emails innummerable

Sam Frybyte
Hi- this is not quite off-topic.
I (and assume we) at one time were able to get a once a day list off
all the questions/answers, in one email.
That is clearly not the case any longer.
But.
The current method means that my mailbox receives 10+ emails a day
often about the same issue between the same two people.

It seems inefficient and redundant and I wish the manager could
provide the daily again.

I've tried writing to that person (who is it now?) and gotten no response.

Does anyone else feel this way?  If not then it's moot but I am
beginning to regret being on the list.

--
Jay Hamilton
Sound & Silence

Re: emails innummerable

Jean-Julien Fleck
Hello Sam,

I think that if you visit the webpage https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/options/lilypond-user you should have the opportunity to log-in and modify your preferences so that you can activate "group mode".

Cheers,

Le dim. 4 nov. 2018 à 19:47, Sam Frybyte <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi- this is not quite off-topic.
I (and assume we) at one time were able to get a once a day list off
all the questions/answers, in one email.
That is clearly not the case any longer.
But.
The current method means that my mailbox receives 10+ emails a day
often about the same issue between the same two people.

It seems inefficient and redundant and I wish the manager could
provide the daily again.

I've tried writing to that person (who is it now?) and gotten no response.

Does anyone else feel this way?  If not then it's moot but I am
beginning to regret being on the list.

--
Jay Hamilton
Sound & Silence
www.soundand.com
 206-328-7694

JJ Fleck
Physique et Informatique
PCSI1 Lycée Kléber

Re: emails innummerable

David Linn
I actually sent you a message to which I've not seen a reply.

By the time I saw your (first) message and could check your list settings, your address was set for "digest".  Have you changed that recently (i.e. since October 29) when you sent your first message (with a different name "Jay" and email address)?

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 12:52 PM Sam Frybyte <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi- this is not quite off-topic.
I (and assume we) at one time were able to get a once a day list off
all the questions/answers, in one email.
That is clearly not the case any longer.
But.
The current method means that my mailbox receives 10+ emails a day
often about the same issue between the same two people.

It seems inefficient and redundant and I wish the manager could
provide the daily again.

I've tried writing to that person (who is it now?) and gotten no response.

Does anyone else feel this way?  If not then it's moot but I am
beginning to regret being on the list.

--
Jay Hamilton
Sound & Silence
www.soundand.com
 206-328-7694

Re: emails innummerable

Jay Hamilton-3

Merci

but I just checked (and changed my name and address) and it was set (as far as I could understand ) to 'digest' or group

so that is not the answer or at least not to the current problem.

Jay

Re: emails innummerable

David Sumbler

Re: emails innummerable

David Linn-2
The digest sender looks not at the number of messages in the queue but rather at the combined size of all of the messages in the queue.  To be precise, the Mailman v2.1 List Admin manual says:

<quote>
Digest delivery is a way to bundle many articles together into one package, which can be delivered once per day (if there were any posted articles), or whenever the package is bigger than a specified limit. Some users may prefer this style of delivery for higher traffic lists since they will receive fewer messages.
</quote>

I can raise "the specified limit" and potentially reduce the number of digests per day, but it will probably increase the number of large messages *everyone* on the digest list receives.

> but I just checked (and changed my name and address) and it was set
> (as
> far as I could understand ) to 'digest' or group
> so that is not the answer or at least not to the current problem.
> Jay

I think that the problem Jay/Sam is referring to is that the list is so
busy (surely a good thing) that several digests per day are sent out.

On Saturday 3rd November, for instance, I received 14 digests.  These
contained a total of 52 separate messages.  Sending one daily digest
would obviously mean that all 52 messages appeared in one massive
email.

There does seem to be something odd about the way the issue of a digest
is triggered though: one of Saturday's digests contained 8 messages,
another contained just 1.  This variability happens all the time, and
it does not appear to be related to the length of the individual
messages.

Is is possible to tweak the list-issuing software either to standardize
the timing of new digests (e.g. once per day, or perhaps once every 6
hours); or alternatively to issue a digest once the number of emails or
their total length has reached a certain level?

I have got used to the apparently random frequency and length of the
digests, but I can quite see that it might annoy some people.

David

Re: emails innummerable

David Sumbler

The digest sender looks not at the number of messages in the queue but
rather at the combined size of all of the messages in the queue.  To be
precise, the Mailman v2.1 List Admin manual says:

<quote>
Digest delivery is a way to bundle many articles together into one
package, which can be delivered once per day (if there were any posted
articles), or whenever the package is bigger than a specified limit.
Some users may prefer this style of delivery for higher traffic lists
since they will receive fewer messages.
</quote>

I can raise "the specified limit" and potentially reduce the number of
digests per day, but it will probably increase the number of large
messages *everyone* on the digest list receives.

***

There seems to be a wide variation in the amount of material included
in digests which the quote does not account for.  Then again, perhaps
the size of attached images etc. is included in the calculation, which
could possibly explain it.

Either way, I personally don't have a problem with the size or
frequency of the digests.

David

Re: Re: emails innummerable

On 2018-11-06 03:23, David Linn wrote:

> I can raise "the specified limit" and potentially reduce the number of
> digests per day, but it will probably increase the number of large
> messages *everyone* on the digest list receives.
I'd appreciate such a solution, such that the normal arrival rate would
be 1-2 digests per day. Currently, it's often more. The size itself
isn't really a problem.