enlarging default stem length

Helge Kruse-4
I find that sometimes the notes looks clumsy. I think the length of the
stem is too short as in this example:

\version "2.16"

\score { \relative c { \clef bass
     \times 4/6 { f,16 c f g a c }
     \times 4/6 { a g f c f, c' } r2 |

I would like the stem length as in this example:

\score {  \relative c { \clef bass
     \once \override Beam #'positions = #'(2 . 3)
     \times 4/6 { f,16 c f g a c }
     \once \override Beam #'positions = #'(2.5 . 1.5)
     \times 4/6 { a g f c f, c' } r2 |

I am reluctant to splatter this overrides all over the score. Can I set
this somehow with a general?

Regards
Helge

Re: enlarging default stem length

Nick Payne-3
On 14/04/13 17:49, Helge Kruse wrote:

> I find that sometimes the notes looks clumsy. I think the length of
> the stem is too short as in this example:
>
> \version "2.16"
>
> \score { \relative c { \clef bass
>     \times 4/6 { f,16 c f g a c }
>     \times 4/6 { a g f c f, c' } r2 |
>    }
> }
>
> I would like the stem length as in this example:
>
> \score {  \relative c { \clef bass
>     \once \override Beam #'positions = #'(2 . 3)
>     \times 4/6 { f,16 c f g a c }
>     \once \override Beam #'positions = #'(2.5 . 1.5)
>     \times 4/6 { a g f c f, c' } r2 |
>   }
> }
>
> I am reluctant to splatter this overrides all over the score. Can I
> set this somehow with a general?

This does approximately what you want:

\score { \relative c { \clef bass
     \override Stem.length-fraction = #(magstep 3)
     \times 4/6 { f,16 c f g a c }
     \times 4/6 { a g f c f, c' } r2 |

Re: enlarging default stem length

Helge Kruse-2
Am 14.04.2013 10:05, schrieb Nick Payne:

> On 14/04/13 17:49, Helge Kruse wrote:
>> I find that sometimes the notes looks clumsy. I think the length of
>> the stem is too short as in this example:
>>
>> \version "2.16"
>>
>> \score { \relative c { \clef bass
>> \times 4/6 { f,16 c f g a c }
>> \times 4/6 { a g f c f, c' } r2 |
>> }
>> }
>>
>> I would like the stem length as in this example:
>>
>> \score { \relative c { \clef bass
>> \once \override Beam #'positions = #'(2 . 3)
>> \times 4/6 { f,16 c f g a c }
>> \once \override Beam #'positions = #'(2.5 . 1.5)
>> \times 4/6 { a g f c f, c' } r2 |
>> }
>> }
>>
>> I am reluctant to splatter this overrides all over the score. Can I
>> set this somehow with a general?
>
> This does approximately what you want:
>
> \score { \relative c { \clef bass
> \override Stem.length-fraction = #(magstep 3)
> \times 4/6 { f,16 c f g a c }
> \times 4/6 { a g f c f, c' } r2 |
Ok, so I don't have to try the position values for the individual beams.
That's an improvement. But when I set this globally it gives a bad look
at other notes. It looks like that the reason for this behavior is that
Lilypond tries to set the center of all beam lines at a specific point.
Only when the distance between the note head a the closest line is less
a minimum the beam is move a bit away.

You can see this in this example (measures 2 and 4). Without the changed
length-fraction the middle of the beam has always the same Y-position.

\score {
   \relative c {
     \clef bass
     c8 e c e
     c16 e c e c e c e |
     c8 e c e
     c32 e c e c e c e c e c e c e c e
     \override Stem #'length-fraction = #(magstep 3)
     c8 e c e
     c16 e c e c e c e |
     c8 e c e
     c32 e c e c e c e c e c e c e c e

I am looking for a way to get a larger minimum but keep the length of
the stem in general. Unfortunately I found nothing to overwrite at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/internals/stem as well as I
didn't find magstep there.

Regards
Helge

Re: [Spam??] Re: enlarging default stem length

Trevor Daniels

Helge Kruse wrote Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:05 AM

> I am looking for a way to get a larger minimum but keep the length of
> the stem in general. Unfortunately I found nothing to overwrite at
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/internals/stem as well as I
> didn't find magstep there.

Have a look at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/internals/beam

It looks like overriding 'beamed-stem-shorten might help, assuming it's
only beamed stems that you'd like to lengthen.

Trevor

Re: enlarging default stem length

Thomas Morley
2013/4/14 Helge Kruse <[hidden email]>:

> I am looking for a way to get a larger minimum but keep the length of the
> stem in general. Unfortunately I found nothing to overwrite at
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/internals/stem as well as I
> didn't find magstep there.

For beamed Stems try to play with the values of
\override Stem #'details #'beamed-minimum-free-lengths = #'(1.83 1.5 1.25)
The first value affects beamed 8th, the second 16th the last 32th and shorter.

magstep is a procedure defined in /scm/font.scm:

(define-public (magstep s)
  (exp (* (/ s 6) (log 2)))

affecting the argument `s´ with some calculations.

Cheers.
  Harm