compressing full-bar rests

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi List,

I have a general question. Has compression of full-bar rests been somehow disabled? I have the following score:

\version "2.21.1"

global= {
 \time 4/8
  }
%% (and whatever other settings I want)

oDAMusic =  \relative c'' {
    \key f \minor
    R2*12

    | %13
    r4 bes
\new Staff = "Staff_oboeDA" <<
      \global \oDAMusic

}

-------------------------
The 'R2*12' statement used to compress down into a multi-measure rest, but now it's writing them all out. Is this a bug of some sort?

Thanks for the help,

Re: compressing full-bar rests

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi Francesco,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 11:20 AM Francesco Intrieri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrew !

Is it possible that you forgot to write \compressFullBarRests before R2*12 ?

When I do that, I get an error about an "unrecognized escape string" (even though it comes up in the auto-complete popup).

Is there something wrong specifically with 2.21.1, that it doesn't recognize full-bar-rest compression?

Re: compressing full-bar rests

Aaron Hill
On 2020-09-28 2:22 am, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:

> Hi Francesco,
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 11:20 AM Francesco Intrieri <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew !
>>
>> Is it possible that you forgot to write \compressFullBarRests before
>> R2*12
>> ?
>>

> When I do that, I get an error about an "unrecognized escape string"
> (even
> though it comes up in the auto-complete popup).
>
> Is there something wrong specifically with 2.21.1, that it doesn't
> recognize full-bar-rest compression?

See [1] and [2].  It's \compressEmptyMeasures now.

[1]: https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4375
[2]:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/writing-rests#index-length-of-multi_002dmeasure-rest

-- Aaron Hill

Re: compressing full-bar rests

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi Aaron,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 11:34 AM Aaron Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:

See [1] and [2].  It's \compressEmptyMeasures now.

That was it! Thank you. I wonder why that doesn't show up in the auto-complete popup.

Re: compressing full-bar rests

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno lun 28 set 2020 alle 12:02, N. Andrew Walsh
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 11:34 AM Aaron Hill
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  See [1] and [2].  It's \compressEmptyMeasures now.
>
> That was it! Thank you. I wonder why that doesn't show up in the
> auto-complete popup.

In Frescobaldi?
Because Frescobaldi so far supports only the syntax of the latest
stable release. But the quickly module, replacing the ly module, will
support multiple versions. See the discussion here:
https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/issues/1292