fonts not working as expected

12

fonts not working as expected

Kieren MacMillan
Hi all,

No MWE possible, because obviously it’s a local problem with my computer…

I’ve installed fonts on my computer. I’ve restarted the machine, and allowed Lilypond to recache fonts. Frescobaldi’s auto-completion mechanism recognizes (and suggests) the new fonts, and they appear as expected in Font Book, they show up when I run '-dshow-available-fonts x', etc.

So they seem to be installed properly, and recognized by the various applications involved. But

  \markup "test"

outputs as expected [using the main document font], whereas

  \markup \override #'(font-name . "New Font Name") "test"

outputs nothing.

What should I be looking for to fix this problem? How can I debug it further to see what’s wrong?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: fonts not working as expected

tisimst
Hey, Kieren!

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 2:13 PM Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

No MWE possible, because obviously it’s a local problem with my computer…

I’ve installed fonts on my computer. I’ve restarted the machine, and allowed Lilypond to recache fonts. Frescobaldi’s auto-completion mechanism recognizes (and suggests) the new fonts, and they appear as expected in Font Book, they show up when I run '-dshow-available-fonts x', etc.

So they seem to be installed properly, and recognized by the various applications involved. But

  \markup "test"

outputs as expected [using the main document font], whereas

  \markup \override #'(font-name . "New Font Name") "test"

outputs nothing.

What should I be looking for to fix this problem? How can I debug it further to see what’s wrong?

When you say “outputs nothing” do you mean nothing appears, or nothing changes from the main doc font?

Best,
Abraham

Re: fonts not working as expected

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Abraham,

> When you say “outputs nothing” do you mean nothing appears, or nothing changes from the main doc font?

It literally disappears — a blank space where there was markup before.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: fonts not working as expected

Andrew Bernard
Hi Kieran,

In a message to me you mentioned you are using Alegreya Medium. Downloading this from the original type foundry, with 2.19.82 on Ubuntu 18.10 the use of the font name "Alegreya Medium", just that, works just fine.

I'll try it on my Mac.

Andrew

Re: fonts not working as expected

Andrew Bernard
I have freshly installed Mac OS 10.13.6 HIgh Sierra. Using lilypond 2.19.80, when specifying "Alegreya Medium" as the font name, whether the font is installed system wide for for just me, the example compiles but the Alegreya reverts to the lilypond sans default. Definitely not working right. And I cleared the lilypond font cache before starting.

\version "2.19.80"
\markup "test"
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium") "test"

Andrew

Re: fonts not working as expected

tisimst
Kieren,
On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 4:28 PM Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Abraham,

> When you say “outputs nothing” do you mean nothing appears, or nothing changes from the main doc font?

It literally disappears — a blank space where there was markup before.

Sounds like a pesky bug, indeed! I'm just curious, does the generated PDF reference the correct font? What is name of the font exactly?

Best,
Abraham

Re: fonts not working as expected

Andrew Bernard
He is using Alegreya Medium.

Andrew

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 02:17, Abraham Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kieren,
On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 4:28 PM Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Abraham,

> When you say “outputs nothing” do you mean nothing appears, or nothing changes from the main doc font?

It literally disappears — a blank space where there was markup before.

Sounds like a pesky bug, indeed! I'm just curious, does the generated PDF reference the correct font? What is name of the font exactly?

Best,
Abraham

Re: fonts not working as expected

tisimst
On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 9:37 AM Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
He is using Alegreya Medium.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 02:17, Abraham Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kieren,
On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 4:28 PM Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Abraham,

> When you say “outputs nothing” do you mean nothing appears, or nothing changes from the main doc font?

It literally disappears — a blank space where there was markup before.

Sounds like a pesky bug, indeed! I'm just curious, does the generated PDF reference the correct font? What is name of the font exactly?

Very strange. I just downloaded the latest version of Alegreya from the foundry, tried your code, and it worked as expected on my Win10 machine. I looked at the font file's metadata just to see if something was amiss, but everything seems to be in proper order for maximum cross-platform compatibility. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Does the generated PDF show a reference to the font proper?

Best,
Abraham

Re: fonts not working as expected

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Abraham,

> I just downloaded the latest version of Alegreya from the foundry, tried your code, and it worked as expected on my Win10 machine.

Is that also true if you use Alegreya Black?

Update: What’s now happening is that using

    \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium")

outputs visible markup, styled in Alegreya [Regular] — the base document font — whereas using

    \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Black")

outputs nothing (i.e., blank where there should be markup). All three font names appear in Frescobaldi’s auto-complete menu and Lilypond’s “show available fonts”…

> Does the generated PDF show a reference to the font proper?

In all three situations — no override, and with each of the two overrides seen above — the PDF contains *only* a reference to

    /BaseFont/XTCUKI+Alegreya-Regular/FontDescriptor

at least in "clear text".

Ugh…
Kieren.

Re: fonts not working as expected

tisimst
Hey, Kieren!
On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 2:40 PM Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Abraham,

> I just downloaded the latest version of Alegreya from the foundry, tried your code, and it worked as expected on my Win10 machine.

Is that also true if you use Alegreya Black?

Yep. Both work for me just fine.

Update: What’s now happening is that using

    \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium")

outputs visible markup, styled in Alegreya [Regular] — the base document font — whereas using

    \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Black")

outputs nothing (i.e., blank where there should be markup). All three font names appear in Frescobaldi’s auto-complete menu and Lilypond’s “show available fonts”…

Well, that is weird. Are you 100% certain Alegreya Medium is showing up as Alegreya Regular? I had to zoom in a fair amount before I could distinguish them clearly. As for Alegreya Black, that's a complete mystery.

> Does the generated PDF show a reference to the font proper?

In all three situations — no override, and with each of the two overrides seen above — the PDF contains *only* a reference to

    /BaseFont/XTCUKI+Alegreya-Regular/FontDescriptor

at least in "clear text".

Ugh…

Ugh, indeed. I'm out of ideas on this one since you're specifying everything correctly in the input file and the font files appear to be configured correctly. Possibly an OS problem? I know the recent update to Mojave has been fraught with font changes, but if you haven't updated yet, than that's obviously not a possibility here.

Best,
Abraham

Re: fonts not working as expected

Kieren MacMillan
Hey Abraham,

Well, that is weird. Are you 100% certain Alegreya Medium is showing up as Alegreya Regular? I had to zoom in a fair amount before I could distinguish them clearly.

Here’s the word "harmony" — top is [allegedly, according to the code] Alegreya Medium, bottom is Alegreya:

To my eye, they’re identical.

As for Alegreya Black, that's a complete mystery.

=(

Possibly an OS problem? I know the recent update to Mojave has been fraught with font changes, but if you haven't updated yet, than that's obviously not a possibility here.

Haven’t updated yet.

I guess I’ll have to push this project out the door some other way…

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: fonts not working as expected

Aaron Hill
On 2018-10-29 1:40 pm, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

> Hi Abraham,
>
>> I just downloaded the latest version of Alegreya from the foundry,
>> tried your code, and it worked as expected on my Win10 machine.
>
> Is that also true if you use Alegreya Black?
>
> Update: What’s now happening is that using
>
>     \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium")
>
> outputs visible markup, styled in Alegreya [Regular] — the base
> document font — whereas using
>
>     \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Black")
>
> outputs nothing (i.e., blank where there should be markup). All three
> font names appear in Frescobaldi’s auto-complete menu and Lilypond’s
> “show available fonts”…
>
>> Does the generated PDF show a reference to the font proper?
>
> In all three situations — no override, and with each of the two
> overrides seen above — the PDF contains *only* a reference to
>
>     /BaseFont/XTCUKI+Alegreya-Regular/FontDescriptor
>
> at least in "clear text".
>
> Ugh…
Probably not what you want to hear but I also am unable to reproduce
this behavior.

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
#(define lorem "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing
elit.")
\markup #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Regular") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Black") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Italic") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Regular Italic") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium Italic") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Black Italic") #lorem
%%%%

For reference, I am running 2.19.82 Lilypond under Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS.
I downloaded version v2.007 of the fonts from the GitHub [1] and
manually copied the OTF files to /usr/share/fonts/opentype.

[1]: https://github.com/huertatipografica/Alegreya/releases

I can only recommend that you uninstall the fonts and try reinstalling
them.  ("Have you tried turning if off and on again?" -- Roy Trenneman,
IT Crowd)  Perhaps the site where you originally obtained the fonts are
distributing an older version that has a rare compatibility issue.  It
could potentially explain why those of us that have tried have not hit
the issue.

-- Aaron Hill

alegreya.cropped.png (49K) Download Attachment

Re: fonts not working as expected

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Aaron,

Probably not what you want to hear but I also am unable to reproduce this behavior.

=(

Here’s what your code produces on my machine:

Looks like at least Black Italic is correctly installed/configured? But not Black [upright] nor either of the Medium series.

I can only recommend that you uninstall the fonts and try reinstalling them.

I’ll do that and report back.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: fonts not working as expected

Kieren MacMillan
Hi all,

Actions Taken
  1.  Removed all Alegreya fonts.
  2.  Restarted computer.
  3.  Reinstalled all Alegreya fonts.
  4.  Launched Lilypond, and cached fonts.

Result:
  1.  In Font Book, all fonts display as expected.
  2.  In LibreOffice (and other text editors), all fonts display as expected.
  3.  In Lilypond, Alegreya Medium [roman and italic] still appears as Alegreya Regular, and Alegreya Black [roman] still doesn’t appear at all.

=(

I’ll keep poking around, and report back if I discover anything.

Thanks for trying!
Kieren.

Re: fonts not working as expected

Karlin High
I am not a proficient Mac user. But I recently have one available, and decided to have a go. MacOS Mojave 10.14, LilyPond 2.19.82. I followed the Aaron Hill instructions best as I knew how, downloading Alegreya font from GitHub. Resulting PDF attached. Alegreya font appears working in the Apple iWork Pages program.

Karlin High
Missouri, USA

alegreya.pdf (189K) Download Attachment

Re: fonts not working as expected [SOLVED, at least for OP]

Kieren MacMillan
Hi all!

Inspired by Karlin’s comment

> downloading Alegreya font from GitHub

I went directly to the source (<https://www.huertatipografica.com/en/fonts/alegreya-ht-pro>) and downloaded a new full set from there. (The font set I had before was from Google Fonts.)

Result: All fonts are displaying as expected, in all applications **including Lilypond**.

Conclusion: Not all "Alegreya" fonts are the same!

Karlin: If you have a chance, please do the same as I did and report back.

Thanks!
Kieren.

Re: fonts not working as expected

Andrew Bernard
It's lilypond it does not work in. Other programs are fine. You need to get the genuine guaranteed from from Huerta Tipografica ti be sure about all aspects of the font. It's free to download - very generous for such an elegant font.

Andrew

Re: fonts not working as expected [SOLVED, at least for OP]

Andrew Bernard
Hi Kieren,

Does not solve the issue for me! As said, I used the proper font from Huerta Tipografica, as said a while back.

My Mac was reinstalled pristine especially to test this for you.

I normally work on Linux. Is the Mac version of lilypond the neglected step-sister?

Andrew

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 10:35, Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all!

Inspired by Karlin’s comment

> downloading Alegreya font from GitHub

I went directly to the source (<https://www.huertatipografica.com/en/fonts/alegreya-ht-pro>) and downloaded a new full set from there. (The font set I had before was from Google Fonts.)

Result: All fonts are displaying as expected, in all applications **including Lilypond**.

Conclusion: Not all "Alegreya" fonts are the same!

Karlin: If you have a chance, please do the same as I did and report back.

Thanks!
Kieren.

Re: fonts not working as expected [SOLVED, at least for OP]

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Andrew,

> Does not solve the issue for me! As said, I used the proper font from Huerta Tipografica, as said a while back.
> My Mac was reinstalled pristine especially to test this for you.

In Font Book, do you see all of the Alegreya variants under a single "twisty"? Before (when things weren’t working correctly), Font Book had the variants listed as three or four separate items; now (with things working), they’re all contained under a single "Alegreya" item.

> Is the Mac version of lilypond the neglected step-sister?

That I can’t say…

Cheers,
Kieren.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 6:35 PM Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Karlin: If you have a chance, please do the same as I did and report back.

Glad to hear it's working for you! I'm away from the Mac for 12 hours or so. I'll see what happens when I get back to it.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

12