dvips fonts problem?

Matthias Warkentin
Hi!

When I apply the command dvips -Ppdf -u+ec+mftrace.map
-u+lilypond.map on the output of lilypond-book 2.4.3
and latex some of my symbols get changed (e.g. the
symbol for rational numbers becomes an ordinary Q). Is
there a way to avoid this? And, by the way, why is it
necessary to use dvips and then ps2pdf, i.e. why can't
the dvi-viewer find the PS header file
music-drawing-routines.ps. (I suppose this is the
reason for the fact that in the .dvi file there are no
stems and other things missing)?
Cheers,
Matthias

Re: dvips fonts problem?

Mats Bengtsson-6
Could you please provide a small example file that illustrate the
problem.

Regarding your second question, it depends on what platform you
use and what TeX distribution. At least in the xdvi included in
the teTeX 3.0 distribution, all the postscript features are shown
correctly, whereas older versions of xdvi were not able to handle
all the embedded postscript code correctly, so it's a limitation
of your dvi viewer, not of LilyPond itself.

   /Mats

Matthias Warkentin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When I apply the command dvips -Ppdf -u+ec+mftrace.map
> -u+lilypond.map on the output of lilypond-book 2.4.3
> and latex some of my symbols get changed (e.g. the
> symbol for rational numbers becomes an ordinary Q). Is
> there a way to avoid this? And, by the way, why is it
> necessary to use dvips and then ps2pdf, i.e. why can't
> the dvi-viewer find the PS header file
> music-drawing-routines.ps. (I suppose this is the
> reason for the fact that in the .dvi file there are no
> stems and other things missing)?
> Cheers,
> Matthias

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Ant: Re: dvips fonts problem?

Matthias Warkentin
Hi!

> Could you please provide a small example file that
> illustrate the
> problem.
My .lytex file looks like that:

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{a4 wide, dsfont}
\usepackage{play}
\usepackage[german]{babel}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}

\begin{document}

\begin{play}
\speaker{Prophet} blablabla
\end{play}

$\mathbb{Q}$

\lilypondfile[linewidth=14\cm,noindent]{Wiegenlied.ly}

\end{document}

with Wiegenlied.ly being:

\version "2.4.3"

\layout {

}

\relative c'' <<
            \new Staff {\set Staff.instrument = "$Sl$"
                        \time 3/4
                        \clef treble
                        \key e \minor
                        \partial 4
                        e8 e d4 e b c2 e8 e d4 e a, b2
e8 e e,4 g b8 b c4 d fis,8 fis g4 b a b2 \bar "|."
                        }
                        \addlyrics { Der ist nicht elf
mal zw?lf, und der nicht acht mal sieb'n,
                        auch nicht neun mal acht --
und -- f?nf -- zig...  viel -- leicht sind sie ja
prim? }
            \new Staff {
                        \time 3/4
                        \clef treble
                        \key e \minor
                        \partial 4
                        r4 g2. a fis e c2 d4 e d2 b2.
dis2 \bar "|."
                        }
            \new Staff {
                        \time 3/4
                        \key e \minor
                        \clef bass

                        \partial 4
                        r4 b2. a a g g a4 fis2 g2.
fis2 \bar "|."
                        }

            \new Staff {
            \time 3/4
                        \key e \minor
                        \clef bass
                        \partial 4
                        r4 g,2. a d b c2 g4 a d2 e,2.
b'2 \bar "|."
                        }

Since this is my first piece I set with lilypond I am
very grateful for any advice how to improve it,
especially regarding its embedding in the text.

> Regarding your second question, it depends on what
> platform you
> use and what TeX distribution. At least in the xdvi
> included in
> the teTeX 3.0 distribution, all the postscript
Is this included in the tetex-base package? I think I
have a teTeX 3.0 distibution (which came along with
lilypond) but I have not found xdvi.

> a limitation
> of your dvi viewer, not of LilyPond itself.
So why is it necessary to use latex, dvips and then
ps2pdf, i.e. would latex and dvi2pdf work (although
this might only be a shortcut for the first way I'm
afraid) and why is it not possible to use pdf-latex
directly (there I get exactly the same picture as when
I view the .dvi in a (probably old) YAP)?
Thanks a lot for your answers!! (In fact I want to
finish my "opus" until tomorrow, so every mail is very
valuable!)
Cheers,
Matthias