landscape orientation differences between versions

landscape orientation differences between versions

Stephan Schöll
Hello everybody

I'm working with Lilypond for several months now, and my experiments get
more and more realistic and interesting ;-) So I will follow up with
specific questions soon and hope someone may be able to give me advice.

As I'm new to this list, I would like to ask how I should handle the
following observation:

Let's start with the following code fragment:

{code}
\version "2.18.2"

\book {
  \paper {
    #(set-paper-size "a5" 'landscape)
    \new Staff
    <<
      { \relative c'{ c d e f}}

    \layout {
{code}

When I render this code with Lilypond v2.18.2, the PDF appears in
landscape view as expected - be it in Adobe Reader or in the Frescobaldi
score view.

When I render this code with Lilypnd v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
portrait orientation (and displayed so in the viewers mentionned).

When I change the version hint in the code to
{code}
\version "2.19.83"
{code}
and render the code with Lilypond v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
portrait orientation.

*Summary*
File version hint    Lilypond version   PDF orientation
2.18.2               2.18.2             landscape
2.18.2               2.19.83            portrait
2.19.83              2.19.83            portrait

Is this a bug? Where to post it? Or have I missed something?

Thanks in Advance
Steff

Re: landscape orientation differences between versions

David Wright
On Sat 04 May 2019 at 15:48:04 (+0200), [hidden email] wrote:

> When I render this code with Lilypond v2.18.2, the PDF appears in
> landscape view as expected - be it in Adobe Reader or in the Frescobaldi
> score view.
>
> When I render this code with Lilypnd v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
> portrait orientation (and displayed so in the viewers mentionned).
>
> When I change the version hint in the code to
> {code}
> \version "2.19.83"
> {code}
> and render the code with Lilypond v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
> portrait orientation.
>
> *Summary*
> File version hint    Lilypond version   PDF orientation
> 2.18.2               2.18.2             landscape
> 2.18.2               2.19.83            portrait
> 2.19.83              2.19.83            portrait
>
> Is this a bug? Where to post it? Or have I missed something?

Things changed/were corrected. I think the story unfolds in this thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-05/msg00017.html

Cheers,
David.

"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello everybody
>
> I'm working with Lilypond for several months now, and my experiments get
> more and more realistic and interesting ;-) So I will follow up with
> specific questions soon and hope someone may be able to give me advice.
>
> As I'm new to this list, I would like to ask how I should handle the
> following observation:
>
> Let's start with the following code fragment:
>
> {code}
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \book {
>   \paper {
>     #(set-paper-size "a5" 'landscape)
>   }
>   \score {
>     \new Staff
>     <<
>       { \relative c'{ c d e f}}
>     >>
>     \layout {
>     }
>   }
> }
> {code}
>
> When I render this code with Lilypond v2.18.2, the PDF appears in
> landscape view as expected - be it in Adobe Reader or in the Frescobaldi
> score view.
>
> When I render this code with Lilypnd v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
> portrait orientation (and displayed so in the viewers mentionned).
>
> When I change the version hint in the code to
> {code}
> \version "2.19.83"
> {code}
> and render the code with Lilypond v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
> portrait orientation.
>
> *Summary*
> File version hint    Lilypond version   PDF orientation
> 2.18.2               2.18.2             landscape
> 2.18.2               2.19.83            portrait
> 2.19.83              2.19.83            portrait
>
> Is this a bug? Where to post it? Or have I missed something?

When something changes, it may be worth reading the manual.  From the
paper size section of 2.19:

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/paper-size-and-automatic-scaling>

    If the symbol 'landscape is added to the paper size function, pages
    will be rotated by 90 degrees, and wider line widths will be set
    accordingly.

        #(set-default-paper-size "a6" 'landscape)

    Swapping the paper dimensions without having the print rotated (like
    when printing to postcard size, or creating graphics for inclusion
    rather than a standalone document) can be achieved by appending
    ‘landscape’ to the name of the paper size itself:

        #(set-default-paper-size "a6landscape")

    When the paper size ends with an explicit ‘landscape’ or ‘portrait’,
    the presence of a 'landscape symbol only affects print orientation,
    not the paper dimensions used for layout.

I'll readily admit that it's not mentioned in the "Changes" section.

Re: landscape orientation differences between versions

Urs Liska-3
Hello Steff,

Am 04.05.19 um 15:48 schrieb [hidden email]:
> Hello everybody
>
> I'm working with Lilypond for several months now, and my experiments get
> more and more realistic and interesting ;-)

Great! Welcome to LilyPond.

>   So I will follow up with
> specific questions soon and hope someone may be able to give me advice.
>
> As I'm new to this list, I would like to ask how I should handle the
> following observation:
>
> Let's start with the following code fragment:
>
> {code}
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \book {
>    \paper {
>      #(set-paper-size "a5" 'landscape)
>    }
>    \score {
>      \new Staff
>      <<
>        { \relative c'{ c d e f}}
>      >>
>      \layout {
>      }
>    }
> }
> {code}
>
> When I render this code with Lilypond v2.18.2, the PDF appears in
> landscape view as expected - be it in Adobe Reader or in the Frescobaldi
> score view.
>
> When I render this code with Lilypnd v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
> portrait orientation (and displayed so in the viewers mentionned).
>
> When I change the version hint in the code to
> {code}
> \version "2.19.83"
> {code}
> and render the code with Lilypond v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
> portrait orientation.
>
> *Summary*
> File version hint    Lilypond version   PDF orientation
> 2.18.2               2.18.2             landscape
> 2.18.2               2.19.83            portrait
> 2.19.83              2.19.83            portrait
>
> Is this a bug? Where to post it? Or have I missed something?

1)
The \version string is not really a hint as you seem to understand it.
You should rather take it as an indication for the *minimum* version to
be use (although that is not the technical meaning of it).
You *can* tell Frescobaldi to use that information to determine which
installed version to be used for compilation (Frescobaldi will take the
LilyPond version with the next higher version number), but LilyPond
itself will only use the string to determine if the document's version
requirement is set (if your file states \version "2.19.83" and you
compile it with 2.18.2 it will produce an error message).

2)
What you see is an intended change that happened during the 2.19
development cycle to remove an inconsistency in the input language.

[but I see others have already answered that ...]

However, for your use case it seems you'll have to decide whether to use
the 2.18 or the 2.19 version (and learn about the convert-ly tool to
update existing input files.
Generally you should really go directly for 2.19. Labelling it
"development version" is really an understatement, and the improvements
have really been significant.

HTH
Urs

> Thanks in Advance
> Steff

Re: landscape orientation differences between versions

Stephan Schöll
Thanks for the hint; works as expected.

The second part you pasted from the documentation containing the crucial
part "a6landscape" is missing in the german version of
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/paper-size-and-automatic-scaling.
And my default browser settings are german :-/

Am 04.05.2019 um 16:26 schrieb David Kastrup:

> "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hello everybody
>>
>> I'm working with Lilypond for several months now, and my experiments get
>> more and more realistic and interesting ;-) So I will follow up with
>> specific questions soon and hope someone may be able to give me advice.
>>
>> As I'm new to this list, I would like to ask how I should handle the
>> following observation:
>>
>> Let's start with the following code fragment:
>>
>> {code}
>> \version "2.18.2"
>>
>> \book {
>>   \paper {
>>     #(set-paper-size "a5" 'landscape)
>>   }
>>   \score {
>>     \new Staff
>>     <<
>>       { \relative c'{ c d e f}}
>>     >>
>>     \layout {
>>     }
>>   }
>> }
>> {code}
>>
>> When I render this code with Lilypond v2.18.2, the PDF appears in
>> landscape view as expected - be it in Adobe Reader or in the Frescobaldi
>> score view.
>>
>> When I render this code with Lilypnd v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
>> portrait orientation (and displayed so in the viewers mentionned).
>>
>> When I change the version hint in the code to
>> {code}
>> \version "2.19.83"
>> {code}
>> and render the code with Lilypond v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
>> portrait orientation.
>>
>> *Summary*
>> File version hint    Lilypond version   PDF orientation
>> 2.18.2               2.18.2             landscape
>> 2.18.2               2.19.83            portrait
>> 2.19.83              2.19.83            portrait
>>
>> Is this a bug? Where to post it? Or have I missed something?
>
> When something changes, it may be worth reading the manual.  From the
> paper size section of 2.19:
>
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/paper-size-and-automatic-scaling>
>
>     If the symbol 'landscape is added to the paper size function, pages
>     will be rotated by 90 degrees, and wider line widths will be set
>     accordingly.
>
>         #(set-default-paper-size "a6" 'landscape)
>
>     Swapping the paper dimensions without having the print rotated (like
>     when printing to postcard size, or creating graphics for inclusion
>     rather than a standalone document) can be achieved by appending
>     ‘landscape’ to the name of the paper size itself:
>
>         #(set-default-paper-size "a6landscape")
>
>     When the paper size ends with an explicit ‘landscape’ or ‘portrait’,
>     the presence of a 'landscape symbol only affects print orientation,
>     not the paper dimensions used for layout.
>
> I'll readily admit that it's not mentioned in the "Changes" section.

Re: landscape orientation differences between versions

David Kastrup
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for the hint; works as expected.
>
> The second part you pasted from the documentation containing the crucial
> part "a6landscape" is missing in the german version of
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/paper-size-and-automatic-scaling.
> And my default browser settings are german :-/

The German translation is missing translators.  It is trailing by
several years by now.  If your Swiss Email address can insinuate better
fluency with French or Italian: those translations are actively
maintained currently.

Re: landscape orientation differences between versions

Stephan Schöll
Thanks for your encouragement to use 2.19. Having this answer I'm ready
to go for it :-)

Am 04.05.2019 um 16:30 schrieb Urs Liska:

> [...]
> compile it with 2.18.2 it will produce an error message).
>
> 2)
> What you see is an intended change that happened during the 2.19
> development cycle to remove an inconsistency in the input language.
>
> [but I see others have already answered that ...]
>
> However, for your use case it seems you'll have to decide whether to use
> the 2.18 or the 2.19 version (and learn about the convert-ly tool to
> update existing input files.
> Generally you should really go directly for 2.19. Labelling it
> "development version" is really an understatement, and the improvements
> have really been significant.
>
> HTH
> Urs
>

>> Thanks in Advance
>> Steff

Re: landscape orientation differences between versions

Thanks, I'm perfectly fine with the english documentation. I just have
to tune the language preferences of one of my browsers.

Regards
Stephan

Am 04.05.2019 um 17:14 schrieb David Kastrup:

> "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Thanks for the hint; works as expected.
>>
>> The second part you pasted from the documentation containing the crucial
>> part "a6landscape" is missing in the german version of
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/paper-size-and-automatic-scaling.
>> And my default browser settings are german :-/
>
> The German translation is missing translators.  It is trailing by
> several years by now.  If your Swiss Email address can insinuate better
> fluency with French or Italian: those translations are actively
> maintained currently.

Re: landscape orientation differences between versions

Carl Sorensen-3

On 5/4/19, 2:51 PM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Thanks, I'm perfectly fine with the english documentation. I just have
    to tune the language preferences of one of my browsers.

If you'd be willing to help us by translating the german documentation, that would be a great help!

Thanks,

Carl

Re: landscape orientation differences between versions

Stephan Schöll
Let me first read through
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/documentation-work
just for me to imagine what this might mean for me. I'll come back to
you afterwards.

Regards
Stephan