development stalled

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

development stalled

Frank Bryce
Hello,

my name is Frank and I have now used Lilypond for quite a long time, I enjoy it for some years but I dont like that there is no current improvements which a normal user can use. See the following list that shows that it has been more then 5 1/2 years since the last major version and even almost two years for the prerelease stage. That makes me sad. Unfortunately Im not a programmer so I dont know how to help. Should I  change to Musescore or Dorico?

version release date days since last release
2.0.0 2003/09/24
2.2.0 2004/04/01 190
2.4.2 2004/11/08 221
2.6.0 2005/06/27 231
2.8.0 2006/03/22 268
2.10.0 2006/11/15 238
2.12.0 2008/12/22 768
2.14.0 2011/06/06 896
2.16.0 2012/08/24 445
2.18.0 2013/12/29 492
2.19.80 2017/10/16 1387
today 2019/08/13 666

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
dak
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: development stalled

dak
"Frank Bryce" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> my name is Frank and I have now used Lilypond for quite a long time, I
> enjoy it for some years but I dont like that there is no current
> improvements which a normal user can use. See the following list that
> shows that it has been more then 5 1/2 years since the last major
> version and even almost two years for the prerelease stage. That makes
> me sad. Unfortunately Im not a programmer so I dont know how to
> help.

The German translation is very much outdated (lagging behind a number of
years).  Your Email address suggests being located in Austria though
your family name does not exactly appear Austrian.  Would you be close
enough to being a native speaker to work in that area?

> Should I change to Musescore or Dorico?

What are you missing?  What do you expect to accomplish from a change?
LilyPond is so different from Musescore and Dorico that I don't really
know what expectations you would have from changing programs that could
also be addressed by a new release.

> version release date days since last release
> 2.0.0 2003/09/24
> 2.2.0 2004/04/01 190
> 2.4.2 2004/11/08 221
> 2.6.0 2005/06/27 231
> 2.8.0 2006/03/22 268
> 2.10.0 2006/11/15 238
> 2.12.0 2008/12/22 768
> 2.14.0 2011/06/06 896
> 2.16.0 2012/08/24 445
> 2.18.0 2013/12/29 492
> 2.19.80 2017/10/16 1387
> today 2019/08/13 666

2.19.80 is not the latest release.  Why would you not even upgrade to
the latest release, yet complain that there is no newer one?

I am not enthused about our current delays (for which I am certainly
responsible to a good degree) but really don't see how you think you
would gain from a program change.

--
David Kastrup

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: development stalled

Kieren MacMillan
In reply to this post by Frank Bryce
Hi Frank,

> my name is Frank and I have now used Lilypond for quite a long time, I enjoy
> it for some years but I dont like that there is no current improvements which
> a normal user can use.

Why don’t you use the odd-numbered version(s)? I do… and I’m pretty sure my
usage (mission-critical, daily composition, arranging, and engraving) pushes
Lilypond as hard as 99.5% of the Lilypond user base.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: development stalled

Étienne Beaulé
In reply to this post by Frank Bryce
Hello,

Don’t worry, there is still active development. I understand not having any recent stable updates is frustrating, and having a stable release made is a priority due to the length of time it has been. For now, we are holding off to fix a few problems before release.

In anticipation of the release, we had skipped numbers 65->80 of 2.19.x and started making a selection of features to include. The developers also want a new stable release just like you; we're working on it!

Étienne

> Le 13 août 2019 à 18:15, Frank Bryce <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> my name is Frank and I have now used Lilypond for quite a long time, I enjoy it for some years but I dont like that there is no current improvements which a normal user can use. See the following list that shows that it has been more then 5 1/2 years since the last major version and even almost two years for the prerelease stage. That makes me sad. Unfortunately Im not a programmer so I dont know how to help. Should I  change to Musescore or Dorico?
>
> version release date days since last release
> 2.0.0 2003/09/24
> 2.2.0 2004/04/01 190
> 2.4.2 2004/11/08 221
> 2.6.0 2005/06/27 231
> 2.8.0 2006/03/22 268
> 2.10.0 2006/11/15 238
> 2.12.0 2008/12/22 768
> 2.14.0 2011/06/06 896
> 2.16.0 2012/08/24 445
> 2.18.0 2013/12/29 492
> 2.19.80 2017/10/16 1387
> today 2019/08/13 666
>
> _______________________________________________
> lilypond-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: development stalled

Karlin High
In reply to this post by dak
On 8/13/2019 4:42 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
> "Frank Bryce" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately Im not a programmer so I dont know how to
>> help.
>
> I am not enthused about our current delays

David K. or other contributors, what would you suggest is a good
LilyPond development area for beginners to work on?

The documentation seems often suggested, but in my experience it mostly
looks good already (the English version, anyway) and I still have the
same question: what needs work?

The Contributor Guide suggests searching the issue tracker for issues
labeled "frog," but the most recent one is from 2014. Would this still
be a good approach?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
dak
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: development stalled

dak
Karlin High <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 8/13/2019 4:42 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> "Frank Bryce" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Unfortunately Im not a programmer so I dont know how to
>>> help.
>>
>> I am not enthused about our current delays
>
> David K. or other contributors, what would you suggest is a good
> LilyPond development area for beginners to work on?
>
> The documentation seems often suggested, but in my experience it
> mostly looks good already (the English version, anyway)

The main translations in good order tend to be the Romance languages.
The Germanic ones are really trailing, and the slavic ones are basically
in disorder.

> and I still have the same question: what needs work?
>
> The Contributor Guide suggests searching the issue tracker for issues
> labeled "frog," but the most recent one is from 2014. Would this still
> be a good approach?

The problem is that code base problems are not really beginner stuff to
tackle.  There is a lot these days at LSR level that one can get working
on, but there is not a lot of infrastructure (like LaTeX has for
plugging in style files) where loose work like this can be collected in
an organised manner.  One might want to look at the openlilylib stuff.

--
David Kastrup

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel