Total pain in what sense ?
Integration of Lilypond with Rosegarden is a pain ?

Anyway, expensive indeed.
And only one license per copy.

Cyprien.

> Cyprien Gay wrote:

>> Also, is there any live-cd with lilypond on it ?

Re: lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?

Darius Blasband
I would not say it is expensive in absolute terms - it compares
favourably with Cubase, for instance - but
then again, compared with something that's free, I guess everything
looks expensive.

The hardware autodetection is fairly good. So is the support. I have two
reservation about the product:

  - Claiming you can boot on a CD and save your data on a USB storage
device does not
     work all that well: CD drives are just too slow and noisy for
comfort ! I have not tried to install
     it on a hard disk, but I would expect it to work much better.
  - As far as I have been able to see, there is no facility to edit
double-stave Piano scores, making it cumbersome
     as a Lilypond front-end, at least for me... It might be adequate
for string quartets though...

Darius.

Cyprien Gay writes:

> Couldn't spot it in here :
> http://www.agnula.org/packages/

Well, there's nothing there.  Have a look at the CD or at

    http://demudi.agnula.org/images/1.2.1/README.PACKAGES

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Hardware auto worked fine but connecting it all together each and every
time you boot up is a total pain.
And it wasn't so much that  the initial cost was so much but that
between very slow and mostly inadequate support (the forums last I
checked and that was a while ago- I basically gave up on it- were of not
much use and none of the advise I got worked.) and then that the
software was integrated but not with any of the hardware so just to
start it took forever each time.

Lastly they get you as badly as any other proprietary software for
upgrades-  and given that everything is somewhat older versions you need
the upgrades as soon as they come out.

I just felt it didn't work for writing music (composing in the older sense).
Jay

Darius Blasband wrote:

> I would not say it is expensive in absolute terms - it compares
> favourably with Cubase, for instance - but
> then again, compared with something that's free, I guess everything
> looks expensive.
>
> The hardware autodetection is fairly good. So is the support. I have
> two reservation about the product:
>
>  - Claiming you can boot on a CD and save your data on a USB storage
> device does not
>     work all that well: CD drives are just too slow and noisy for
> comfort ! I have not tried to install
>     it on a hard disk, but I would expect it to work much better.
>  - As far as I have been able to see, there is no facility to edit
> double-stave Piano scores, making it cumbersome
>     as a Lilypond front-end, at least for me... It might be adequate
> for string quartets though...
>
> Darius.
>

> Cyprien Gay wrote:
>
>> Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence a écrit :
>>

>>> There is something called Studio to Go
>>> http://www.ferventsoftware.com
>>> British
>>> Expensive
>>> Lilypond is integrated with Rosegarden
>>> I found it to be a total pain
>>> and the version of Lily is 2.2 which isn't really adequate anymore.
>>>

>> 2.6.1 now, it seems :
>> http://www.ferventsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=59
>>

>> Total pain in what sense ?
>> Integration of Lilypond with Rosegarden is a pain ?
>>
>> Anyway, expensive indeed.
>> And only one license per copy.
>>
>> Cyprien.

Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton
Sound and Silence
206-328-7694
www.soundand.com

Re: lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?

Darius Blasband
Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

> Hardware auto worked fine but connecting it all together each and
> every time you boot up is a total pain.

I totally agree... Hence my comment about installing it on a hard disk;
booting on the CD is unreasonable beyond demoware...

> And it wasn't so much that  the initial cost was so much but that
> between very slow and mostly inadequate support (the forums last I
> checked and that was a while ago- I basically gave up on it- were of
> not much use and none of the advise I got worked.) and then that the
> software was integrated but not with any of the hardware so just to
> start it took forever each time.

I needed support only once, and the answer was prompt and adequate. But
I might have been just lucky...

Darius.