hi-res kievan notation images

Monk Panteleimon
I meant to upload some images of kievan notation today, but our electricity
went out for most of the day. Before that happened, I was discovering that
our internet connection is not good enough to upload whole pages of Russian
chant books in 1200 dpi.
Would it be better to sent smaller snippets of the books at that resolution,
or should I try a lower res? If 1200 is necessary, I think can mine out
individual passages that show all the glyphs & variations of usage, etc.
Thanks again.

Fr. P

Re: hi-res kievan notation images

Johannes Schindelin
Hi,

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Monk Panteleimon wrote:

> I was discovering that our internet connection is not good enough to
> upload whole pages of Russian chant books in 1200 dpi.

Could you recompress as bilevel, or at least as a G4 TIFF?

If you have ImageMagick, I imagine that something like

        convert -colors 16 -quality 60 my-orig.tiff compressed.png

should bring the file size down nicely, without distorting the image.

Hth,
Dscho

Re: hi-res kievan notation images

Han-Wen Nienhuys-2
Johannes Schindelin escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Monk Panteleimon wrote:
>
>> I was discovering that our internet connection is not good enough to
>> upload whole pages of Russian chant books in 1200 dpi.
>
> Could you recompress as bilevel, or at least as a G4 TIFF?
>
> If you have ImageMagick, I imagine that something like
>
> convert -colors 16 -quality 60 my-orig.tiff compressed.png
>
> should bring the file size down nicely, without distorting the image.

for scans (which are noisy anyway), it's best to use JPEG.

It could be useful to scan the page at 150dpi and make 1200dpi of just
small cutouts of the glyphs.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com