invoking lily from python

andrea valle
Dear all,

I'm calling lily from inside IDLE of Python, using module os with
function os.system. I post this as I know Python is largely used among
lilyponders.
The same command line (/sw/bin/lilypond /Users/apple/Desktop/test.ly)
from shell and from os.system gives two different results.

 From shell it works perfectly (obviously).
(apples-Computer:~ apple$ /sw/bin/lilypond /Users/apple/Desktop/test.ly)

 From os.system I have as output only the file test.tex, which is ok,
but there are no other files. os.system ends with 0, which means all
was ok.

 >>> cmd="/sw/bin/lilypond /Users/apple/Desktop/test.ly"
 >>> os.system(cmd)
0

Should I call explicitly the "convert" part to which lily refers
printing on screen the following lines in command line mode?

Converting to `test.dvi'...
Converting to `test.ps'...
Converting to `test.pdf'...

It seems to me that this part is skipped when invoking from IDLE.

Any hints?

Thanks a lot
-a-

Re: invoking lily from python

andrea valle-2
(It simply depended on invoking from IDLE. Some strange behaviours.
Everything solved  using python form command line. Thanks)
-a-

On 5 Jun 2005, at 11:42, andrea valle wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm calling lily from inside IDLE of Python, using module os with
> function os.system. I post this as I know Python is largely used among
> lilyponders.
> The same command line (/sw/bin/lilypond /Users/apple/Desktop/test.ly)
> from shell and from os.system gives two different results.
>
> From shell it works perfectly (obviously).
> (apples-Computer:~ apple$ /sw/bin/lilypond
> /Users/apple/Desktop/test.ly)
>

> From os.system I have as output only the file test.tex, which is ok,
> but there are no other files. os.system ends with 0, which means all
> was ok.

> 0
>
> Should I call explicitly the "convert" part to which lily refers
> printing on screen the following lines in command line mode?
>
> Converting to `test.dvi'...
> Converting to `test.ps'...
> Converting to `test.pdf'...
>
> It seems to me that this part is skipped when invoking from IDLE.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks a lot
> -a-

Andrea Valle