feature request: Hairpin.hairpinFullLength

feature request: Hairpin.hairpinFullLength

Graham Percival-2
(this'll probably get lost while HWN is away, but anyway...)

 From the docs,
"A hairpin starts at the left edge of the beginning note and ends on
the right edge of the ending note."
----
tupletFullLength (boolean)
     If set, the tuplet is printed up to the start of the next note.
----

Could we have a feature, similar to tupletFullLength, which places the
end of a hairpin just before the start of the next note?

In addition, could we allow this as valid syntax?
{
   c1\<\!

Re: feature request: Hairpin.hairpinFullLength

Trevor Bača-2
On 4/11/06, Graham Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (this'll probably get lost while HWN is away, but anyway...)
>
>  From the docs,
> "A hairpin starts at the left edge of the beginning note and ends on
> the right edge of the ending note."
> ----
> tupletFullLength (boolean)
>      If set, the tuplet is printed up to the start of the next note.
> ----
>
> Could we have a feature, similar to tupletFullLength, which places the
> end of a hairpin just before the start of the next note?
>
> In addition, could we allow this as valid syntax?
> {
>    c1\<\!
> }
I'll contribute to the sponsorship.

This seems obviously useful for stuff as widely varied as Brahms and
Ferneyhough.

--
Trevor Bača

Re: feature request: Hairpin.hairpinFullLength

Juergen Reuter
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Graham Percival wrote:

> (this'll probably get lost while HWN is away, but anyway...)
>
> From the docs,
> "A hairpin starts at the left edge of the beginning note and ends on the
> right edge of the ending note."
> ----
> tupletFullLength (boolean)
>    If set, the tuplet is printed up to the start of the next note.
> ----
>
> Could we have a feature, similar to tupletFullLength, which places the end of
> a hairpin just before the start of the next note?

And a similar thing for TextSpanner would probably fix the \episem, which
broke at some time during the 2.7 series (see manual Sect. 7.7.7).  It
seems that, for TextSpanners, the "FullLength" behavior is now always
true, while it must be false for the \episem.  Or do I miss something?

Greetings,
Juergen

Re: feature request: Hairpin.hairpinFullLength

Father Geoffrey Horton
> And a similar thing for TextSpanner would probably fix the \episem, which
> broke at some time during the 2.7 series (see manual Sect. 7.7.7).

I think \episem needs more work anyhow. It should be going in the next
staff space available above the notes, not over the staff. I monkeyed
around with manual placement of  a -_ articulation, but wasn't happy
with that, either.

Geoff

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Geoff Horton wrote:

>> And a similar thing for TextSpanner would probably fix the \episem, which
>> broke at some time during the 2.7 series (see manual Sect. 7.7.7).
>
> I think \episem needs more work anyhow. It should be going in the next
> staff space available above the notes, not over the staff. I monkeyed
> around with manual placement of  a -_ articulation, but wasn't happy
> with that, either.
>
> Geoff

IIRC, it _did_ go in the next staff, so this seems also to have broken.
Considering what Jan just wrote:

> Somewhere in the 2.7 cycle, follow-into-staff has been replaced by
> quantize-position.

maybe this is the reason it does not work anymore...  I will
eventually have a look at the quantize-position thing.  But I still do not
know how to fix the FullLength problem (unless someone implements such a
property for TextSpanner).

Greetings,
Juergen

Quoting Graham Percival <[hidden email]>:

> (this'll probably get lost while HWN is away, but anyway...)
>
> From the docs,
> "A hairpin starts at the left edge of the beginning note and ends on
> the right edge of the ending note."
> ----
> tupletFullLength (boolean)
>     If set, the tuplet is printed up to the start of the next note.
> ----
>
> Could we have a feature, similar to tupletFullLength, which places
> the end of a hairpin just before the start of the next note?

Silly question: what's the difference between "up to" and "just
before", i.e. how much before?
This is at least partially related to the bound-padding property,
though it affects both ends of the hairpin. Maybe the solution is to
have a separate such property for each end or let the value of the
bound-padding
property be a pair of values.

On 4/12/06, Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Graham Percival <[hidden email]>:
>
> > (this'll probably get lost while HWN is away, but anyway...)
> >
> > From the docs,
> > "A hairpin starts at the left edge of the beginning note and ends on
> > the right edge of the ending note."
> > ----
> > tupletFullLength (boolean)
> >     If set, the tuplet is printed up to the start of the next note.
> > ----
> >
> > Could we have a feature, similar to tupletFullLength, which places
> > the end of a hairpin just before the start of the next note?
>
> Silly question: what's the difference between "up to" and "just
> before", i.e. how much before?
> This is at least partially related to the bound-padding property,
> though it affects both ends of the hairpin. Maybe the solution is to
> have a separate such property for each end or let the value of the
> bound-padding
> property be a pair of values.
Agreed that that final distance just before needs to be override-able.
Using tuplet brackets as a guide, it seems like keeping that last bit
of distance constant throughout a score is the goal ... but when you
get backed into a corner it's really nice to be able to shave off a
bit of the distance.

--
Trevor Bača