fix-docsize.sh errors in make doc

Jean ABOU SAMRA
Hi,

Towards the end of the process, `make doc` outputs warnings coming from
fix-docsize.sh. This occurs in CI too. Any ideas?

Best,
Jean

fix-docsize.sh: changes.ca.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.ca.html

fix-docsize.sh: contribuïdor-big-page.html not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.ca.html
fix-docsize.sh: contribuïdor.ca.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.ca.html
fix-docsize.sh: essay.ca.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.ca.html
fix-docsize.sh: extending.ca.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.ca.html
fix-docsize.sh: internals.ca.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.ca.html
fix-docsize.sh: music-glossary.ca.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.ca.html
fix-docsize.sh: snippets.ca.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.ca.html
fix-docsize.sh: contributor.es.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.es.html
fix-docsize.sh: internals.es.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.es.html
fix-docsize.sh: music-glossary.es.pdf not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web-big-page.es.html
fix-docsize.sh: ../changes-big-page.ca.html not accessible from
/builds/lilypond/lilypond/build/out-www/offline-root/Documentation/web/changes.ca.html
[Many more...]

Re: fix-docsize.sh errors in make doc

Michael Käppler-2
Hi Jean,

Am 12.09.2020 um 13:28 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
> Hi,
>
> Towards the end of the process, `make doc` outputs warnings coming
> from fix-docsize.sh. This occurs in CI too. Any ideas?
>
> Best,
> Jean

IIUC this is simply due to the fact that the mentioned manuals are not
translated and therefore
are missing in the doc tree. Since fix-docsize.sh cannot determine the
size of files that don't exist,
it outputs this message.

The more important issue seems to me that the missing translations cause
many broken links in the documentation.
Was this always the case?
I think these should links should either be removed or point to the
english version with an adjusted link text like
'Changes (no translation available)'

Cheers,
Michael

|I opened https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6037 to track this.|

|Jean

Re: fix-docsize.sh errors in make doc

Han-Wen Nienhuys-3
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:21 PM Michael Käppler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jean,
>
> Am 12.09.2020 um 13:28 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Towards the end of the process, `make doc` outputs warnings coming
> > from fix-docsize.sh. This occurs in CI too. Any ideas?
> >
> > Best,
> > Jean
>
> IIUC this is simply due to the fact that the mentioned manuals are not
> translated and therefore
> are missing in the doc tree. Since fix-docsize.sh cannot determine the
> size of files that don't exist,
> it outputs this message.

For the catalan language, something is off. It tries to find
contribuïdor.ca.pdf (note the i with " ).

Michael Käppler <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Jean,
>
> Am 12.09.2020 um 13:28 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Towards the end of the process, `make doc` outputs warnings coming
>> from fix-docsize.sh. This occurs in CI too. Any ideas?
>>
>> Best,
>> Jean
>
> IIUC this is simply due to the fact that the mentioned manuals are not
> translated and therefore
> are missing in the doc tree. Since fix-docsize.sh cannot determine the
> size of files that don't exist,
> it outputs this message.
>
> The more important issue seems to me that the missing translations cause
> many broken links in the documentation.

The reason fix-docsize.sh gives those warnings is to help diagnosing
those broken links.

> Was this always the case?

It came with some doc reorganisation.  The offline docs were broken for
a long time.  The online docs might or might not have worked depending
on the language settings in your browser (via Apache redirection
configuration), and it would be very hard to browse through
documentation in a language that wasn't first choice in your browser:
this frequently cast you back into some other language.

> I think these should links should either be removed or point to the
> english version with an adjusted link text like
> 'Changes (no translation available)'

The whole language selection thing is completely broken.  Only the
landing page should look at your browser language selection; afterwards
all links should stick with the selected language.

Of course the problem with that is that this should not be the case for
an English-language fallback.  Strictly speaking, those should not be
the same as the normal English-language pages but rather be per-language
copies that have all links changed to stick within the language that is
missing the page translation.

Am 14.09.2020 um 13:44 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:21 PM Michael Käppler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Jean,
>>
>> Am 12.09.2020 um 13:28 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Towards the end of the process, `make doc` outputs warnings coming
>>> from fix-docsize.sh. This occurs in CI too. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Jean
>> IIUC this is simply due to the fact that the mentioned manuals are not
>> translated and therefore
>> are missing in the doc tree. Since fix-docsize.sh cannot determine the
>> size of files that don't exist,
>> it outputs this message.
> For the catalan language, something is off. It tries to find
> contribuïdor.ca.pdf (note the i with " ).

This is the name referenced in Documentation/ca/web/community.itexi
Seems to be common catalan orthography:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_orthography

Cheers,
Michael

Re: fix-docsize.sh errors in make doc

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno lun 14 set 2020 alle 13:44, Han-Wen Nienhuys
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:21 PM Michael Käppler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Jean,
>>
>>  Am 12.09.2020 um 13:28 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  > Towards the end of the process, `make doc` outputs warnings coming
>>  > from fix-docsize.sh. This occurs in CI too. Any ideas?
>>  >
>>  > Best,
>>  > Jean
>>
>>  IIUC this is simply due to the fact that the mentioned manuals are
>> not
>>  translated and therefore
>>  are missing in the doc tree. Since fix-docsize.sh cannot determine
>> the
>>  size of files that don't exist,
>>  it outputs this message.
>
> For the catalan language, something is off. It tries to find
> contribuïdor.ca.pdf (note the i with " ).

I guess that the problem is that anchor name should not contain special
characters since URL can accept only ASCII characters.

Here's the line:
$ git grep -n contribuïdor
Documentation/ca/web/community.itexi:622:@docLinksBare{Guia del
col·laborador, contribuïdor,