different notehead sizes in one chord

Sean Reed
hi,

is it possible to have different notehead sizes within one chord?

i'm entering a berio score with lilypond in order to learn some of
the specific "modern"-notation abilities of lilypond, and he has
several chords in which the lowest three notes are normal sized and
the topmost note is considerably smaller, for example; or where the
middle two notes are normal sized and the outer notes are smaller.

i tried to enter a \once \override NoteHead #'font-size command
within the chord, but got an error on compiling the score.

thanks,
best,
sean

Re: different notehead sizes in one chord

Mats Bengtsson-6
See the example called apply-output.ly in the Regression Tests document.

   /Mats

Sean Reed wrote:

> hi,
>
> is it possible to have different notehead sizes within one chord?
>
> i'm entering a berio score with lilypond in order to learn some of
> the specific "modern"-notation abilities of lilypond, and he has
> several chords in which the lowest three notes are normal sized and
> the topmost note is considerably smaller, for example; or where the
> middle two notes are normal sized and the outer notes are smaller.
>
> i tried to enter a \once \override NoteHead #'font-size command
> within the chord, but got an error on compiling the score.
>
> thanks,
> best,
> sean

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: different notehead sizes in one chord

Bertalan Fodor
Could an easier and faster way be sponsored?

Bert

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> See the example called apply-output.ly in the Regression Tests document.
>
>   /Mats
>
> Sean Reed wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> is it possible to have different notehead sizes within one chord?
>>
>> i'm entering a berio score with lilypond in order to learn some of
>> the specific "modern"-notation abilities of lilypond, and he has
>> several chords in which the lowest three notes are normal sized and
>> the topmost note is considerably smaller, for example; or where the
>> middle two notes are normal sized and the outer notes are smaller.
>>
>> i tried to enter a \once \override NoteHead #'font-size command
>> within the chord, but got an error on compiling the score.
>>
>> thanks,
>> best,
>> sean

Re: different notehead sizes in one chord

Sean Reed
hi mats and bert,

this would interest me as well.
i'll keep chewing my way through the apply-output first though.

thanks for the tip.
sean

Sean Reed
Hamburg, Germany
Web: www.seanreed.de

On 01.12.2005, at 20:16, Bertalan Fodor wrote:

> Could an easier and faster way be sponsored?
>
> Bert
>
> Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>
>> See the example called apply-output.ly in the Regression Tests
>> document.
>>
>>   /Mats
>>
>> Sean Reed wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> is it possible to have different notehead sizes within one chord?
>>>
>>> i'm entering a berio score with lilypond in order to learn some
>>> of  the specific "modern"-notation abilities of lilypond, and he
>>> has  several chords in which the lowest three notes are normal
>>> sized and  the topmost note is considerably smaller, for example;
>>> or where the  middle two notes are normal sized and the outer
>>> notes are smaller.
>>>
>>> i tried to enter a \once \override NoteHead #'font-size command
>>> within the chord, but got an error on compiling the score.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> best,
>>> sean

Re: different notehead sizes in one chord

Erik Sandberg
On Thursday 01 December 2005 20.16, Bertalan Fodor wrote:
> Could an easier and faster way be sponsored?

I have a suggestion:
- Let music events have a optional grob property list, just like contexts
have. This could be initialised with a syntax similar to:
 <c d-\override NoteHead #'color = #blue e>8
- If an override list is present in the cause of a grob, Grob::Grob conses
this list to immutable_properties_alist_.

This should be fairly easy to implement, and to me it feels like a nice
solution of a problem. I see two possible problems:
- my proposed syntax may not be considered clean enough; it is a hack.
- This suggestion requires that Music gets a grob property system which is
very similar to the grob property system of contexts. Something needs to be
done to prevent code duplication; perhaps grob property handling could be
extracted to a new class.

--
Erik

Re: different notehead sizes in one chord

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Bertalan Fodor wrote:
> Could an easier and faster way be sponsored?

I could add something along the lines of

   \tag

which would be used like

  <  \tweak #'(style . baroque) c4

Cost: 130 EUR (incl VAT for EU individuals)

On 03.12.2005, at 15:48, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Bertalan Fodor wrote:
>> Could an easier and faster way be sponsored?
>
> I could add something along the lines of
>
>   \tag
>
> which would be used like
>
>  <  \tweak #'(style . baroque) c4
>     >
>

> Cost: 130 EUR (incl VAT for EU individuals)

bertalan: since you expressed your interest in this as well, would
you maybe consider going halves on me for sponsoring this?

best,
sean

Sean Reed
Hamburg, Germany
Web: www.seanreed.de

> --
>  Han-Wen Nienhuys - [hidden email] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen

Re: different notehead sizes in one chord

Bertalan Fodor

>> Cost: 130 EUR (incl VAT for EU individuals)
>

> bertalan: since you expressed your interest in this as well, would
> you maybe consider going halves on me for sponsoring this?

Yes. However, I would like to sponsor this with a package of other
features, however I don't know how much those cost, so I'd like to know
before:

1. Unhyphenation possibility lyrics, i.e. when there is not enough place
for a hyphen. The current way of manually turning off padding is almost
good, but when the hyphen is removed I still have to manually move the
syllables, considering kerning as well. Reformatting the score also
makes it bad, because my manual aligning gets useless.

2. An XML file generated from the sources that has the same content as
the Programming Reference. This could be used in LilyPondTool, and
provide a possibility to get automatic completion from the currently
installed binary version of lilypond. Like this:

<contexts><context description="&#10;&lt;p&gt;Identical to
&lt;code&gt;StaffGroup&lt;/code&gt; except that the&#10;contained staves
are not connected vertically.&#10;&#10;" name="ChoirStaff">
<grob name="SystemStartBar"/>
<grob name="SystemStartBrace"/>
<grob name="SystemStartBracket"/>
<translator-property-default name="systemStartDelimiter"
value="'SystemStartBracket"/></context>