dynamics collision

andrea valle
Hi,

I know that this is in the manual but I'm getting a little crazy with
this minimal trouble.
I have to move dynamics mark.
I suppose I have to use something like that

  \once \override ... #'padding = #1.5 \sfz

but I'm not able to determine what should substitute the ...

Could someone provide an example?

Thanks
-a-

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino

RE: dynamics collision

Fairchild
Andrea -

Try DynamicText.

                           - Bruce

RE: dynamics collision

Fairchild
Andrea -

Just tried DynamicText with padding -- seems not to work.

Tried   \once \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( -9.0 . 9.0 ) e \sfz
-- it does.

                    - Bruce

Andrea -

Try DynamicText.

                           - Bruce

Re: dynamics collision

Mats Bengtsson-6
Please read at the bottom of the section on "Dynamics" in the manual:
"Vertical positioning of these symbols is handled by
DynamicLineSpanner."
This means that ... should be replaced by DynamicLineSpanner.

    /Mats

Fairchild wrote:

> Andrea -
>
> Just tried DynamicText with padding -- seems not to work.
>
> Tried   \once \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( -9.0 . 9.0 ) e \sfz
> -- it does.
>
>                     - Bruce
>
> Andrea -
>
> Try DynamicText.
>
>                            - Bruce

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: dynamics collision

andrea valle
Ok Mats,
I read it before writing to the list, but it would have help if the
manual provided an example.

I'd like to add a snippet on the topic to LSR, so I don't want to be
imprecise.

If I have:

\once \override Score.DynamicLineSpanner #'padding = #1.5 a'4 \pp
\once \override Score.DynamicLineSpanner #'padding = #3.5 a'4 \mp
\once \override Score.DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( 3.0 . 1.0 ) a'4
\mf
\once \override Score.DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( -9.0 . 9.0 ) a'4
\f
}

what is the difference in using DynamicLineSpanner vs. DynamicText?

Thanks

-a-

On 20 Nov 2005, at 17:10, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> Please read at the bottom of the section on "Dynamics" in the manual:
> "Vertical positioning of these symbols is handled by
> DynamicLineSpanner."
> This means that ... should be replaced by DynamicLineSpanner.
>
>    /Mats
>
> Fairchild wrote:
>> Andrea -
>> Just tried DynamicText with padding -- seems not to work.
>> Tried   \once \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( -9.0 . 9.0 )
>> e \sfz
>> -- it does.
>>                     - Bruce
>> Andrea -
>> Try DynamicText.
>>                            - Bruce

The point of the DynamicLineSpanner is to keep all dynamics aligned,
both absolute dynamics like \f and \mp and (de)crescendi (both in the
form of hairpins and as text with a dashed line).

Changing the padding property of DynamicsLineSpanner will therefore
move all dynamic indications up or down.

The extra-offset property is fairly well described in "Common Tweaks".
One important difference between the padding and the extra-offset is that
if you increase the padding, LilyPond will notice that the dynamic has
changed
and will adjust the layout of the rest of the score to take this change
into account,
for example by increasing the space between two staves or between two score
lines, if necessary. If you set extra-offset, on the other hand, you can
be sure
that nothing else will change, so in general I always recommend to use the
padding property if you want to things up or down and extra-offset only if
you have to move something left or right and it doesn't help to set the
alignment.

   /Mats

andrea valle wrote:

> Ok Mats,
> I read it before writing to the list, but it would have help if the
> manual provided an example.
>
> I'd like to add a snippet on the topic to LSR, so I don't want to be
> imprecise.
>
> If I have:
>
> \version "2.6.4"
> {
> \once \override Score.DynamicLineSpanner #'padding = #1.5 a'4 \pp
> \once \override Score.DynamicLineSpanner #'padding = #3.5 a'4 \mp
> \once \override Score.DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( 3.0 . 1.0 ) a'4
> \mf
> \once \override Score.DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( -9.0 . 9.0 )
> a'4 \f
> }
>

> what is the difference in using DynamicLineSpanner vs. DynamicText?
>

> Thanks
>
> -a-
>
> On 20 Nov 2005, at 17:10, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>
>> Please read at the bottom of the section on "Dynamics" in the manual:
>> "Vertical positioning of these symbols is handled by
>> DynamicLineSpanner."
>> This means that ... should be replaced by DynamicLineSpanner.
>>
>>    /Mats
>>
>> Fairchild wrote:
>>
>>> Andrea -
>>> Just tried DynamicText with padding -- seems not to work.
>>> Tried   \once \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( -9.0 . 9.0
>>> ) e \sfz
>>> -- it does.
>>>                     - Bruce
>>> Andrea -