getting fc-list to see gsfonts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

getting fc-list to see gsfonts

Mark Polesky
So, after Julien's patch

  https://codereview.appspot.com/13390043

I finally get a proper error at the configure stage:

  ERROR: Please install required programs:  International
  New Century Schoolbook fonts (make sure the fc-list
  utility can see them, or use --with-ncsb-dir)

  See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build
  LilyPond

After a lot of searching, I realized that all I needed was

  ../configure --with-ncsb-dir=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/

and now my fonts work (finally!).

But now I'm curious, how do I get fc-list to "see" the fonts
in the gsfonts directory?

Thanks.
- Mark


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: getting fc-list to see gsfonts

Julien Rioux
On 11/09/2013 3:28 AM, Mark Polesky wrote:

> So, after Julien's patch
>
>    https://codereview.appspot.com/13390043
>
> I finally get a proper error at the configure stage:
>
>    ERROR: Please install required programs:  International
>    New Century Schoolbook fonts (make sure the fc-list
>    utility can see them, or use --with-ncsb-dir)
>
>    See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build
>    LilyPond
>

Great. This patch is going in so everyone will benefit.

> After a lot of searching, I realized that all I needed was
>
>    ../configure --with-ncsb-dir=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/
>
> and now my fonts work (finally!).
>
> But now I'm curious, how do I get fc-list to "see" the fonts
> in the gsfonts directory?
>

Looks like you have to run fc-cache to update the database. Something like:
sudo fc-cache -fsv

Cheers,
Julien


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: getting fc-list to see gsfonts

David Kastrup
In reply to this post by Mark Polesky

Mark Polesky <[hidden email]> writes:

> So, after Julien's patch
>
>   https://codereview.appspot.com/13390043

Have you applied it manually?  Because it is not in master yet.

> I finally get a proper error at the configure stage:
>
>   ERROR: Please install required programs:  International
>   New Century Schoolbook fonts (make sure the fc-list
>   utility can see them, or use --with-ncsb-dir)
>
>   See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build
>   LilyPond
>
> After a lot of searching, I realized that all I needed was
>
>   ../configure --with-ncsb-dir=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/
>
> and now my fonts work (finally!).
>
> But now I'm curious, how do I get fc-list to "see" the fonts
> in the gsfonts directory?

Oh, it sees them alright.  The problem is just that it sees other fonts
first.

As soon as Julien pushes
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3526> which has
been on Patch-push state for over two days now, you should be fine.  No
idea what the holdup is.  Julien?

--
David Kastrup

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: getting fc-list to see gsfonts

Mark Polesky
Julien Rioux wrote:
>> But now I'm curious, how do I get fc-list to "see" the
>> fonts in the gsfonts directory?
>
> Looks like you have to run fc-cache to update the
> database. Something like: sudo fc-cache -fsv

Julien and David,

I'll start by reiterating that my build now works fine, as
long as I do:

  ../configure --with-ncsb-dir=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/

So, I have a successful workaround.  And yes David, I
manually applied Julien's patch before he pushed it.  Now
I'm simply curious to see how I can get fc-list to see the
fonts.  Julien, I tried both of these:

  sudo fc-cache -fsv
  sudo fc-cache -fsv /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/

With both commands, I get output that contains this:

  /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts: caching, new cache
  contents: 35 fonts, 0 dirs
  /var/cache/fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
  fc-cache: succeeded

And yet

  fc-list | grep entury

returns nothing, even after rebooting.  Also, running
../configure *without* the --with-ncsb-dir option returns
with the error again, so it seems that fc-list really can't
find the fonts, even though they're right there.  Any ideas?

Julien, I'd like to make a suggestion.  In the error
message, I think it would be far more helpful if instead of
this

  or use --with-ncsb-dir

it said something like this

  or use `configure --with-ncsb-dir=PATH_TO_GSFONTS_DIR'

The point is that it is not at all intuitive to know that
gsfonts is the source of the New Century Schoolbook files.

Thanks.
- Mark

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: getting fc-list to see gsfonts

Julien Rioux
On 11/09/2013 2:38 PM, Mark Polesky wrote:

> Julien Rioux wrote:
>>> But now I'm curious, how do I get fc-list to "see" the
>>> fonts in the gsfonts directory?
>>
>> Looks like you have to run fc-cache to update the
>> database. Something like: sudo fc-cache -fsv
>
> Julien and David,
>
> I'll start by reiterating that my build now works fine, as
> long as I do:
>
>    ../configure --with-ncsb-dir=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/
>
> So, I have a successful workaround.  And yes David, I
> manually applied Julien's patch before he pushed it.  Now
> I'm simply curious to see how I can get fc-list to see the
> fonts.  Julien, I tried both of these:
>
>    sudo fc-cache -fsv
>    sudo fc-cache -fsv /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/
>
> With both commands, I get output that contains this:
>
>    /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts: caching, new cache
>    contents: 35 fonts, 0 dirs
>    /var/cache/fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
>    fc-cache: succeeded
>
> And yet
>
>    fc-list | grep entury
>
> returns nothing, even after rebooting.

I have the same problem (fc database not updating). I'm not sure how to
update this fc-list stuff, but it seemed to me that fc-cache is the
command we want to use for it, though, it doesn't seem to work here either.

> Julien, I'd like to make a suggestion.  In the error
> message, I think it would be far more helpful if instead of
> this
>
>    or use --with-ncsb-dir
>
> it said something like this
>
>    or use `configure --with-ncsb-dir=PATH_TO_GSFONTS_DIR'
>
> The point is that it is not at all intuitive to know that
> gsfonts is the source of the New Century Schoolbook files.
>

Well, it's not clear that gsfonts is the correct directory for everyone.

Cheers,
Julien


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel