coloring notes according harmonic function

coloring notes according harmonic function

Gianmaria Lari
Is there any automatic way to color the notes of a simple piece in a specified tonality according to their harmonic function?

For example: the tonic in red colour, the dominant in green colour etc. etc ?

This is just a curiosity. I was thinking that this could be useful for didactical reason.
g.

Re: coloring notes according harmonic function

Christopher R. Maden
On 06/18/2017 12:26 PM, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
> Is there any automatic way to color the notes of a simple piece in a
> specified tonality according to their harmonic function?
>
> For example: the tonic in red colour, the dominant in green colour etc. etc
> ?
>
> This is just a curiosity. I was thinking that this could be useful for
> didactical reason.

Take a look at how shape note heads work.  That should give you a clue...

~Chris
--
Chris Maden, text nerd
Emperor Norton had the right idea.

On 18 June 2017 at 19:47, Christopher R. Maden <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/18/2017 12:26 PM, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
Is there any automatic way to color the notes of a simple piece in a
specified tonality according to their harmonic function?
[....]

Take a look at how shape note heads work.  That should give you a clue...

Thank you Christopher!!!

Just in case other are interested, here is a link to the manual that discuss it

g.

Re: coloring notes according harmonic function

Manuela
There are two snippets in the repository which demonstrate how to color the noteheads

http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=572

http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=897

On 18 June 2017 at 19:47, Christopher R. Maden <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/18/2017 12:26 PM, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
Is there any automatic way to color the notes of a simple piece in a
specified tonality according to their harmonic function?
[....]

Take a look at how shape note heads work.  That should give you a clue...

Thank you Christopher!!!

Just in case other are interested, here is a link to the manual that discuss it

g.

Re: coloring notes according harmonic function

Rita Composer
Dear Experts,

Still colouring/shape-ing

So we have 3 voices and we would like them in different colours.
But when I change ONLY the third voice colour, it affects the second voice coloure as well. (Blue)
Simmilarly I changed only the third voice's shape and the second turned to the same shape automatically. (first line)
Why?

shape = {
  \override NoteHead.style = #'harmonic
}

EgyHárom = \relative c' { \egyoszlop
  \TimeSet
 \key es \major
 \shape b\breve \kicsinyK b4
  b\breve \kicsinyV b4 \kicsinyK b \kicsinyV b b \kicsinyK b \kicsinyV b
  c\breve c4 \kicsinyK c \kicsinyV c g_( \kicsinyK g \kicsinyV g) g
   \cadenzaOff

    \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"1 "
      \new Voice \voiceOne \EgyEgy
      \new Voice \voiceTwo \EgyKettő
      \new Voice \voiceThree \EgyHárom

    \layout {
      \context {
        \Voice
        \override Stem.length = #0
      }
      indent = #30
      line-width = #170
    }
    %   \header {
    %    piece = "1. római zsoltártónus"}

On 06/18/2017 12:26 PM, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
Is there any automatic way to color the notes of a simple piece in a
specified tonality according to their harmonic function?

For example: the tonic in red colour, the dominant in green colour etc. etc
?

This is just a curiosity. I was thinking that this could be useful for
didactical reason.

Take a look at how shape note heads work.  That should give you a clue...

~Chris
--
Chris Maden, text nerd
Emperor Norton had the right idea.

colouring.png (39K) Download Attachment

Re: coloring notes according harmonic function

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Hello Rita,

I tried your code, but commands such as \egyoszlop are unknown to off-the-shelf Lily.

Where can they be found?

JM

Le 7 sept. 2017 à 19:02, Rita Composer <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

This is it:

egyoszlop = \override NoteColumn.ignore-collision = ##t

because without it, the noteheads wouldn't stay in one.

I attache th 2 source files (elobeallitasokJn + romaitonusok.ly)
plus the Note. (romaitonusokprogramban.ly)

Thanks for dealing with it.
sr Judit
from Hungary
(a franciscan sister)

[...]

elobeallaitasokJn.ly (3K) Download Attachment
romaitonusok.ly (12K) Download Attachment
romaitonusokprogram.ly (8K) Download Attachment

Rita Composer <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear Experts,
>
> Still colouring/shape-ing
>
> So we have 3 voices

No, you don't.

> and we would like them in different colours.  But when I change ONLY
> the third voice colour, it affects the second voice coloure as
> well. (Blue) Simmilarly I changed only the third voice's shape and the
> second turned to the same shape automatically. (first line) Why?
>
> shape = {
>   \override NoteHead.style = #'harmonic
> }
>
> EgyHárom = \relative c' { \egyoszlop
>   \TimeSet
>  \key es \major
>  \shape b\breve \kicsinyK b4
>   b\breve \kicsinyV b4 \kicsinyK b \kicsinyV b b \kicsinyK b \kicsinyV b
>   c\breve c4 \kicsinyK c \kicsinyV c g_( \kicsinyK g \kicsinyV g) g
>    \cadenzaOff
>
> }
>
>   \score {
>     \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"1 "
>     }
>     <<
>       \new Voice \voiceOne \EgyEgy
>       \new Voice \voiceTwo \EgyKettő
>       \new Voice \voiceThree \EgyHárom
>     >>

This is, all in parallel:

    \new Voice \voiceOne
    \EgyEgy
    \new Voice \voiceTwo
    \EgyKettő
    \new Voice \voiceThree
    \EgyHárom

The new voices, consisting only of a single \voiceXXX command, will
cease before the next moment and all expressions will share the same
Voice.

I am surprised you are only complaining about the colors rather than
stem directions, collision avoidance and so on.

Fwd: coloring notes according harmonic function

Rita Composer
Dear David and other Experts,

Unfortunately I couldn't really follow you.

I understand, that our  beginner production is bleeding from many wounds. :-)

You say that we have no 3 voices just one
And how can we separate them, if we would like to have them in one line/row?

In as little place as we can, and with different colours/ or shapes?

So we are more or less satisfied with the "look" of the note

I attache how it looks like

Rita Composer <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear Experts,
>
> Still colouring/shape-ing
>
> So we have 3 voices

No, you don't.

> and we would like them in different colours.  But when I change ONLY
> the third voice colour, it affects the second voice coloure as
> well. (Blue) Simmilarly I changed only the third voice's shape and the
> second turned to the same shape automatically. (first line) Why?
>
> shape = {
>   \override NoteHead.style = #'harmonic
> }
>
> EgyHárom = \relative c' { \egyoszlop
>   \TimeSet
>  \key es \major
>  \shape b\breve \kicsinyK b4
>   b\breve \kicsinyV b4 \kicsinyK b \kicsinyV b b \kicsinyK b \kicsinyV b
>   c\breve c4 \kicsinyK c \kicsinyV c g_( \kicsinyK g \kicsinyV g) g
>    \cadenzaOff
>
> }
>
>   \score {
>     \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"1 "
>     }
>     <<
>       \new Voice \voiceOne \EgyEgy
>       \new Voice \voiceTwo \EgyKettő
>       \new Voice \voiceThree \EgyHárom
>     >>

This is, all in parallel:

    \new Voice \voiceOne
    \EgyEgy
    \new Voice \voiceTwo
    \EgyKettő
    \new Voice \voiceThree
    \EgyHárom

The new voices, consisting only of a single \voiceXXX command, will
cease before the next moment and all expressions will share the same
Voice.

I am surprised you are only complaining about the colors rather than
stem directions, collision avoidance and so on.

romaitonusokprogram.pdf (318K) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: coloring notes according harmonic function

Marc Hohl
Am 07.09.2017 um 21:20 schrieb Rita Composer:
> Dear David and other Experts,
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't really follow you.

You have to use

<<
   \new Voice { \voiceOne ... }
   \new Voice { \voiceTwo ... }
   \new Voice { \voiceThree ... }

The curly brackets { ... } are important, otherwise the first \new Voice
ends directly after \voiceOne, and ... is treated as if \voiceOne was
never set.

HTH a bit,

Marc

Re: Fwd: coloring notes according harmonic function

Rita Composer
Dear Marc,

It works!!!
Thank you very much!

And thank you for all the developers, experts for their fantastic work!!

Sister Judit
(Composer is just like Potter/ Young/ Smith - I translated my surname)