help with 2.4.5 in Debian

Sterling MacNay
Hi,

I tried to install 2.4.6 in Debian using Ferenc Wagner's sources from
http://tac.ki.iif.hu/.  After having the default ec-fonts-mftraced crash
and downloading the nerwer version (.deb), I got an install.  However,
all attempts to run lilypond on the simplest file resulted in a
segmentation fault.  I tried using the smallest example from the
tutorial and compiling but got crashes.  So I reverted back to version
2.2.6-3 in the Debian Sarge repository and at least it works.  Is this a
common problem with Debian folks?

Also, I am trying to typeset a score choir.  The choir will be split
into 2, then 3, then back to 2 sections.  There are no sung notes, only
rhythmic clapping and stomping.  Some sort of drum mode would be ideal
for scoring but how do I use a mode like that in a piece with 2-3
stanzas?

I am using version 2.2.6-3 right now.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sterling MacNay

Re: help with 2.4.5 in Debian

D Josiah Boothby
I have not used Ferenc's packages, but have been using the 2.4.5 that is
in Debian Sid (I'm a little mystified as to why it didn't make it into the
Sarge release) without problems.

Correction: the only problem that I had was that when I originally tried
the Sid packages, the ec-fonts-mftraced was problematic. Maybe it is fixed
now, but you can download a .deb from the lilypond website:

http://lilypond.org/download/fonts/

Josiah

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Sterling Sympatico wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install 2.4.6 in Debian using Ferenc Wagner's sources from
> http://tac.ki.iif.hu/.  After having the default ec-fonts-mftraced crash
> and downloading the nerwer version (.deb), I got an install.  However,
> all attempts to run lilypond on the simplest file resulted in a
> segmentation fault.  I tried using the smallest example from the
> tutorial and compiling but got crashes.  So I reverted back to version
> 2.2.6-3 in the Debian Sarge repository and at least it works.  Is this a
> common problem with Debian folks?
>
> Also, I am trying to typeset a score choir.  The choir will be split
> into 2, then 3, then back to 2 sections.  There are no sung notes, only
> rhythmic clapping and stomping.  Some sort of drum mode would be ideal
> for scoring but how do I use a mode like that in a piece with 2-3
> stanzas?
>
> I am using version 2.2.6-3 right now.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Sterling MacNay

Re: help with 2.4.5 in Debian

Ferenc Wagner
Sterling Sympatico <[hidden email]> writes:

> I tried to install 2.4.6 in Debian using Ferenc Wagner's
> sources from http://tac.ki.iif.hu/.

Those packages are Woody only, unfortunately.  There is some
incompatibility in the kpathsea interface that I couldn't help.

> After having the default ec-fonts-mftraced crash and
> downloading the nerwer version (.deb), I got an install.

You may want to check that your /etc/texmf/dvips/updmap was
not corrupted in the process.  The Woody installer has to
fiddle with that file, while under Sarge it needn't mention
ec-mftrace.map.

> However, all attempts to run lilypond on the simplest file
> resulted in a segmentation fault.

That's expected.
--
                                                Feri.

Re: help with 2.4.5 in Debian

Mats Bengtsson-6

Ferenc Wagner wrote:

> Sterling Sympatico <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>>I tried to install 2.4.6 in Debian using Ferenc Wagner's
>>sources from http://tac.ki.iif.hu/.
>

> Those packages are Woody only, unfortunately.  There is some
> incompatibility in the kpathsea interface that I couldn't help.
>

>>After having the default ec-fonts-mftraced crash and
>>downloading the nerwer version (.deb), I got an install.
>

> You may want to check that your /etc/texmf/dvips/updmap was
> not corrupted in the process.  The Woody installer has to
> fiddle with that file, while under Sarge it needn't mention
> ec-mftrace.map.

Why do you have to fiddle with updmap at all? LilyPond (vers. 2.4)
explicitly specifies the map file when calling dvips, so I
cannot see any reason why it should be necessary to include
these fonts using updmap. The only thing that matters is that
dvips can find the map files, which it will do if they are
properly placed in the texmf tree and the filename database
has been updated.

Re: help with 2.4.5 in Debian

Ferenc Wagner

:

>> Sterling Sympatico <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>>I tried to install 2.4.6 in Debian using Ferenc Wagner's
>>>sources from http://tac.ki.iif.hu/.
>> Those packages are Woody only, unfortunately.  There is some
>> incompatibility in the kpathsea interface that I couldn't help.
>>
>>> After having the default ec-fonts-mftraced crash and
>>> downloading the nerwer version (.deb), I got an install.
>>
>> You may want to check that your /etc/texmf/dvips/updmap was
>> not corrupted in the process.  The Woody installer has to
>> fiddle with that file, while under Sarge it needn't mention
>> ec-mftrace.map.
>
> Why do you have to fiddle with updmap at all? LilyPond (vers. 2.4)
> explicitly specifies the map file when calling dvips, so I
> cannot see any reason why it should be necessary to include
> these fonts using updmap. The only thing that matters is that
> dvips can find the map files, which it will do if they are
> properly placed in the texmf tree and the filename database
> has been updated.

This means I needn't fiddle with updmap after all.  Phew.
But since Debian released a couple of days ago, I probably
won't change the package unless serious need arises.  Sarge
has better mechanisms for the same purpose anyway.
Feri.