dynamics and accidentals

Werner LEMBERG

I think that the current code which handles collisions between
accidentals and dynamics is `too good'.  Have a look at this example:

  \relative {
    e4\p dis\p cis\p b\p ais\p
  }

  \paper {
    ragged-right = ##t
  }

IMHO, you either need a perfect skyline algorithm with quite exact
boundaries so that such unnatural big distances are avoided, or, which
is perhaps sufficient, just ignore accidentals for positioning
articulation signs below or above note heads.

Before entering this into the bug database I want to hear your
opinions.

    Werner

piano.png (4K) Download Attachment

Re: dynamics and accidentals

Graham Percival-2
Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I think that the current code which handles collisions between
> accidentals and dynamics is `too good'.  Have a look at this example:
> IMHO, you either need a perfect skyline algorithm with quite exact
> boundaries so that such unnatural big distances are avoided, or, which
> is perhaps sufficient, just ignore accidentals for positioning
> articulation signs below or above note heads.

If we ignore articulations, we occasionally have collisions between
accidentals on notes below the staff and longer dynamics (like mp or
mf).  I'd rather have the current extra space then collisions in default
output.

Re: dynamics and accidentals

Werner LEMBERG

> > IMHO, you either need a perfect skyline algorithm with quite exact
> > boundaries so that such unnatural big distances are avoided, or, which
> > is perhaps sufficient, just ignore accidentals for positioning
> > articulation signs below or above note heads.
>
> If we ignore articulations,

? Do you mean accidentals?

> we occasionally have collisions between accidentals on notes below
> the staff and longer dynamics (like mp or mf).

Hmm.  Not with mp or mf but perhaps with fz.

> I'd rather have the current extra space than collisions in default
> output.

Well, in full scores it's very annoying that some staves are spread
too much just due to such unnecessarily big distances...

I'd rather apply some extra padding instead.  Is there a possibility
to switch off the accidental-articulation collision handler?

    Werner

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>> IMHO, you either need a perfect skyline algorithm with quite exact
>>> boundaries so that such unnatural big distances are avoided, or, which
>>> is perhaps sufficient, just ignore accidentals for positioning
>>> articulation signs below or above note heads.
>> If we ignore articulations,
>
> ? Do you mean accidentals?

Oops, sorry.  Yes, accidentals.

>> we occasionally have collisions between accidentals on notes below
>> the staff and longer dynamics (like mp or mf).
>
> Hmm.  Not with mp or mf but perhaps with fz.

No, I distinctly remember this bug.  I think it was in the 2.6 series; I
had a viola duet with a low cis (below the alto clef staff) with a \mp
that collided with the sharp.

>> I'd rather have the current extra space than collisions in default
>> output.
>
> Well, in full scores it's very annoying that some staves are spread
> too much just due to such unnecessarily big distances...
>
> I'd rather apply some extra padding instead.  Is there a possibility
> to switch off the accidental-articulation collision handler?

That's beyond the scope of my knowledge, sorry.  :)