(de)crescendo on items with specified volume

(de)crescendo on items with specified volume

James Wilkinson
I'm getting this message:

"programming error: (de)crescendo on items with specified volume"

The output looks fine, but I'd like to eliminate the message, anyway.

It doesn't tell me what or where I did that makes it unhappy, and I'm
not sharp enough to tell from the message itself why it's unhappy. So
the next step is to, one at a time, remove all my (de)crescendos to
see when the error goes away. Before doing that, I decided to ask you
guys.

thanks
Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
[hidden email]        | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me, that word would have to be
"profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.
Metathesis??? Don't ax me.
Just between you and I, the grammar used by Americans are getting worse.
I can only help but wonder what the cause of this might be.
It just ceases to amaze me how it could be the case, but mostly I
could care less.

Re: (de)crescendo on items with specified volume

Graham Percival-3
On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 05:34:29PM -0400, James Wilkinson wrote:
> "programming error: (de)crescendo on items with specified volume"
>
> The output looks fine, but I'd like to eliminate the message, anyway.

This looks like a harmless warning; I remember seeing it in 2003
or 2004 or something like that.  I didn't find it with a quick
glance at the issue tracker, so producing a minimal bug report
-might- help somebody fix it... but it'll be competing with 400+
other issues for attention.

On the plus side, this is a nice introductory programming problem
for a Frog to work on.  On the negative side, very few Frogs work
on stuff tagged as "frog" -- they generally prefer to tackle
harder, but more personally satisfying, problems.

Re: (de)crescendo on items with specified volume

Neil Puttock
On 1 September 2010 22:51, Graham Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This looks like a harmless warning; I remember seeing it in 2003
> or 2004 or something like that.  I didn't find it with a quick
> glance at the issue tracker, so producing a minimal bug report
> -might- help somebody fix it... but it'll be competing with 400+
> other issues for attention.

Mark Polesky explained what's going on here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-11/msg00240.html

Cheers,
Neil

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 11:24:55PM +0100, Neil Puttock wrote:

> On 1 September 2010 22:51, Graham Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This looks like a harmless warning; I remember seeing it in 2003
> > or 2004 or something like that.  I didn't find it with a quick
> > glance at the issue tracker, so producing a minimal bug report
> > -might- help somebody fix it... but it'll be competing with 400+
> > other issues for attention.
>
> Mark Polesky explained what's going on here:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-11/msg00240.html

Still looks like a bug.  Our input syntax is defined to accept an
absolute dynamic as ending a crescendo; in this case, the midi
output show just "get a bit quieter", then resume the same volume.
Either that, or give a better warning message.

Bug squad: do your stuff.

Re: (de)crescendo on items with specified volume

Dmytro O. Redchuk-2
On Wed 01 Sep 2010, 23:29 Graham Percival wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 11:24:55PM +0100, Neil Puttock wrote:
> > On 1 September 2010 22:51, Graham Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > This looks like a harmless warning; I remember seeing it in 2003
> > > or 2004 or something like that.  I didn't find it with a quick
> > > glance at the issue tracker, so producing a minimal bug report
> > > -might- help somebody fix it... but it'll be competing with 400+
> > > other issues for attention.
> >
> > Mark Polesky explained what's going on here:
> >
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-11/msg00240.html
>
> Still looks like a bug.  Our input syntax is defined to accept an
> absolute dynamic as ending a crescendo; in this case, the midi
> output show just "get a bit quieter", then resume the same volume.
> Either that, or give a better warning message.
>
> Bug squad: do your stuff.
I am very sorry, i can not find original post; anyway.

Original poster, please, provide a minimal example.

I've tried[1] those lines by Mark[2] with "no success" -- i could not
reproduce error message mentioned.

I am sorry, very probably this is my fault. Please, provide a minimal example.

__________________
 1. % lilypond compiles this with no error:
    \version "2.13.32"  % 2.12 does not issue "programming error", too.
    \relative c'' {
        g\f\< a b\f c
        g\f\< a b\p c
        g\p\> a b\p c
        g\p\> a b\f c
    }
 2. http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-11/msg00240.html

--
  Dmytro O. Redchuk
  Bug Squad

Re: (de)crescendo on items with specified volume

Mark Polesky
Dmytro O. Redchuk wrote:
> I am very sorry, i can not find original post; anyway.
>
> Original poster, please, provide a minimal example.
>
> I've tried[1] those lines by Mark[2] with "no success" --
> i could not reproduce error message mentioned.
>
> I am sorry, very probably this is my fault. Please,
> provide a minimal example.

Dmytro,

Since the error is with the midi engine, you need to add a
\midi block to the \score (see below).

- Mark

* * * * * * * * * *

\version "2.13.32"

music = \relative c'' {
  c4\f\< c c\f c |
  c4\f\< c c\p c |
  c4\p\> c c\p c |
  c4\p\> c c\f c |

  c4\p\< c\! c\< c\f |
  c4\f\> c\! c\> c\p |

  \music
  \layout {}
  \midi {}

On Mon 06 Sep 2010, 08:47 Mark Polesky wrote:
> Dmytro,
>
> Since the error is with the midi engine, you need to add a
> \midi block to the \score (see below).
:-)
Thanks!

Thanks to all of you, added as 1253: