fingering

Gianmaria Lari
I normally enter fingering instruction using the "note-digit" convention ( http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/inside-the-staff#fingering-instructions) like this:

\version "2.21.0"
{a4-1 b-2 c'-3 d'-4}

This way of proceeding it's in my opinion the easiest and less error prone because you see clearly the note where the fingering is applied.

But when I finished to enter the fingering, I would definitely prefer having the fingering instruction separated by the music. Something like this (NB: it does not work correctly but I hope the idea is clear):

\version "2.21.0"
myMusic = {a4 b c' d'}
myFing = {s4-1 s-2 s-3 s-4}
<<    \myMusic \myFing >>

Now the question: Does exist any Frescobaldi snippet to make this operation, that means: it takes the music with fingering and it copy the fingering and the note in two different variable (or something similar)?

The same would make sense also for dynamics.

Thank you, g.

Re: fingering

Schneidy
Hi Gianmaria,
I suppose you'll have to create/modify your own contect, say
'Fingerings, such as :

\version "2.21.0"
    myMusic = {a4 b c' d'}
    myFing = {s4-1 s-2 s-3 s-4}
    <<
      \new Staff \myMusic
       \new Dynamics \with { \consists Fingering_engraver } \myFing

See: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/changing-context-default-settings.it.html
And: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/defining-new-contexts.it.html

HTH,
Cheers,
Pierre

Le lun. 6 mai 2019 à 10:44, Gianmaria Lari <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I normally enter fingering instruction using the "note-digit" convention ( http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/inside-the-staff#fingering-instructions) like this:
>
> \version "2.21.0"
> {a4-1 b-2 c'-3 d'-4}
>

> This way of proceeding it's in my opinion the easiest and less error prone because you see clearly the note where the fingering is applied.
>
> But when I finished to enter the fingering, I would definitely prefer having the fingering instruction separated by the music. Something like this (NB: it does not work correctly but I hope the idea is clear):
>
> \version "2.21.0"
> myMusic = {a4 b c' d'}
> myFing = {s4-1 s-2 s-3 s-4}
> <<    \myMusic \myFing >>
>

> Now the question: Does exist any Frescobaldi snippet to make this operation, that means: it takes the music with fingering and it copy the fingering and the note in two different variable (or something similar)?
>
> The same would make sense also for dynamics.
>
> Thank you, g.

Re: fingering

Stephan Schöll
Despite of my newbie status on the list, let me ask back:

What's your intention with separating dynamics, the notes and the
fingerings?

If the separation is only for displaying purposes in a specific staff, I
would simply remove the corresponding engravers from the voice
      \remove "Dynamic_engraver"
      \remove "Fingering_engraver"

Just my 2 cents ;-)
Cheers, Stephan

Am 06.05.2019 um 10:41 schrieb Gianmaria Lari:

> I normally enter fingering instruction using the "note-digit" convention
> (
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/inside-the-staff#fingering-instructions)
> like this:
>
>     \version "2.21.0"
>     {a4-1 b-2 c'-3 d'-4}
>

> This way of proceeding it's in my opinion the easiest and less error
> prone because you see clearly the note where the fingering is applied.
>
> But when I finished to enter the fingering, I would definitely prefer
> having the fingering instruction separated by the music. Something like
> this (NB: it does not work correctly but I hope the idea is clear):
>
>     \version "2.21.0"
>     myMusic = {a4 b c' d'}
>     myFing = {s4-1 s-2 s-3 s-4}
>     <<    \myMusic \myFing >>
>

> Now the question: Does exist any Frescobaldi snippet to make this
> operation, that means: it takes the music with fingering and it copy the
> fingering and the note in two different variable (or something similar)?
>
> The same would make sense also for dynamics.
>
> Thank you, g.

Re: fingering

Gianmaria Lari

On Mon, 6 May 2019 at 11:16, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Gianmaria,
I suppose you'll have to create/modify your own contect, say
'Fingerings, such as :

\version "2.21.0"
    myMusic = {a4 b c' d'}
    myFing = {s4-1 s-2 s-3 s-4}
    <<
      \new Staff \myMusic
       \new Dynamics \with { \consists Fingering_engraver } \myFing

Yes Pierre, exactly. Thank you for having fixed my code!
g.

Re: fingering

Gianmaria Lari
Ciao Stephane!

On Mon, 6 May 2019 at 11:23, Stephan Schöll <[hidden email]> wrote:
Despite of my newbie status on the list, let me ask back:

What's your intention with separating dynamics, the notes and the
fingerings?

If the separation is only for displaying purposes in a specific staff, I
would simply remove the corresponding engravers from the voice
      \remove "Dynamic_engraver"
      \remove "Fingering_engraver"

No, the reason is not for displaying purpose. (For that you can also use \omit Fingering in front of a music expression).

The reason is that music and fingering are two different things. You don't always need both. And sometimes you need multiple fingering for different instruments or different "hand" etc.

Thank you Stephan!

Re: fingering

Robin Bannister-2
Gianmaria Lari wrote:

> But when I finished to enter the fingering, I would definitely prefer
> having the fingering instruction separated by the music. Something like
> this (NB: it does not work correctly but I hope the idea is clear):
>
> \version "2.21.0"
> myMusic = {a4 b c' d'}
> myFing = {s4-1 s-2 s-3 s-4}
> <<    \myMusic \myFing >>

I agree with you about being able to have a separation if you want it.

But I am not sure what does not work correctly for you.

Your example lets lilypond create the contexts automagically,
and this gives you two staves, one for \myMusic and one for \myFing.
You should limit lilypond to one staff by saying
    \new Staff << \myMusic \myFing >>

That looks better, but it is still not equivalent.
Try changing the s-2 to s_2:
the notehead and the fingering collide.
To avoid that you should also limit lilypond to one voice by saying
    \new Staff \new Voice << \myMusic \myFing >>

But the full score may need several voices. Doing it this way means that
each voice needs not only its own \myMusic but also its own \myFing.
That can get quite fiddly when the music needs changing.

If you use a Dynamics context as Pierre suggested, you will lose the
vertical aspects of lilyponds fingering: try changing s-2 to s_2 here!
To regain that partly you would need two Dynamics contexts for each
staff, one above for UP fingerings and one below for DOWN fingerings.

Cheers,
Robin

Re: fingering

Gianmaria Lari
I found some solution that I post here to get some feedback and/or other suggestions.

Here they are 4 different ways to add fingering to a musical expression:

1 Standard:
\version "2.21.0"
\fixed c' {a-1 c' f'-\finger\markup\circle 3 a'-4}

2 Different context (thanks Pierre Perol-Schneider for your help!):
  \new Dynamics \with { \consists Fingering_engraver } {s-1 s s-\finger\markup\circle 3 s-4}
  \new Staff \fixed c' {a c' f' a'}

3 Multiple voices (please correct me if my terminology is not correct!):

\version "2.21.0"
\new Voice {
  <<
    { s-1 s s-\finger\markup\circle 3 s-4}
    \fixed c'{ a c' f' a' }

}

4 addFingering
\version "2.21.0"
\include "addFingering.ly"
\addStringNumber \addFingering \fixed c'{a c' f' a'} "1xx4" "xx3x"

The engraved results are the same except for example 2 where the output is less pleasant because fingering doesn't follow the flow of the notes.
The solution 4 is a bit special because I used the addFingering external function (thanks Gilles Thibault!).

* * *

Let me discuss a bit about solution 3.

Here it is:

\version "2.21.0"
\new Voice {
  <<
    { s-1 s s-\finger\markup\circle 3 s-4}
    \fixed c'{ a c' f' a' }

}

I rewrite it using variables:

\version "2.21.0"
myMusic = \fixed c'{ a c' f' a' }
myFing = { s-1 s s-\finger\markup\circle 3 s-4}
\new Voice << \myMusic \myFing  >>

Now lets me compare it with the standard solution:

\fixed c' {a-1 c' f'-\finger\markup\circle 3 a'-4}

If I'm not wrong to generate the two variables (myMusic and myFing) from the previous code should not be that difficult.

1 I duplicate the music expression
2 In the variable where I want to put the music I remove the fingering
3 In the variable where I want to put the fingering I remove all the articulations and I substitute each note occurrence with their octave with s.

In frescobaldi there is already a snippet to remove fingering and remove many type of articulations. And to substitute each note occurrence with 's' a regex expression should do it pretty easily.

Any comments?
Thank you, g.

Re: fingering

Gianmaria Lari
Dear Robin you wrote:

[...] You should limit lilypond to one staff by saying
    \new Staff << \myMusic \myFing >>

That looks better, but it is still not equivalent.
Try changing the s-2 to s_2:
the notehead and the fingering collide.
To avoid that you should also limit lilypond to one voice by saying
    \new Staff \new Voice << \myMusic \myFing >>

Thank you Robin! As you probably have seen the third solution it's almost the same you proposed (probably the only difference is I didn't specified "\new Staff" ).
Thank you!!
Ciao, g.

Re: fingering

Robin Bannister-2
Gianmaria Lari wrote:

> If I'm not wrong to generate the two variables (myMusic and myFing) from
> the previous code should not be that difficult.
>
> 1 I duplicate the music expression
> 2 In the variable where I want to put the music I remove the fingering
> 3 In the variable where I want to put the fingering I remove all the
> articulations and I substitute each note occurrence with their octave with
> s.
.
.
.
> Any comments?

This scenario is incomplete.

There are surely further steps where you do something made possible by
this separation of myFing.

And maybe not just one but several use cases.
These use cases would demonstrate what aspects of separation are
important to you.

Cheers,
Robin