cre - - sen - - do

12

cre - - sen - - do

Derek
Hi there, I have been searching for a while but I can't seem to find anything like this. Does anyone know what I would use to spread a dynamic marking like the one in the picture over a few notes or bars?

Re: cre - - sen - - do

SoundsFromSound
Hello,

Does this snippet help you?

___

\version "2.17.17"

\relative c''
{

\override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) =
  \markup { \upright "rit." }
b1\startTextSpan c
e,\stopTextSpan

}

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/writing-text#text-spanners

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Derek
Hey thanks, I tried that but I can't see a way to spread the syllables across which is what I am looking for.

Re: cre - - sen - - do

SoundsFromSound
Oh, you mean like a text spanner?

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/snippets/expressive-marks

(see down the page a bit, in the "Creating text spanners" sections.)
There you can customize the text and stretch it as needed.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Derek wrote
Hey thanks, I tried that but I can't see a way to spread the syllables across which is what I am looking for.
composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Jay Anderson
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM, SoundsFromSound
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh, you mean like a text spanner?

Close, but I think what's being asked isn't currently possible. We can
set the left and right text with dashed line in between (cresc --
endo), but not set any intermediate text (cre -- scen -- do). I
believe this has been discussed in the past, but I couldn't find an
enhancement request filed.

-----Jay

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Derek
Hi Jay,
Thanks for that. I assume this means at this juncture it isn't possible? cheers

Re: cre - - sen - - do

k-ohara5a5a
Derek <cushy <at> shmerek.com> writes:

> Thanks for that. I assume this means at this juncture it isn't possible?
> cheers

Writing a chain of crescendos spelling out each syllable is possible

{ b2-\tweak#'text"cres"\cresc b
  b-\tweak#'text"cen"\cresc b
  b-\tweak#'text"do"\cresc b
  b1\f }

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Shane Brandes
No but if it is a relatively small score you can fight with using mark up and sort of spreading the bits out manually. I have done it a few times and it can work out reasonably well, but there does not at the moment seem to be an automagical way.

Shane

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 1:11 AM, Derek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jay,
Thanks for that. I assume this means at this juncture it isn't possible?
cheers

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Derek
Awesome that works thanks! Thank you everybody who took the time to comment

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Madoka Machitani
Hello :)

This is trivial, but having functions like these might help ease typing a lot:

#(define (span-maker type)
   (lambda (text)
     (make-music 'type
                 'span-direction START
                 'span-type 'text
                 'span-text text)))

textCresc =
#(define-event-function (parser location text)
   (markup?)
   ((span-maker 'CrescendoEvent) text))

textDecresc =
#(define-event-function (parser location text)
   (markup?)
   ((span-maker 'DecrescendoEvent) text))

%% usage
{ b2\textCresc "cres" b
  b\textCresc "cen" b
  b\textCresc "do" b
  b1\f }

Best,

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Keith OHara <[hidden email]> wrote:
Derek <cushy <at> shmerek.com> writes:

> Thanks for that. I assume this means at this juncture it isn't possible?
> cheers

Writing a chain of crescendos spelling out each syllable is possible

{ b2-\tweak#'text"cres"\cresc b
  b-\tweak#'text"cen"\cresc b
  b-\tweak#'text"do"\cresc b
  b1\f }

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Nick Payne-3
This does it, at the expense of having to enter several tweak commands
and manually pick the location for the central syllable:

   \new Staff \relative c' {
     \repeat unfold 12 { c4 }
   }
   \new Dynamics {
     s1-\tweak bound-details.left.text "cres "
     -\tweak bound-details.right.padding #1 \startTextSpan
     s4 s2.\stopTextSpan-\tweak bound-details.left.text "cen "
     -\tweak bound-details.right.text " do"
     -\tweak bound-details.right.padding #2
     \startTextSpan s2. s4\stopTextSpan

RE: cre - - sen - - do

Daniel Rosen

Even better, IMHO:

cre = -\tweak #'text #"cre" \cresc
scen = -\tweak #'text #"scen" \cresc
do = -\tweak #'text #"do" -\tweak #'style #'none \cresc

{
  b2\cre b
  b\scen b
  b\do b
  b1\f
}

DR

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Werner LEMBERG

> Even better, IMHO:
>
> cre = -\tweak #'text #"cre" \cresc
> scen = -\tweak #'text #"scen" \cresc
> do = -\tweak #'text #"do" -\tweak #'style #'none \cresc
>
> {
>   b2\cre b
>   b\scen b
>   b\do b
>   b1\f
> }

With the current development version, it's even more compact:

  cre = -\tweak text #"cre" \cresc
  scen = -\tweak text #"scen" \cresc
  do = -\tweak text #"do" -\tweak style #'none \cresc

  {
    b2\cre b
    b\scen b
    b\do b
    b1\f
  }

     Werner

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Eluze
Jay Anderson wrote
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh, you mean like a text spanner?

Close, but I think what's being asked isn't currently possible. We can
set the left and right text with dashed line in between (cresc --
endo), but not set any intermediate text (cre -- scen -- do). I
believe this has been discussed in the past, but I couldn't find an
enhancement request filed.
there are 2 LSR snippets:
  Center text below hairpin dynamics: http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=233
  Hairpin placed between two \markup or parenthesized hairpin: http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=771

which probably could be merged to get at least 3 syllables/markups to span between the notes. I'm afraid a lot of scheme knowledge is required to do that!

if you feel this approach is worth it you should post a feature request to the bug list.

Eluze

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Derek
Would one do that, bug list thing, on the google project page?

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Eluze
Derek wrote
Would one do that, bug list thing, on the google project page?
bug list (the google issue tracker is reserved for developers and bug squad members )

thanks
Eluze

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Wilbert Berendsen-6
Op Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:55:31 -0700 (PDT)
Derek <[hidden email]> schreef:

> Hi there, I have been searching for a while but I can't seem to find
> anything like this. Does anyone know what I would use to spread a
> dynamic marking like the one in the picture over a few notes or bars?
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n145225/2013-04-30_15.41.56.jpg>

In the Reubke score I did it like this:

\relative c'' {
  \set crescendoSpanner = #'text
  \set crescendoText = #"poco "
  c4\< d e f
  \set crescendoText = #"a "
  g4 f\< e d
  \set crescendoText = #"poco "
  c4 d e f \<
  g4 f e d
  \set crescendoText = #"cresc. "
  c2\< d
  e1\ff

Wilbert Berendsen
(http://www.wilbertberendsen.nl)

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Nick Payne-3
On 01/05/13 23:42, Wilbert Berendsen wrote:

> Op Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:55:31 -0700 (PDT)
> Derek <[hidden email]> schreef:
>
>> Hi there, I have been searching for a while but I can't seem to find
>> anything like this. Does anyone know what I would use to spread a
>> dynamic marking like the one in the picture over a few notes or bars?
>> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n145225/2013-04-30_15.41.56.jpg>
> In the Reubke score I did it like this:
>
> \relative c'' {
>    \set crescendoSpanner = #'text
>    \set crescendoText = #"poco "
>    c4\< d e f
>    \set crescendoText = #"a "
>    g4 f\< e d
>    \set crescendoText = #"poco "
>    c4 d e f \<
>    g4 f e d
>    \set crescendoText = #"cresc. "
>    c2\< d
>    e1\ff
> }

Wouldn't it be easier on the performer to have "cresc. poco a poco" or
"dim. poco a poco", so that they don't have to scan to the end of the
phrase to see if it is a crescendo or diminuendo.

Nick

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Derek
Thanks for all the responses there are lots of options to try here

Re: cre - - sen - - do

Stemby
Il 30/04/2013 06:36, Jay Anderson ha scritto:
> I believe this has been discussed in the past, but I couldn't find an
> enhancement request filed.

This is the old thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/29244/

Bye,
Carlo

--
   .-.  | Registered Linux User #443882                        |  .''`.
   oo|  | http://linuxcounter.net/                             | : :'  :

12