connecting lines (spanners?) between arbitrary grobs/locations

connecting lines (spanners?) between arbitrary grobs/locations

Kieren MacMillan
Hello all,

Inspired by a thread on the -user list, and my own recent struggles with the issue, I'm wondering about the technical possibilities of connecting arbitrary grobs on a system or page.

I've attached a screenshot of a Schenker graph (one of 22 I was hired to code for a music theory journal) in which I needed to have arrows connecting two notes (or at least pointing from one towards the other). One example was within a single staff, another was between two staves. In order to do this quickly, I resorted to trial-and-error markups — but I would have loved a mechanism by which I could identify the two "end-grobs", and then have the line/arrow/bracket/whatever drawn automagically.

I know we have spanner-id to connect multiple/nested spanners (e.g., slurs) in a single context.
Can the same concept be used between contexts?

Thanks for any insights!
Kieren.

Re: connecting lines (spanners?) between arbitrary grobs/locations

Simon Albrecht-2
On 14.06.2017 19:51, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> I've attached a screenshot of a Schenker graph

That seems to have gone amiss…

Best, Simon

Re: connecting lines (spanners?) between arbitrary grobs/locations

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Simon,

> On 14.06.2017 19:51, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> I've attached a screenshot of a Schenker graph
>
> That seems to have gone amiss…

That's the second time I've posted a screenshot, and the second time it didn't make it to the list.
Is there something I need to do to get images to post?

Thanks,

On 14.06.2017 22:44, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>> On 14.06.2017 19:51, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>>> I've attached a screenshot of a Schenker graph
>> That seems to have gone amiss…
> That's the second time I've posted a screenshot, and the second time it didn't make it to the list.
> Is there something I need to do to get images to post?

Crop/reduce/compress/post a link to external online storage… ? I’d
assume it’s only a file size issue.
Best, Simon

Re: connecting lines (spanners?) between arbitrary grobs/locations

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Simon,

> I’d assume it’s only a file size issue.

Here's a 71KB version.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Re: connecting lines (spanners?) between arbitrary grobs/locations

Kieren MacMillan
> Here's a 71KB version.

… or not.  :\

On 14.06.2017 22:53, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Here's a 71KB version.

I can see it displayed below the footer in Thunderbird, though not as an
ordinary attachment and it’s not a Schenker graph, but 7 staves of
ordinary notation plus some annotations…
Best, Simon

Re: connecting lines (spanners?) between arbitrary grobs/locations

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Simon,

> I can see it displayed below the footer in Thunderbird, though not as an ordinary attachment

Hmmm… curious.

> and it’s not a Schenker graph, but 7 staves of ordinary notation plus some annotations…

No, it's absolutely a Schenker graph: it's an analysis of [parts of] a Corelli sonata.

Cheers,
Kieren.