internationalized snippets

Han-Wen Nienhuys-3
Jean (or should I say Jean Abou?) found the following gem:

 https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond/blob/a2f89036bc6ed0147385ef04d1201cad3ad10fa7/python/book_snippets.py#L368

I think the problem was introduced in

  https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commit/d4a36739fbf2b85e3a6c85fdf76b482b8c07b656

from May 2010.  This means that the support for internationalized
snippets through gettext on variables and comments hasn't worked in
over 10 years (and nobody noticed?). To me this seems like a strong
signal that we should get rid of this feature.

thoughts?

Re: internationalized snippets

Jean-Charles Malahieude-2
Le 13/09/2020 à 12:30, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :

> Jean (or should I say Jean Abou?) found the following gem:
>
>   https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond/blob/a2f89036bc6ed0147385ef04d1201cad3ad10fa7/python/book_snippets.py#L368
>
> I think the problem was introduced in
>
>    https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commit/d4a36739fbf2b85e3a6c85fdf76b482b8c07b656
>
> from May 2010.  This means that the support for internationalized
> snippets through gettext on variables and comments hasn't worked in
> over 10 years (and nobody noticed?). To me this seems like a strong
> signal that we should get rid of this feature.
>
> thoughts?

I think most translators noticed this when it appeared, but without
anybody tackling it. And it used to work fine and was valuable for
non-native English speaker.

The advantages were:

– variables and comments appeared translated, eventually combined to the
title (doctitleLL) and explanation (texidocLL). I consider it
unfortunate when explanations are given through comments within the code.

– lesser use of @KEEPLY before @lilypond – CG 5.9.2 states:
"Please keep verbatim copies of music snippets (in @lilypond blocs).
However, some music snippets containing text that shows in the rendered
music, and sometimes translating this text really helps the user to
understand the documentation; in this case, and only in this case, you
may as an exception translate text in the music snippet, and then you
must add a line immediately before the @lilypond block, starting with

     @c KEEP LY

Otherwise the music snippet would be reset to the same content as the
English version at next make snippet-update run."

Re: internationalized snippets

Jean ABOU SAMRA
Le 13/09/2020 à 12:30, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :

> Jean (or should I say Jean Abou?)

It's Jean. Don't worry, you're not the only one wondering.
I'm thinking of starting to hyphenate my name (Abou-Samra)
to make it clearer.

By the way, I also have a question: Jan and Janneke are the
same person, right? And Janek is a different one?

> found the following gem:

To give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, Jonas found
it while reviewing an MR of mine.

Jean

Re: internationalized snippets

Francisco Vila
El 13/9/20 a las 12:30, Han-Wen Nienhuys escribió:
> from May 2010.  This means that the support for internationalized
> snippets through gettext on variables and comments hasn't worked in
> over 10 years (and nobody noticed?).

I did and vaguely recall highlighting it.

 > To me this seems like a strong
 > signal that we should get rid of this feature.

A pity then.

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
Tutoriales de LilyPond y Frescobaldi
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXMqW0liQ5oNFWgbHwgRdAQhaGm6pSn0Y

El 15/9/20 a las 9:35, Francisco Vila escribió:
> A pity then.

To be clear: getting rid of this because it is broken would be more or
less equivalent to getting rid of several translations because they are
broken, or all of them while you are on it, because translation is a
process on top of docs which in turn are also a process.