counter for voltas with no alternative endings?

counter for voltas with no alternative endings?

Stig Brautaset
Hi,

I'm trying to engrave some music that has 4 bars repeated 8 times. I can
use a volta, but since there is no alternative ending it doesn't print
the number of repeats. Is there any way to force that to print?

Here's a minimal example. The first volta doesn't print the number of
repeats, the second does. Should I perhaps be using percent repeats
instead...?

----8<----[ q2.ly ]----8<--------8<----
\version "2.19.80"
\relative c' {
  \repeat volta 8 {
  \repeat volta 8 {
  \alternative {
----8<--------8<--------8<--------8<----

The generated PDF is here:

Regards,

Stig

q2.pdf (45K) Download Attachment

RE: counter for voltas with no alternative endings?

Mark Stephen Mrotek
Stig Brautaset:

Something like this from
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/long-repeats?

voltaAdLib = \markup { 1. 2. 3... \text \italic { ad lib. } }
\relative {
  c''1
  \set Score.repeatCommands =
    #(list(list 'volta voltaAdLib) 'start-repeat)
  c4 b d e
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "4.") end-repeat)
  f1
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
}

Mark

RE: counter for voltas with no alternative endings?

Stig Brautaset
Thanks! I actually found that example earlier, but didn't realise that
it applied to my case... Thinking a bit about it I got it to work,
however.

Regards,

Stig
"Mark Stephen Mrotek" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Stig Brautaset:
>
> Something like this from
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/long-repeats?
>

> voltaAdLib = \markup { 1. 2. 3... \text \italic { ad lib. } }
> \relative {
>   c''1
>   \set Score.repeatCommands =
>     #(list(list 'volta voltaAdLib) 'start-repeat)
>   c4 b d e
>   \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "4.") end-repeat)
>   f1
>   \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
> }
>
> Mark

Federico Bruni-2
Are you sure it applies to your case?
You said you did not have alternatives...

See the simple workaround suggested in this issue:

Il giorno dom 17 feb 2019 alle 0:41, Stig Brautaset
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Thanks! I actually found that example earlier, but didn't realise that
> it applied to my case... Thinking a bit about it I got it to work,
> however.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stig
> "Mark Stephen Mrotek" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>  Stig Brautaset:
>>
>>  Something like this from
>>  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/long-repeats?
>>

>>  voltaAdLib = \markup { 1. 2. 3... \text \italic { ad lib. } }
>>  \relative {
>>    c''1
>>    \set Score.repeatCommands =
>>      #(list(list 'volta voltaAdLib) 'start-repeat)
>>    c4 b d e
>>    \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "4.") end-repeat)
>>    f1
>>    \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
>>  }
>>
>>  Mark

Hi Federico,

Well, I won't try to explain I understand how it works, but I was able
to adapt it to something that gives me the result I want:

\version "2.19.80"
eight = \markup {8.}
\repeat volta 8 {
  %% This numbers the repeat block.
  \set Score.repeatCommands =
  #(list(list 'volta eight) 'start-repeat)
  c1 | d | e | f |

Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> writes:

> Are you sure it applies to your case?
> You said you did not have alternatives...
>
> See the simple workaround suggested in this issue:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/1409/
>

> Il giorno dom 17 feb 2019 alle 0:41, Stig Brautaset
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> Thanks! I actually found that example earlier, but didn't realise that
>> it applied to my case... Thinking a bit about it I got it to work,
>> however.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Stig
>> "Mark Stephen Mrotek" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>>  Stig Brautaset:
>>>
>>>  Something like this from
>>>  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/long-repeats?
>>>

>>>  voltaAdLib = \markup { 1. 2. 3... \text \italic { ad lib. } }
>>>  \relative {
>>>    c''1
>>>    \set Score.repeatCommands =
>>>      #(list(list 'volta voltaAdLib) 'start-repeat)
>>>    c4 b d e
>>>    \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "4.") end-repeat)
>>>    f1
>>>    \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
>>>  }
>>>
>>>  Mark

I see. AFAIK it's not standard notation (I mean, I would interpret it
as the 8th volta of a missing repeat section), but if that's what you
want... :-)

Aaron Hill
On 2019-02-18 9:28 pm, Federico Bruni wrote:

> I see. AFAIK it's not standard notation (I mean, I would interpret it
> as the 8th volta of a missing repeat section), but if that's what you
> want... :-)
>

> Il giorno lun 18 feb 2019 alle 20:06, Stig Brautaset
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> Hi Federico,
>>
>> Well, I won't try to explain I understand how it works, but I was able
>> to adapt it to something that gives me the result I want:
>>
>> \version "2.19.80"
>> eight = \markup {8.}
>> \repeat volta 8 {
>>   %% This numbers the repeat block.
>>   \set Score.repeatCommands =
>>   #(list(list 'volta eight) 'start-repeat)
>>   c1 | d | e | f |
>>   \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
>> }

I would recommend using simple markup either at the beginning or end of
the repeated section with the clear instruction to repeat the
appropriate number of times.  This avoids anything potentially
non-standard.

Otherwise, you could just duplicate the last measure as if it were an
alternate, and then the normal volta brackets should work.  It is
certainly not that uncommon to see volta sections with duplicated
measures across alternates.  Sometimes one does it to provide more
context across a line break or page turn.

-- Aaron Hill

Aaron Hill <[hidden email]> writes:
> On 2019-02-18 9:28 pm, Federico Bruni wrote:
>> I see. AFAIK it's not standard notation (I mean, I would interpret it
>> as the 8th volta of a missing repeat section), but if that's what you
>> want... :-)
[...]
> I would recommend using simple markup either at the beginning or end of
> the repeated section with the clear instruction to repeat the
> appropriate number of times.  This avoids anything potentially
> non-standard.

Thank you both for that. I don't want to cause confusion, so I'll
rethink my approach here.

> Otherwise, you could just duplicate the last measure as if it were an
> alternate, and then the normal volta brackets should work.  It is
> certainly not that uncommon to see volta sections with duplicated
> measures across alternates.  Sometimes one does it to provide more
> context across a line break or page turn.

This sounds like a sensible approach. Thank you!

Stig