copyright symbol?

Ian Stirling-5
I have the following line in lilypond 2.4.2 ..
tagline="Engraved by LilyPond, 2.4.2 { } Copyright \copyright { } 2005 Ian Stirling, { } Some Rights Reserved
With 2.4.2 the \copyright was printed as the copyright symbol.

I used convert-ly in 2.11.0 to update the file,
but that copyright symbol isn't translated by convert-ly.

Ian

Re: copyright symbol?

Mats Bengtsson-4
Right! convert-ly doesn't make any attempt to translate embedded TeX
commands like \copyright. The simple solution is to open the file in your
text editor, insert the character © where you want it (on my computer, I can
get the symbol by pressing Alt gr and "C", but you may have to use some
Character Map program to find it) and then save the file in UTF-8 encoding.

   /Mats

Ian Stirling wrote:

> I have the following line in lilypond 2.4.2 ..
> tagline="Engraved by LilyPond, 2.4.2 { } Copyright \copyright { } 2005 Ian Stirling, { } Some Rights Reserved
> With 2.4.2 the \copyright was printed as the copyright symbol.
>
> I used convert-ly in 2.11.0 to update the file,
> but that copyright symbol isn't translated by convert-ly.
>
> Ian

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: copyright symbol?

Ian Stirling-5

> and then save the file in UTF-8 encoding.

 Does this mean that lilypond output is no longer
controlled by an ascii file?
 I thought the beauty of Lilypond was music output
is based on a text file input.

Ian

Re: copyright symbol?

Johannes Schindelin
Hi,

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Ian Stirling wrote:

> On Thursday 30 November 2006 02:38, you wrote:
>
> > and then save the file in UTF-8 encoding.
>
>  Does this mean that lilypond output is no longer
> controlled by an ascii file?
>  I thought the beauty of Lilypond was music output
> is based on a text file input.

Last time I checked, UTF-8 was text. Seriously, if you think that ASCII is
adequate for text, then you are one of those poor souls never having met
anything but English literature. Heck, you cannot even encode the _name_
of the composer of the fireworks suite!

Ciao,
Dscho

Re: copyright symbol?

Ian Stirling-5
On Friday 01 December 2006 13:56, you wrote:

> Last time I checked, UTF-8 was text. Seriously, if you think that ASCII is
> adequate for text, then you are one of those poor souls never having met
> anything but English literature. Heck, you cannot even encode the _name_
> of the composer of the fireworks suite!

  Thanks. I've switched to a utf-8 capable version
of 'vim'.   It displays the copyright symbol correctly
and with the '-b' switch shows it as <a9>.

I get the following messages with 2.11.0 when I run lilypond
on the latest updated kubuntu - and the resulting pdf doesn't
contain the copyright symbol.

ians@fuoco:~/music/lilypond$ lilypond nuthatch.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.11.0
Processing `nuthatch.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [8][16][24][30]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
programming error: FT_Get_Glyph_Name returns error
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Glyph has no name, but font supports glyph naming.
Skipping glyph U+FFFFFFFF, file /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf//CenturySchL-Roma.otf
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: FT_Get_Glyph_Name returns error
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Glyph has no name, but font supports glyph naming.
Skipping glyph U+1000000A, file /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf//CenturySchL-Roma.otf
continuing, cross fingers
Layout output to `nuthatch.ps'...
Converting to `nuthatch.pdf'...

Ian

Re: copyright symbol?

Ian Stirling-5
On Friday 01 December 2006 15:15, Ian Stirling wrote:

> I get the following messages with 2.11.0 when I run lilypond
> on the latest updated kubuntu - and the resulting pdf doesn't
> contain the copyright symbol.

[snip]

  I fetched the source tarball. './configure' shows a lot
missing and ends with -
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

I'll install all the missing 'no' and compile from source
to see if the problem still exists.

ian

Re: copyright symbol?

Ian Stirling-5
On Friday 01 December 2006 15:26, Ian Stirling wrote:

> I'll install all the missing 'no' and compile from source
> to see if the problem still exists.

'make failed at building the documentation thus:

lilypond-2.11.0/out/bin/../share/lilypond/2.11.0/ly/music-functions-init.ly:181:1: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (use-modules (scm display-lily))
invalid module name for use-syntax ((srfi srfi-39))
/home/ians/fetches/tmp/lilypond-2.11.0/out/bin/../share/lilypond/2.11.0/ly/music-functions-init.ly:181:5: error: syntax error, unexpected '-', expecting '='
#(use
     -modules (scm display-lily))

'make install'  installed lilypond but I get the following
error messages when trying to put in a copyright symbol:

ians@fuoco:~/music/lilypond$ lilypond nuthatch.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.11.0
Processing `nuthatch.ly'
Parsing...
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.11.0/ly/music-functions-init.ly:181:1: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (use-modules (scm display-lily))
invalid module name for use-syntax ((srfi srfi-39))
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.11.0/ly/music-functions-init.ly:181:5: error: syntax error, unexpected '-', expecting '='
#(use
     -modules (scm display-lily))
Interpreting music... [8][16][24][30]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
programming error: FT_Get_Glyph_Name returns error
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Glyph has no name, but font supports glyph naming.
Skipping glyph U+FFFFFFFF, file /usr/local/share/lilypond/2.11.0/fonts/otf//CenturySchL-Roma.otf
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: FT_Get_Glyph_Name returns error
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Glyph has no name, but font supports glyph naming.
Skipping glyph U+1000000A, file /usr/local/share/lilypond/2.11.0/fonts/otf//CenturySchL-Roma.otf
continuing, cross fingers
Layout output to `nuthatch.ps'...
Converting to `nuthatch.pdf'...
error: failed files: "nuthatch.ly"

Ian

Re: copyright symbol?

Before spending lots of time compiling your own version,
you should really make sure that the file is saved in UTF-8
and nothing else. For example, you can use the command "file":
 >file myfile.ly
myfile.ly: UTF-8 Unicode text

By the way, the compilation error you got is probably due to
the Guile version. If I remember correctly, it works with
1.6.7 and 1.8.x but not with 1.6.8 (check the mailing list
archives).

   /Mats