jedit jaundice

J.-8
                                                                                                                                                                        B.H.
I iherited a linux computer full of lilypond files and I was told that I have to set up3 editors here [jedit emacs vim].
I heard that the lilypond tool for jed. is fantastible every one on the site says so. But no place on the plugin manager has it.
Maybe I got senile and I don't see it or some thing?I'm atotal newbi and need hand holding, :(
Also can't set up emacs or vim either.
First jedit.
                    Help.

                                Jonnie

Re: jedit jaundice

Stephen Corey-2
J. wrote:

>                         B.H.
> I iherited a linux computer full of lilypond files and I was told that I
> have to set up3 editors here [jedit emacs vim].
> I heard that the lilypond tool for jed. is fantastible every one on the
> site says so. But no place on the plugin manager has it.
> Maybe I got senile and I don't see it or some thing?I'm atotal newbi and
> need hand holding, :(
> Also can't set up emacs or vim either.
> First jedit.
>                     Help.
>
>                                 Jonnie

Hi Jonnie,

In order for people to be able to help you more, please provide the
flavor or distro of Linux you are using.  It would also help to know the
version of Lilypond installed on the computer.  You can find this out by
opening a terminal and typing "lilypond --version" without the quotes.

The lilypondtool for jEdit does work nicely but needs to be configured
properly in order to run.  How it is configured will depend partly on
how Lilypond was installed on your system.

Re: jedit jaundice

joe ferguson
I am also trying to run jedit since readinf the recent post.  But I get
stuck right off the bat when java startup doesn't like the Xms command
line parameter -- no value seems to do it.

opensuse linux 11.1(64 bit), jrt 1.6. KDE4

Stephen Corey wrote:

> J. wrote:
>>

>>                         B.H.
>> I iherited a linux computer full of lilypond files and I was told
>> that I have to set up3 editors here [jedit emacs vim].
>> I heard that the lilypond tool for jed. is fantastible every one on
>> the site says so. But no place on the plugin manager has it.
>> Maybe I got senile and I don't see it or some thing?I'm atotal newbi
>> and need hand holding, :(
>> Also can't set up emacs or vim either.
>> First jedit.
>>                     Help.
>>
>>                                 Jonnie

> Hi Jonnie,
>
> In order for people to be able to help you more, please provide the
> flavor or distro of Linux you are using.  It would also help to know
> the version of Lilypond installed on the computer.  You can find this
> out by opening a terminal and typing "lilypond --version" without the
> quotes.
>
> The lilypondtool for jEdit does work nicely but needs to be configured
> properly in order to run.  How it is configured will depend partly on
> how Lilypond was installed on your system.

Re: jedit jaundice

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
jEdit 4.3pre17 is needed with the Sun JDK.
What do you mean by "doesn't like"? It displays a "oh, I don't like that parameter, that's so smelly" message?

Bert

Stephen Corey wrote:

[...]

The console says:

 jedit -Xms2m -Xma8M
Invalid initial heap size: -XmsM

for many values of Xms, Xmx

joe

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:

> jEdit 4.3pre17 is needed with the Sun JDK.
> What do you mean by "doesn't like"? It displays a "oh, I don't like
> that parameter, that's so smelly" message?
>
> Bert
>
> joe ferguson wrote:
>> I am also trying to run jedit since readinf the recent post.  But I get
>> stuck right off the bat when java startup doesn't like the Xms command
>> line parameter -- no value seems to do it.
>>
>> opensuse linux 11.1(64 bit), jrt 1.6. KDE4
>>
>> Stephen Corey wrote:

>>> Hi Jonnie,
>>>
>>> In order for people to be able to help you more, please provide the
>>> flavor or distro of Linux you are using.  It would also help to know
>>> the version of Lilypond installed on the computer.  You can find this
>>> out by opening a terminal and typing "lilypond --version" without the
>>> quotes.
>>>
>>> The lilypondtool for jEdit does work nicely but needs to be configured
>>> properly in order to run.  How it is configured will depend partly on
>>> how Lilypond was installed on your system.

Re: jedit jaundice

Chris Angelico
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM, joe ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The console says:
>
>  jedit -Xms2m -Xma8M
> Invalid initial heap size: -XmsM

I notice you have a case difference there. What happens if you use
either both lowercase or both uppercase trailing M's? Or, what if you
leave them off completely:

jedit -Xms2 -Xma8

What's that do?

ChrisA

Re: jedit jaundice

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
What does the jedit script contain?

Re: jedit jaundice

Francisco Vila
2009/11/6 Chris Angelico <[hidden email]>:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM, joe ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The console says:
>>
>>  jedit -Xms2m -Xma8M
>> Invalid initial heap size: -XmsM

This means that  JAVA_HEAP_INIT_SIZE is empty. I had this problem and
solved it by writing

JAVA_HEAP_INIT_SIZE=64

at the top of /usr/local/bin/jedit

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org

2009/11/6 Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) <[hidden email]>:
> Well, it's already been fixed in jEdit SVN.

Great! Thank you
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org
www.csmbadajoz.com

Re: jedit jaundice

joe ferguson
It already says
JAVA_HEAP_MAX_SIZE=192
So the problem must be elsewhere.

Joe

Francisco Vila wrote:

> 2009/11/6 Chris Angelico <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM, joe ferguson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The console says:
>>>
>>>  jedit -Xms2m -Xma8M
>>> Invalid initial heap size: -XmsM
>>>

> This means that  JAVA_HEAP_INIT_SIZE is empty. I had this problem and
> solved it by writing
>
> JAVA_HEAP_INIT_SIZE=64
>
> at the top of /usr/local/bin/jedit

Re: jedit jaundice

Tapio Tuovila
joe ferguson kirjoitti:
> It already says
> JAVA_HEAP_MAX_SIZE=192
> So the problem must be elsewhere.
>
> Joe

Hi, I had the same problem when trying to start jedit: "Invalid initial
heap size: -XmsM"
and for me it was indeed solved when I added

JAVA_HEAP_INIT_SIZE=64  at the top of jedit script

above this: JAVA_HEAP_MAX_SIZE=192 which was already there.

-my best, Tapio

Re: jedit jaundice

joe ferguson
OK, that worked; THANKS.
I also had to delete the command line '-Xm??*' arguments.

Joe