interlocking/overlapping HorizontalBracket

interlocking/overlapping HorizontalBracket

Kieren MacMillan
Hi all,

I’d like to use spanner-id (or similar) to interlock/overlap HorizontalBracket spanners.
Is this possible?

Thanks,
Kieren.

%%%  MWE BEGINS
\version "2.19.80"
\layout { \context { \Voice \consists "Horizontal_bracket_engraver" } }
\fixed c'' { c1\=1\startGroup c\=2\startGroup c\=1\stopGroup c\=2\stopGroup }
%%%  MWE BEGINS

Re: interlocking/overlapping HorizontalBracket

Thomas Morley-2
Am So., 28. Okt. 2018 um 00:04 Uhr schrieb Kieren MacMillan
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I’d like to use spanner-id (or similar) to interlock/overlap HorizontalBracket spanners.
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.
>
> %%%  MWE BEGINS
> \version "2.19.80"
> \layout { \context { \Voice \consists "Horizontal_bracket_engraver" } }
> \fixed c'' { c1\=1\startGroup c\=2\startGroup c\=1\stopGroup c\=2\stopGroup }
> %%%  MWE BEGINS

Hi Kieren,

your example works here out of the box and without any problem.
So I don't understand the problem.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: interlocking/overlapping HorizontalBracket

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Harm,

> your example works here out of the box and without any problem.
> So I don't understand the problem.

They’re nested, not interlocking/overlapping (as I want them to be).
Even though I set the ids to be "interlocking": 1start, 2start, 1end, 2end.

Cheers,
K.

Re: interlocking/overlapping HorizontalBracket

Thomas Morley-2
Am So., 28. Okt. 2018 um 00:28 Uhr schrieb Kieren MacMillan
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi Harm,
>
> > your example works here out of the box and without any problem.
> > So I don't understand the problem.
>
> They’re nested, not interlocking/overlapping (as I want them to be).
> Even though I set the ids to be "interlocking": 1start, 2start, 1end, 2end.
>
> Cheers,
> K.

Ah, I overlooked that.

I don't think looking at spanner-id is implemented for HorizontalBracket.

Ofcourse you could use a second Voice.
Or use a second Voice like below, although very cumbersome.

\version "2.19.80"
\layout { \context { \Voice \consists "Horizontal_bracket_engraver" } }
\new Staff
<<
    %% Initiate Voices and keep them alive
    \new Voice = "1"
      s1*4
    \new Voice = "2"
      \with { \override HorizontalBracket.staff-padding = 3 }
      s1*4
    %% Distribute HorizontalBrackets to the different voices
    \context Voice = "1"
    \fixed c'' {
      c1\startGroup
      \context Voice = "2" { d\startGroup }
      e\stopGroup
      \context Voice = "2" { f\stopGroup }
    }

I'd love someone would demonstrate a better way.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: interlocking/overlapping HorizontalBracket

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Harm,

> I don't think looking at spanner-id is implemented for HorizontalBracket.

=(

> Ofcourse you could use a second Voice.
> Or use a second Voice like below, although very cumbersome.

I wonder what [minimum set of] engravers would a context need in order to just engrave HorizontalBrackets? I could see a stack of skip-delimited AnalysisBracket contexts (like Dynamics) doing what I need… though it may be just as easy to do individual voices in the main Staff context.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Re: interlocking/overlapping HorizontalBracket

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Harm,

> Of course you could use a second Voice.
> Or use a second Voice like below, although very cumbersome.
> […]
> I'd love someone would demonstrate a better way.

I just tried it. Unfortunately, it becomes unmanageably cumbersome (effectively impossible) once the main voice has anything else (e.g., lyrics) attached to it — as my real-world scenario does.

I think I’m going to go with a custom context, and see if I can make the code as sugar-y and simple as possible to input.

Thanks,
Kieren.

p.s. I would still love for spanner-id to be implemented for HorizontalBracket — that (I think we would all agree) is "the better way".