footnote counter

jeffery shivers
I am trying to find the following two things regarding footnotes:

1) How might I retrieve the accumulated number of footnotes either for an entire document/section, or at least for a single page?

2) In the notation doc [http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.pdf], pg. 481, the 'mark' element describes that the count is automatically reset on each page that contains a footnote. Where is that function written; and how could it be overwritten (specifically to *not* automatically reset ever, or (additionally) to only reset when explicitly instructed)?

Thanks!
Jeffery

Re: footnote counter

Mark Knoop-4
At 00:35 on 26 May 2016, Jeffery Shivers wrote:

>I am trying to find the following two things regarding footnotes:
>
>1) How might I retrieve the accumulated number of footnotes either for
>an entire document/section, or at least for a single page?
>
>2) In the notation doc [
>http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation.pdf], pg. 481, the
>'mark' element describes that the count is automatically reset on each
>page that contains a footnote. Where is that function written; and how
>could it be overwritten (specifically to *not* automatically reset
>ever, or (additionally) to only reset when explicitly instructed)?

\paper {
  reset-footnotes-on-new-page = ##f
}

will do the first. I'm afraid I can't help with the other points.

--
Mark Knoop

Re: footnote counter

Paul Morris
Hi Jeffrey,

I did a search on the source code and found: lily/footnote-engraver.cc (along with several test files) so I would look there.  I would as assume that it contains the function you're looking for.  (I've found that searching the source code is usually a good way to find things like this.)

FWIW, the way I would approach this would probably be to write a custom footnote engraver in scheme that does what you want.  In user-land you could remove LilyPond's footnote engraver and "consist" your own scheme engraver in its place.  The LSR has examples of custom scheme engravers.

That probably raises more questions than it answers, but hopefully it helps point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
-Paul