divisi music for one measure

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi List,

I have the following MWE:

\version "2.19.82"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Lyrics
    \name AltLyrics
    \alias Lyrics
    \override LyricText.font-shape = #'italic
  }
  \context {
    \StaffGroup
    \accepts AltLyrics

%% Doesn't do a lot, apart from avoid warnings when generating midi output
\midi {
  \context {
    \Lyrics
    \name AltLyrics
    \alias Lyrics
  }
  \context {
    \StaffGroup
    \accepts AltLyrics

voceMusicSop = \relative c'' {
  \autoBeamOff \dynamicUp  \stemUp
  \time 4/8

  % 1-3
  R2*3

  | %4
  r4 r8 f,\(

  | %5
  des'4 bes

  | %6
  f bes8 c

  | %7
  a8. f16 f4~

  | %8
  f4.\) r8
}

voceLyricsSop = \lyricmode {

  \markup { 1. Was } ist Di -- do das ganz An -- de -- re? __
}

altvoceLyricsSop = \lyricmode {

  What is, Di -- do, the whol -- ly Oth -- er? __

  \new Staff = "voci" <<
  \new Voice = "voceSop" <<
            \voceMusicSop

          \new Lyrics = "voceLyricsSopContext" \lyricsto "voceSop" {
            { \voceLyricsSop }
          }
          \new AltLyrics \lyricsto "voceSop" {
            \altvoceLyricsSop

--------------
The client wants the music at Bar 6 and 7 to have different notes, but only affecting the English lyrics. How do I do this? The \altvoceLyricsSop contents are already attached to voceSop, and if I start a new voice at this point, how do I ensure that only the lyrics in \altvocoLyricsSop get attached to it, then resume following \voceMusicSop afterwards?

Thanks for the help,

Re: divisi music for one measure

Valentin Villenave-3
On 4/4/19, N. Andrew Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> how do I ensure that only the lyrics in \altvocoLyricsSop get
> attached to it, then resume following \voceMusicSop afterwards?

You can \set the associatedVoice property to another Voice’s name
whenever you want; see
http://lilypond.org/doc/latest/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#aligning-lyrics-to-a-melody

Good luck!

Cheers,
V.

Re: divisi music for one measure

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi Valentin,

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 6:10 PM Valentin Villenave <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/4/19, N. Andrew Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> how do I ensure that only the lyrics in \altvocoLyricsSop get
> attached to it, then resume following \voceMusicSop afterwards?

You can \set the associatedVoice property to another Voice’s name
whenever you want; see
http://lilypond.org/doc/latest/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#aligning-lyrics-to-a-melody

Good luck!

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!

Re: divisi music for one measure

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi Valentin, List,

now a follow-up: you see that there's a phrasing slur that begins in Bar 4 and ends on a tied note in Bar 8. How can I keep this phrasing slur where it is, when the lyrics in both voices terminate on a note tied to that f4. in Bar 8? I either get errors about unterminated hyphens or unterminated phrasing slurs.

Thanks for the help,

On 4/5/19, N. Andrew Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How can I keep this phrasing slur where
> it is, when the lyrics in both voices terminate on a note tied to that f4.
> in Bar 8?

Greetings Andrew,
I’m not sure what’s happening there (an example would be helpful):
phrasing slurs entered as \( \) are not supposed to affect lyrics.
(That’s the point of using these instead of slurs entered with
parentheses.)

If there’s a hyphen error, then most likely your syllable count has
changed somewhere due to your tricks with associatedVoices, and
therefore no longer matches the notes.

As far as slurs go, you may be interested in various useful hacks, for
example using the empty chord <> as an anchor in case you need to
switch between mono- and polyphonic constructs:
%%%%
{
  g'1\(
  << {a'2 b'} \\ fis'1 >>
  <>\)
  d'1
  b\( <>\)
  << {e'2 fis'} \\ cis'1 >>
}
%%%%

And by the way, one last thing: I noticed in your first post that you used
 \markup { 1. Was}
for the beginning of your German lyrics. There are less complicated
possibilities, for example
 "1. Was"
or
1._Was
(ok, that last one is sort of a hack).
My point is, you could prefer using \markup for cases where adding
formatting is required, for example in this case:
\markup { \small \number 1. Was }

Cheers,
V.

Re: divisi music for one measure

David Kastrup
Valentin Villenave <[hidden email]> writes:

> And by the way, one last thing: I noticed in your first post that you used
>  \markup { 1. Was}
> for the beginning of your German lyrics. There are less complicated
> possibilities, for example
>  "1. Was"
> or
> 1._Was
> (ok, that last one is sort of a hack).
> My point is, you could prefer using \markup for cases where adding
> formatting is required, for example in this case:
> \markup { \small \number 1. Was }

Oh come on.

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/stanzas.en.html#adding-stanza-numbers>