comparing lilypond (was Re: More pictures to manual)

comparing lilypond (was Re: More pictures to manual)

andersvi-2
It would be extremely useful for someone wanting to compare the
work and performance of Lilypond to other tools to look at
typesetting of some "real-life" examples, examples which have
already been used for such comparisons.

One such set of examples is at CCARH:

 http://www.ccarh.org/publications/reprints/ieee/INDEX.HTM

If we could compare both the printed results and the coding
involved with other tools we already work with, it would be an
indication of how a day of real work would look in lilypond.

-anders

>>> "R" == Roman  <K├Ąppeler <[hidden email]>> writes:
R>
R> Hi,
R> I don't know whos making the documentation for Lilypond, but my
R> suggestion is to put many, many, many ...  more pictures to the manual!

RE: comparing lilypond (was Re: More pictures to manual)

Fairchild
Following the link Anders' provided finds a rich source of scores coded in
Humdrum/**kern.  Anyone know if there exists S/W to convert Humdrum code to
Lilypond?

                                  - Bruce

bobroff@centrum.is

At 04:01 PM 6/12/2005 -0500, Fairchild wrote:
>Following the link Anders' provided finds a rich source of scores coded in
>Humdrum/**kern.  Anyone know if there exists S/W to convert Humdrum code to
>Lilypond?

Well, after looking up what Humdrum/**kern was all about I found this page:

http://www.ccarh.org/courses/253/lab/kernnotation/

With this quote;

 "You may also use the translation from Humdrum into MusicXML to import the
musical data into other programs listed on the recordare.com website, such
as LilyPond."

Following the link to recordare.com I found:

http://www.recordare.com/software.html

..and at the bottom of the page the line;

 "Guido Amoruso has announced an early version of his xml2ly XSLT
stylesheet for translating MusicXML into the LilyPond format."

That line contained a link to:

http://www.nongnu.org/xml2ly/

But...under the "To Do" list on this page is a reference to Lilypond 1.7
syntax for chords.  The output may be rather out of date.

-David

Re: comparing lilypond (was Re: More pictures to manual)

Han-Wen Nienhuys
David Bobroff wrote:
>>Following the link Anders' provided finds a rich source of scores coded in
>>Humdrum/**kern.  Anyone know if there exists S/W to convert Humdrum code to
>>Lilypond?
>>

> Well, after looking up what Humdrum/**kern was all about I found this page:
>
> http://www.ccarh.org/courses/253/lab/kernnotation/

Humdrum is a rather simple format, IIRC. It would be quicker and easier
to write a small python program to do the conversion directly.

RE: comparing lilypond (was Re: More pictures to manual)

Fairchild
Student project?