copyright symbol

Joseph Rank
I've read and tried all the suggestions for inserting a copyright symbol
in the "copyright" field of the header, but no matter what I type in, it
always comes out (nearly) literally as I typed it. For example

\header {
copyright = \markup { "Copyright \\copyright \ 2001 by Joseph Rank" }
... }

renders:

Copyright \copyright \ 2001 by Joseph Rank

in the footer of the first page.

Also, neither the copyright nor the tagline fields are documented in the
documentation that describes the header. Instead, they are somewhat
circuitously mentioned in the page formatting documentation.

I am using Lilypond 2.6.0 on a Windows XP platform.

My hats off to you guys...Lilypond is a fantastic piece of software. I
love it and use it a lot. Keep up the excellent work,

-Joe

Re: copyright symbol

Graham Percival

On 30-Jun-05, at 2:38 AM, Joseph Rank wrote:

> I've read and tried all the suggestions for inserting a copyright
> symbol in the "copyright" field of the header, but no matter what I
> type in, it always comes out (nearly) literally as I typed it. For
> example

See the section on Text encoding.  ie include the copyright symbol
directly and
save the file as utf-8.

> Also, neither the copyright nor the tagline fields are documented in
> the documentation that describes the header. Instead, they are
> somewhat circuitously mentioned in the page formatting documentation.

Thanks, fixed in CVS.

Re: copyright symbol

Joseph Rank
Graham Percival wrote:

> On 30-Jun-05, at 2:38 AM, Joseph Rank wrote:
>
>> I've read and tried all the suggestions for inserting a copyright
>> symbol in the "copyright" field of the header, but no matter what I
>> type in, it always comes out (nearly) literally as I typed it. For
>> example
>

> See the section on Text encoding.  ie include the copyright symbol
> directly and
> save the file as utf-8.
>
>> Also, neither the copyright nor the tagline fields are documented in
>> the documentation that describes the header. Instead, they are
>> somewhat circuitously mentioned in the page formatting documentation.
>

> Thanks, fixed in CVS.
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Thanks, GP, your suggestion worked for me. I changed the file encoding
to UTF-8 (by adding the line "set enc=utf8" to my _vimrc file), opened
the character map in the Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools
menu, selected and copied the copyright symbol, and pasted it into the
source file. Lilypond had no trouble with it, and the PDF output
correctly displays the symbol.

Kind regards,

-Joe Rank