italian list or forum

Federico Bruni-2
This is a message for the italian users subscribed to this mailing list.
Some years ago I asked if anybody were interested in creating an
italian mailing list. We were just three :-( so I gave up:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-12/msg00653.html

As I'm seeing more and more italians here (and also on Frescobaldi
mailing list), I think it's the moment to create a new italian
"community place".
Please let me know if you are interested.

What would you suggest to use?
Some options:

1. Mailing list on gnu.org (as this one)
Pro: supported by GNU project. We are confident the archive of messages
will remain.
Con: no web interface; "old-fashioned" archive with poor usability.

2. Google group
Pro: can be used as a normal mailing list as well as a forum on the
browser.
Con: Google might dismiss it one day; I'm not fond of being logged in
with a google account with my browser, so I would use it as a mailing
list.

Other options?

I'm for 1.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ciao
Federico

Re: italian list or forum

Francesco Napoleoni-2
Hi Federico

In data giovedì 21 maggio 2020 11:37:34 CEST, Federico Bruni ha scritto:
> This is a message for the italian users subscribed to this mailing list.
> Some years ago I asked if anybody were interested in creating an
> italian mailing list.
> [...]
> Please let me know if you are interested.

Yes, I am!! :-)

> What would you suggest to use?
> Some options:
>
> 1. Mailing list on gnu.org (as this one)
> [...]
> I'm for 1.

Me too. The less Google (and other pervasive monsters) creeps into my life,
the better I feel. ;-)

That said, I just have no idea on how to create this list, but I also see many
Italians interested in Lilypond and I think it would be great if we could get
together.

ciao
Francesco Napoleoni

Re: italian list or forum

Luca Rossetto Casel-2
Dear Federico and all,

     I'm interested to partecipate too! On choosing between a mailing
list or a Google group, I have no particular preferences.

Thnak you!

     Luca

Il 21/05/20 11:37, Federico Bruni ha scritto:

> This is a message for the italian users subscribed to this mailing list.
> Some years ago I asked if anybody were interested in creating an
> italian mailing list. We were just three :-( so I gave up:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-12/msg00653.html
>
> As I'm seeing more and more italians here (and also on Frescobaldi
> mailing list), I think it's the moment to create a new italian
> "community place".
> Please let me know if you are interested.
>
> What would you suggest to use?
> Some options:
>
> 1. Mailing list on gnu.org (as this one)
> Pro: supported by GNU project. We are confident the archive of
> messages will remain.
> Con: no web interface; "old-fashioned" archive with poor usability.
>
> 2. Google group
> Pro: can be used as a normal mailing list as well as a forum on the
> browser.
> Con: Google might dismiss it one day; I'm not fond of being logged in
> with a google account with my browser, so I would use it as a mailing
> list.
>
> Other options?
>
> I'm for 1.
>
> Let me know your thoughts.
>
> Ciao
> Federico

Re: italian list or forum

Davide Liessi-2
Il giorno gio 21 mag 2020 alle ore 11:42 Federico Bruni
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> I think it's the moment to create a new italian
> "community place".
> Please let me know if you are interested.

I'm interested and I believe it would attract many users.

> What would you suggest to use?

I would prefer

> 1. Mailing list on gnu.org (as this one)

Best wishes.
Davide

Re: italian list or forum

Karlin High
On 5/21/2020 4:37 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
> 2. Google group

> Con: Google might dismiss it one day;

I administer a small (~100 member) Google Group list for others in my
occupation. It works OK for what it is, although it can get badly
confused when someone wants to join with a non-Google email that's had a
Google account created for it.

Google tried to kill off the Groups product at the introduction of their
Google+ social network. But somehow, Groups has outlived its intended
successor. Just don't expect any improvements to Groups unless it's by
accident.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: italian list or forum

Gianmaria Lari
Ciao Federico,

[...] As I'm seeing more and more italians here (and also on Frescobaldi
mailing list), I think it's the moment to create a new italian
"community place".
Please let me know if you are interested.

Interested.
No preference regarding Mailing list on gnu.org or google groups.

Ciao, g.

Re: italian list or forum

Mario Bolognani-2
Good idea, I am interested.

Mario Bolognani
[hidden email]
www.baroquemusic.it

Il giorno 22 mag 2020, alle ore 13:54, Gianmaria Lari <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Ciao Federico,

[...] As I'm seeing more and more italians here (and also on Frescobaldi
mailing list), I think it's the moment to create a new italian
"community place".
Please let me know if you are interested.

Interested.
No preference regarding Mailing list on gnu.org or google groups.

Ciao, g.

Re: italian list or forum

Valentin Villenave-3
On 5/21/20, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What would you suggest to use?

Hey Federico,
in case you end up opening a GNU mailing list, may I offer you some of
my CSS overrides?

Before:
After:

I’ll let you judge which one looks more welcoming :-)

Cheers!
-- V.

Re: italian list or forum

Mario Bolognani-2
The french format looks more attractive.

Best,

Mario

Mario Bolognani
[hidden email]
www.baroquemusic.it

Il giorno 22 mag 2020, alle ore 20:48, Valentin Villenave <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

On 5/21/20, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
What would you suggest to use?

Hey Federico,
in case you end up opening a GNU mailing list, may I offer you some of
my CSS overrides?

Before:
After:

I’ll let you judge which one looks more welcoming :-)

Cheers!
-- V.

Re: italian list or forum

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno ven 22 mag 2020 alle 20:48, Valentin Villenave
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hey Federico,
> in case you end up opening a GNU mailing list, may I offer you some of
> my CSS overrides?

Thanks, I will!

Do you know how can I ask GNU to create a new mailing list?

Re: italian list or forum

Valentin Villenave-3
On 5/22/20, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you know how can I ask GNU to create a new mailing list?

LilyPond has currently four admins listed on Savannah:
https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/lilypond/
Han-Wen or David might be your best bet these days.

You can refer to this thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-12/msg00678.html

My advice would be to name your list lilypond-it like Paco did for the
Spanish-speaking list, rather than lilypond-user-fr which we’ve been
stuck with since forever. (I’m cc-ing him; maybe he’ll have more
insights for you.)

When your list gets created, of course you’ll need to update
Documentation/web/community.itexi, add an announcement to
web/news-new.itexi and a link to web/news-headlines.itexi so that it
appears on the front page.

In case you want to customize your mailing list’s HTML pages like I
did, here’s the templates I’ve made up (look at the source code):
http://valentin.villenave.net/upload/files/subscribe.html
http://valentin.villenave.net/upload/files/options.html
You can edit the templates for your list at
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/edithtml/lilypond-it (or whatever your
list’s name will be).

You may also want to edit some of the translated strings in the admin
interface; I found that many of these were a bit confusing; again you
can compare
with
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user-fr

Of course, you can also create a "forum" at Nabble afterwards, and add
the link to community.itexi (we have many, many inexperienced users
who use that for some reason; I never quite understood why).  In that
case, try to explain clearly to your new Nabble subscribers that they
actually need *two* subscriptions: one at Nabble, and one to the
actual mailing list.

Good luck!

Cheers,
-- V.

Re: italian list or forum

Han-Wen Nienhuys-3
Done.

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 1:22 PM Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Il giorno sab 23 mag 2020 alle 09:39, Valentin Villenave
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> > On 5/22/20, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>  Do you know how can I ask GNU to create a new mailing list?
> >
> > LilyPond has currently four admins listed on Savannah:
> > https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/lilypond/
> > Han-Wen or David might be your best bet these days.
>
> Hi Han-Wen
>
> Could you create a lilypond-it mailing list on gnu.org?

Re: italian list or forum

Federico Bruni-2
On Sat, 23 May, 2020 at 09:39, Valentin Villenave
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> My advice would be to name your list lilypond-it

Here is it:

Next week I'll send a patch to update the website.

Re: italian list or forum

Valentin Villenave-3
On 5/29/20, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Next week I'll send a patch to update the website.

Great!  This should also appear in news-headlines, methinks.

Looking forward to seeing your patch!

Cheers,
-- V.

Re: italian list or forum

Federico Bruni-2

On Fri, 29 May, 2020 at 23:42, Valentin Villenave
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 5/29/20, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Next week I'll send a patch to update the website.
>
> Great!  This should also appear in news-headlines, methinks.
>
> Looking forward to seeing your patch!

The patch has been merged, but I forgot to announce it in this thread.
If you haven't already, you can subscribe here: