fonts.cache

Noeck
Hi,

is the path of the lilypond-fonts.cache-2 folder hardcoded somewhere or
can I have it in a different place?

I currently use a symlink (on Ubuntu, ext3 file system) and that seems
to work. But can I change it somewhere else?

Cheers,
Joram

Re: fonts.cache

David Wright
On Tue 22 Oct 2019 at 10:26:22 (+0200), Noeck wrote:

> is the path of the lilypond-fonts.cache-2 folder hardcoded somewhere or
> can I have it in a different place?

Technically, I think that's .lilypond-fonts.cache-2 which means, of
course, that it's a "hidden" dotfile.

> I currently use a symlink (on Ubuntu, ext3 file system) and that seems
> to work. But can I change it somewhere else?

A quick search of a locally installed version throws up this file:

$ cat ~/lilypond-2.19.83-1.linux-64/lilypond/usr/etc/fonts/local.conf

<fontconfig>
<selectfont>
 <rejectfont>
 <pattern>
 </pattern>
 </rejectfont>
</selectfont>

<cachedir>~/.lilypond-fonts.cache-2</cachedir>
</fontconfig>
$

so try changing that to whatever you want. I assume that if you then
compile a small file, a smattering of fonts might appear in the new
location, in which case you could move/copy the others over.

Or, of course, you could just delete the old ones, and the new ones
should be recreated in the normal course of events.

I don't know where the distribution-supplied version keeps its font
cache; perhaps in /var/cache/… though I don't see any feta or
emmentaler therein.

I also don't know where you prefer them to go (local ones).
My own preference would be in ~/.cache/lilypond/…,
.cache/ being where most applications seem to be moving their
cached data to, in a similar manner to their configuration
directories migrating to .config/ over time. Much tidier.

Cheers,
David.

Re: fonts.cache

Noeck
Hi David,

thanks a lot!

> Technically, I think that's .lilypond-fonts.cache-2 which means, of
> course, that it's a "hidden" dotfile.

Of course, the missing dot was just a typo.

>> I currently use a symlink (on Ubuntu, ext3 file system) and that seems
>> to work. But can I change it somewhere else?
>
> A quick search of a locally installed version throws up this file:
>
> $ cat ~/lilypond-2.19.83-1.linux-64/lilypond/usr/etc/fonts/local.conf

Thank you! I will try and change the path in this file.

> I don't know where the distribution-supplied version keeps its font
> cache; perhaps in /var/cache/… though I don't see any feta or
> emmentaler therein.

The system font cache seems to be in /var/cache/fontconfig.

> I also don't know where you prefer them to go (local ones).
> My own preference would be in ~/.cache/lilypond/…,
> .cache/ being where most applications seem to be moving their
> cached data to, in a similar manner to their configuration
> directories migrating to .config/ over time. Much tidier.

That was my intention. LilyPond is one of the few programs still using a
top-level dotfile (folder). I will try ~/.cache/lilypond/fontconfig as
new path.

Cheers
Joram